Purging Doesn't Always Work

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Post Reply
ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 am

Just wondering if anyone else has any issue when trying to make live changes to phpbb.

For the last couple of hours or so I have been trying to get a simple extension which changes the colour of a username to something with css. Normally when I make changes to the extensions files I will purge the cache and refresh my site to see the changes I've made except lately that doesn't seem to work all the time, sometimes it does, most the time it does not.

I will even try to delete my own browser data, disable/enable to extension, ckear extension data, try a different broswer and even purging Cloudflare's cache but none of that works either.

It's also not just the extension I am having issues with, it can be anything I try to edit in the files, sometimes it will update immediately but most the time it wont. Right now all I am trying to do if made a username fancy with some CSS but after hours of waiting for the update to take I've given up.

User avatar
vader696
Translator
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Krakow, Poland
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by vader696 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:15 am

To make it quick I always change folder name Cache to any other > refresh page > then delete renamed folder.

ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:27 am

vader696 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:15 am
To make it quick I always change folder name Cache to any other > refresh page > then delete renamed folder.
Where is the folder 'Cache' located may I ask? I cannot find it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. But my folder always seems to be empty regardless of what changes I make to the forum, is that normal?

User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 16068
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by david63 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am

There are three points I would make.

1. If you are making a lot of style changes then rather than continually purging the cache got to ACP > General > Load settings > Recompile stale style components = Yes

2. If you have made changes to css files then you may also need to do a "hard" refresh of your browser.

3. Changes may not appear to take affect for some time if you have some form of caching (such as Cloudflare) installed on tour site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66241
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am

there are more than one folder named cache I believe.

the one you are concerned with is in the main folder of your board.

adm
assets
bin
cache


that is the only one you should be worried about. it must be chmod to 777 for it to work.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 am

david63 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 am
There are three points I would make.

1. If you are making a lot of style changes then rather than continually purging the cache got to ACP > General > Load settings > Recompile stale style components = Yes

2. If you have made changes to css files then you may also need to do a "hard" refresh of your browser.

3. Changes may not appear to take affect for some time if you have some form of caching (such as Cloudflare) installed on tour site.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am
there are more than one folder named cache I believe.

the one you are concerned with is in the main folder of your board.

adm
assets
bin
cache


that is the only one you should be worried about. it must be chmod to 777 for it to work.

robert

Thank you for the help. I have tried everything you guys mentioned and for some reason still no success! :evil:

I even went as far as disabling Cloudflare's caching for the mean time.

Then I deleted the Cache folder after changing it to chmod 777, recompiled state style, and empty cache and hard refreshed, deleted browser data, purged cache from ACP, purged cache from Cloudflare CP.

Nothing I do seems to work :lol:

User avatar
canonknipser
Registered User
Posts: 1962
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 am
Location: Germany
Name: Frank Jakobs
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by canonknipser » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 am

You changed the correct resources - i.e. from your active style? Or something from a inactive / unused style?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am

canonknipser wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 am
You changed the correct resources - i.e. from your active style? Or something from a inactive / unused style?
It was the correct style because it did update initially but then when I go to change it either takes forever to change it, like deleting the files and re-uploading it (sometimes works), purging (sometimes) and so on. Most of the time nothing works but. I'm yet to figure out why.

It's also not just this one thing I'm currently working on, it's done it for heaps of stuff, usually when editing HTML, PHP or CSS stuff directly in the file.

User avatar
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3160
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:52 am
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by thecoalman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:05 am

Try uploading a simple test.css file, example.com/test.css

Code: Select all

body {
color:#000
}
Load it into the browser. Make an edit and upload new version. Clear CL cache and refresh browser to see if the edits are present.

If that fails something else along the line is caching it like your ISP.

ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 am

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:05 am
Try uploading a simple test.css file, example.com/test.css

Code: Select all

body {
color:#000
}
Load it into the browser. Make an edit and upload new version. Clear CL cache and refresh browser to see if the edits are present.

If that fails something else along the line is caching it like your ISP.
Thanks, as soon as I read "something else along the line is caching it like your ISP" I opened up CMD and used 'ipconfig /flushdns' and refreshed my site and instantly seen all my changes.

You sir, are a god!

User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by John connor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

That's incredible and would have never thought a DNS purge in the OS would have such an effect.

In general though, when using CloudFlare you should engage developer mode first. Then purge the CloudFlare cache. Make your edits, etc in the board and then purge the board's cache and possibly your browser cache. After that you can turn off developer mode in CloudFlare. If you don't it will go back off in three hours.

I had a weird problem myself with my browser and I thought CloudFlare was doing something. Even after some four years of using CloudFlare I never had an issue. I found out it was in fact a pref in my browser doing something with CloudFlare that was mucking up my saves. You can read about that here if you want: https://cyberpcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=598

ProbablyRaging
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Purging Doesn't Always Work

Post by ProbablyRaging » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 am

John connor wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am
That's incredible and would have never thought a DNS purge in the OS would have such an effect.

In general though, when using CloudFlare you should engage developer mode first. Then purge the CloudFlare cache. Make your edits, etc in the board and then purge the board's cache and possibly your browser cache. After that you can turn off developer mode in CloudFlare. If you don't it will go back off in three hours.

I had a weird problem myself with my browser and I thought CloudFlare was doing something. Even after some four years of using CloudFlare I never had an issue. I found out it was in fact a pref in my browser doing something with CloudFlare that was mucking up my saves. You can read about that here if you want: https://cyberpcforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=598
Yeah it was really a last ditched attempt and was quite surprised when it worked, and seems to continue to work.

As for Cloudflare I already tried putting it into Developer mode and clearing the cache on Cloudlflare and ACP which didn't help.

I'll take a look at the link you posted and see if it can help me further. Thanks

Post Reply

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”