Nucaptcha

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
kronos1

Nucaptcha

Post by kronos1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:40 pm

I use the Nucaptcha ext but for some reason it has stopped working the passed couple of days so I changed to the standard reCaptcha but anyone now trying to register cannot get passed the reCaptcha, the same for anyone who has entered their password incorrectly three times.

Can anyone help please.

EA117

Re: Nucaptcha

Post by EA117 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Not having any fundamental or new issue with reCaptcha v2 here, for what it's worth. I don't have any experience or way to test Nucaptcha.

When you temporarily tried to use reCaptcha instead of Nucaptcha, and configured phpBB with valid reCaptcha v2 keys (as opposed to older v1 keys, and as opposed to not-yet-supported v3 keys), what exactly was the outcome for the users in that case?

"Cannot get past the reCaptcha"... because it presents an error instead of a captcha? Because everything looks valid but simply won't accept correct answers? Because a specific error message comes up?

I see the Simple Image plug-in appears to be working successfully on your site, so it's not that "all captcha methods are suddenly broken." But that does make it seem a little more unusual that "two different ones" may be broken / not working.

Maybe check the PHP version being shown in the PHP Information section of ACP, to confirm your hosting provider didn't upgrade you to PHP 7.3.x without your knowledge. I suppose while you're there, we also need to confirm which phpBB version the board is showing too, since even updating to PHP 7.2.x could be causing new failures depending on how old your phpBB version is.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.

My PHP is set to 5.6 but I can change this to 7.1 up to 7.4 but I leave it as it is as I know nothing about this. My board version is 3.2.7 and I have not uploaded anything to the forum ext or upgrade wise. The board PHP in the ACP states is 5.6.37

The Simple Image captcha does work but it also letting in at least 30 spam registrations through a day.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Agreed, if the PHP version is currently set at 5.6 and the phpBB ACP display confirms 5.6.37 as you indicated, I wouldn't bother or attempt to change anything there.

Still unclear on whether the reCaptcha attempt used v2 keys as required by phpBB 3.2.7. Or what the actual user experience was which is being described as "cannot get past." (Captcha doesn't actually display in the first place; error message occurs, and if so, what error; or everything seems fine but correct solutions are not accepted; etc.)

Oh, are the users possibly getting an "invalid form" result when attempting to proceed? If so, you might test setting "Tie forms to guest sessions:" to "No" under ACP, General, Server Configuration, Security Settings. But it seems like if that was the issue, it would be happening for Simple Image, too.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm

The users tick the captcha and when they save they are receiving the 'The solution you provided was incorrect' message. I do have my board set to activation by Admin which I think should make no difference.

How do I find out what the reCaptch version is.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

kronos1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm
The users tick the captcha and when they save they are receiving the 'The solution you provided was incorrect' message.
That would make me wonder whether the IP address they're coming from has been newly classified as "bad". Hmm, that could potentially also fit with "it fails with multiple captchas" (both reCaptcha and Nucaptcha), too.

Does the same thing happen to you, or does it work fine for you? Can you leave it re-enabled on your board for a bit, and I or someone else can test their results from here? Just to get a second or third opinion on "it's not working for anyone."
kronos1 wrote:
I do have my board set to activation by Admin which I think should make no difference.
Agreed, not expecting any difference to the captcha process in response to that.
kronos1 wrote:
How do I find out what the reCaptch version is.
It would be more a statement of "where did you get your Google reCaptcha keys from?" The phpBB reCaptcha configuration dialog itself makes no assertion as to whether you need or are using v2 keys. We just happen to know "they must be v2 keys", because Google no longer supports v1, and phpBB doesn't support v3. So "are they v2" is a question of "when you went to Google and requested reCaptcha API keys, were you requesting v2 keys?"

But I expected the error being seen for the reCaptcha would have been "invalid API key specified" or similar, and not a silent "solution not correct" error.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes it happens to me also. I have put the recaptcha on s0 you you can have a look.

I never installed the recaptcha, it is not a ext, I thought it come with the software.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm

kronos1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm
Yes it happens to me also. I have put the recaptcha on s0 you you can have a look.
Thanks. I concur that it fails for me too. And I tested through reCaptcha on my own site too, just to confirm reCaptcha itself was indeed "accepting me" from the computer and IP address I'm coming from.

So you can put that back to Simple Image now if you want; that's all the "third opinion" testing I was looking for, anyway.
kronos1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm
I never installed the recaptcha, it is not a ext, I thought it come with the software.
Agreed, it's included with phpBB. But you have to "configure" the reCaptcha plug-in on the Spambot Countermeasures configuration page in ACP, before actually selecting the "reCaptcha" plug-in is an option. (It will be grayed out and un-selectable until you configure it with API keys.) So if not you, "someone" went to Google and requested reCaptcha v2 API keys and configured them on the Spambot Countermeasures configuration page.

Since this testing seems to rule out that it's an intentional rejection of the user's solution, looking elsewhere seems to confirm multiple phpBB users having this type of behavior due to the PHP file_get_contents() configuration on their hosting account:

viewtopic.php?t=2473501
viewtopic.php?t=2429006
viewtopic.php?t=2400996

And even an open bug regarding this: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14988

Do you know where you hosting account's error log records errors (not the access log, but specifically an error log), and do you happen to be seeing file_get_contents()-related warnings being logged there? It might be in the Apache web server error log, or could be in it's own separate PHP-specific error log file.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you for all your help with this EA117 but it's starting to get a bit above my head so I have set the Q&A captha which seems to be working ok so far.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am

Can we have a link to your board and to the nucaptcha extension so we can see what’s happening please?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 am

Mick wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am
Can we have a link to your board and to the nucaptcha extension so we can see what’s happening please?
Sorry but how do I put a link up to the ext.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 am

Copy the url and paste it in to a post.

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 am

Mick wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 am
Copy the url and paste it in to a post.
Hopefully this is correct.
Last edited by kronos1 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am

I was wanting to see the nucaptcha mod or extension, is it this or this? Or is it something directly from nucaptcha?

Cookie secure needs enabling as your using ssl see Fixing incorrect cookie settings

kronos1

Post by kronos1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 am

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”