No access due to "The submitted form was invalid."

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
TheDrawingMan

No access due to "The submitted form was invalid."

Post by TheDrawingMan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Fresh install of 3.2.7 - not yet public, only myself registered. Accessed ACP, installed Maxthon style, then had to leave the office for an hour. On return the system had logged me out. Cannot login "Form invalid", cannot use "forgot password" as form "not valid". Cannot re-register as "form not valid".

This morning I deleted the database and created a new one. Deleted phpBB and reinstalled (FTP to server). Installation successful. Ran through the options in ACP then logged out. Same problem - cannot log back in.

I have searched this forum but nothing quite matches what I'm experiencing. This is third phpBB forum I've set up, so I'm not entirely new to it, but I cannot find a way past this problem.

P_I

Re: No access due to "The submitted form was invalid."

Post by P_I » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:48 pm

A symptom of a known problem, see https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16066.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:55 pm

the idea is that ACP->Security settings->Tie forms to guest sessions needs to be set to "no" instead of "yes"

if you can login to the admin panel then do it that way, if not you will need to do it in the database.

in the config table you will find it under "form_token_sid_guests" set that to zero instead of one.

that is on page 6 for the config table in my phpmyadmin. it may be on a different page on your setup.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Starting in phpBB 3.2.6 and later, the not-logged-on "Guest" session that was used to display the login form must be the same session phpBB then uses when you actually submit a login attempt using that login form. Normally the session ID is persisted through the cookie or through the URL. If phpBB ends up not using the same session, "form invalid" is the result.

Setting "Tie forms to guest sessions:" to "No" under ACP, General, Server Configuration, Security Settings works around the issue of the session not being maintained, by taking the session ID out of the equation for form validation in not-logged-on scenarios. But this is just masking an issue which still exists, and is undoing part of the phpBB 3.2.6 change so that login will work despite the continuing underlying problem.

There might be some kind of caching going on somewhere between your web browser and your phpBB server (for example, Cloudflare), which is causing you to have a login page with a session ID that doesn't match the session phpBB ends up using for your login attempt. Or it could be something wrong with the cookie settings, causing the session value that should have been persisted through cookies from being retrieved.

I don't know the Maxthon style, but if the style is letting you perform login from a page that proSilver doesn't also allow you to attempt login from, this too can cause the same "from invalid" result. But you could rule that out rather easily by switching to proSilver and confirming whether the same problem continues to occur.

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks to you all for your help. I'll have to leave this until Monday now (running a workshop this weekend). As I'm not very proficient with databases, I'll reinstall everything from scratch again and then set "Tie forms to guest sessions" to NO before I do anything else.

Ignore the reference to Maxthon - I installed it for later restyling but was still using proSilver.

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:22 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:55 pm
in the config table you will find it under "form_token_sid_guests" set that to zero instead of one.
robert
Thanks, Robert. I followed your advice - found the entry - changed it to 0.

Deleted cookies, closed everything down. Re-accessed it via the phpBB email link. Tried SHIFT+F5 just to be certain it wasn't cached... and no matter what I try the problem persists.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm

Can we have a link to your board please?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm

TheDrawingMan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:22 am
Tried SHIFT+F5 just to be certain it wasn't cached...
PhpBB settings would not be in your browser's cache. They would be in phpBB's cache folder. Did you try deleting that?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Yeah, the config table is cached.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm
Can we have a link to your board please?
Thanks, Mick. It's here: https://sibleyfineart.com/_members-area/FORUM/

I'm not sure it helps but it's being run from my managed server with 1&1. Previously I've successfully run two phpBB forums from there. If you need anything for access, let me know.

Well, I expect you will, so....
un: deleted
pw: deleted
Last edited by TheDrawingMan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Brf wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm
PhpBB settings would not be in your browser's cache. They would be in phpBB's cache folder. Did you try deleting that?
Even if I'd remembered that - I should have, but didn't - I cannot access the ACP to clear the cache. I did consider over-writing the cache folder but I don't know phpBB well enough to know if that might just make matters worse.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm

you don't need to overwrite it. access the server via ftp. open the cache folder and delete the production folder.

phpbb recreates it withing seconds

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:04 pm
you don't need to overwrite it. access the server via ftp. open the cache folder and delete the production folder.
Done - and partially successful - at least it's a step in the right direction. Thanks!

I can now log on. The system recognises me as Admin... but I can't access the ACP. The generated page is:
https://mysite.com/_members-area/FORUM/ ... a6de63febb
and the result is a blank screen (I'm using Firefox) with no viewable source code. Removing the "sid" section produces the same result: nothing.
Last edited by TheDrawingMan on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm

TheDrawingMan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm
I can now log on. The system recognises me as Admin... but I can't access the ACP. The generated page is:
[401 error]
You might need to test using a different web browser or different computer. Because even back when you originally posted the credentials (before you cleared the phpBB cache), it already let me log all the way in to ACP. And logout. And log back in again. So the kind of failure results you're getting seem like they're symptoms of something more unique to the web browser you're logging in through, or something similar to that.

And it continues to let me login now, after your report of clearing the cache and being able to partially login yourself. The latest two entries in the admin log on your board are from me logging in. Note there is some minor data obfuscation in the screen shot, just in case your credentials don't remain public:

acp.png

Yeah, not that you can see that, yet. 😜 But I'm saying, the site actually does allow successful login, including to ACP. Actually, I just now went back for a third time, in order to test specifically Firefox 67.0.4 64-bit on Windows 10, since you cited Firefox. But that login and ACP login were both immediately successful too, which should rule out "it's something about your web host that doesn't like Firefox clients."

So it really seems like you're looking for some kind of security configuration set to "high", or a misfiring extension, or some other client-side setting or data that is interfering and creating those results. Especially since the results have happened across two different phpBB 3.2.7 clean installations.

TheDrawingMan

Post by TheDrawingMan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 pm

EA117 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm
So it really seems like you're looking for some kind of security configuration set to "high", or a misfiring extension, or some other client-side setting or data that is interfering and creating those results.
That's good news! Thank you. I was beginning to lose my faith in phpBB. I have to leave it until Monday now because I'm teaching this weekend, but I'll make a start by using Chrome or Safari, then take a look at Firefox to see if the problem resides there.

Quick update: I just deleted all non-essential cookies and... I'm IN THE ACP! Many thanks!!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”