RESOLVED: Accidentally Deleted Cache Folder, Now Getting Fatal Error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
niftysmith

RESOLVED: Accidentally Deleted Cache Folder, Now Getting Fatal Error

Post by niftysmith » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 am

Hello!

I did do a forum search for my issue and I found a couple of solutions (so I followed them—adding back in a new cache folder that is 777 and a blank index.htm page to that folder). I have gone ahead and downloaded 3.2.7 (I was running 3.2.5 and going to upgrade), saved my config.php, /files, /images, and /ext folders and done the replacement with 3.2.7 updates.

But I am still getting this error:

RESOLVED

It looks like it can't find "dependent files" that were there in the /cache that I accidentally deleted. I have no idea how to replace these and since I can't get my forum up to get into the ACP ... what am I supposed to do? (I do have a recent back up of my forum data ... but ... anyway ...)

I don't have a way of getting my old /cache folder back because I deleted it from the FTP host and they don't do snapshots of non-cloud hosted sites. My bad, I know. But too late now?

Anyway, if anyone could help me understand this error and point me in the right direction of how to fix it, that would be awesome.

Edit: No, phpbb\cache\driver\file doesn't exist. Is there a way to fix this?
Last edited by niftysmith on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Accidentally Deleted Cache Folder, Now Getting Fatal Error

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 am

you will need to access your server using ftp. then upload that file.

actually you should upload the whole folder named phpbb remember this is not the main board folder. there is a folder named phpbb along with all the other folders that make up the board. that is the one you should upload.

once you have done that, still using your ftp, find the main cache folder in the main directory. not the one inside the folder named phpbb
then open it and delete the folder named "production"

then, you should be able to access your board and the admin panel again.

by the way, there is rarely any reason for messing with any of the folders of phpbb and/or any of the files other then style files maybe.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 am

niftysmith wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 am
Edit: No, phpbb\cache\driver\file doesn't exist. Is there a way to fix this?
Your site is currently corrupted because of a very specific mistake:

You did not actually "delete the cache directory", at least not in the way that means "I should re-create it as an empty directory and make sure the permissions are set to 777." That refers to the /cache directory, which is at the root of your phpBB site, at the same directory level where the config.php exists. Other directories you see at the same level as /cache are /vendor, /includes, /adm, /files, /ext, etc.

The directory you deleted was the /phpbb/cache directory, which is a folder that contains code "drivers" for maintaining a cache; it's not the cache directory itself. Other directories you would see at the same level as /phpbb/cache are /phpbb/auth, /phpbb/captcha, /phpbb/notification, etc.

In addition, you have now uploaded the phpBB 3.2.7 installation files to the /phpbb directory, instead of to the root of your existing phpBB 3.2.5 installation (i.e. where your config.php originally was). As such, your site is actually still on phpBB 3.2.5. And your /phpbb/cache directory is still missing and not filled with the required phpBB 3.2.5 cache driver files. And then on top of all of that, you now have a complete set of phpBB 3.2.7 installation files incorrectly placed under the /phpbb folder, too.

The reason we know this is because we can see that instead of your phpBB 3.2.7 files being under /docs/CHANGELOG.html and /styles/prosilver/styles.cfg, those are still your phpBB 3.2.5 files. And because the phpBB 3.2.7 installation set was uploaded to the /phpbb subdirectory instead of to the root of the site, you now have the phpBB 3.2.7 files under paths such as /phpbb/docs/CHANGELOG.html and /phpbb/styles/prosilver/styles.cfg where they shouldn't be.

To say it a different way, and using your full hosting account paths shown in these error messages, the root directory of your phpBB 3.2.5 site is /homepages/10/d330051118/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/thornsuprising/. The root directory of your site IS NOT /homepages/10/d330051118/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/thornsuprising/phpbb/.

This should definitely be solvable. Recommended steps are:
  1. Make sure you really do have a backup of your current phpBB 3.2.5 site. Then, assume that backup you already have might not be complete, and make a second backup too, just to be sure. 😁
    • Using FTP, simply delete the entire /phpbb subdirectory. Not the phpBB 3.2.5 site, meaning not the files directly under /htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/thornsuprising. You want to delete the /phpbb subdirectory that exists under that site. i.e. You want to delete the /htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/thornsuprising/phpbb directory.

The /phpbb directory you want to delete is the directory which has sub-paths such as /phpbb/auth, /phpbb/captcha, and /phpbb/notification. Unfortunately, now it also contains a bunch of "wrong" subdirectories right now too, which will make it very confusing to look at, because the phpBB 3.2.7 installation set files currently incorrectly exist in that same directory, too.
      • Once you have deleted the /phpbb directory, now use FTP to re-upload the phpBB 3.2.5 /phpbb folder from the full package download available here on phpbb.com. You're not re-uploading "the entire phpBB 3.2.5 installation set", you're only re-uploading the /phpbb subdirectory out of that full installation set. And you're re-uploading it to the directory level which allows it to replace the /htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/thornsuprising/phpbb directory you just got finished deleting.

These steps solve two things: A) The trashed /phpbb directory which incorrectly has a phpBB 3.2.7 installation set in it will be "cleansed" back to it's intended phpBB 3.2.5 contents. Which B) inherently also solves the original issue, which was that the /phpbb/cache/ drivers directory was deleted and needed to be re-uploaded.
      If it still doesn't seem clear what the problem is, and if this description isn't clear enough to you as to what the correct directories to delete & re-upload are, please just make the additional backups and then post for further clarification, so that someone can further or better explain any points that need to be clarified.

KevC
      Support Team Member
      Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 am

Simple solution to these sort of problems.
      Anything you accidentally delete you can simply re-upload from the full version on the download page on this site.
      -:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
      Cheap UK Hosting
      "In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

niftysmith

Post by niftysmith » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Welp, restoring from a backup file from two days ago did the trick. When I attempted to restore the missing files "from a simple download from this site," it didn't solve my problem, and I did not, in fact, upload to the /phpbb folder that comes with the install (my web service provider happened to also name the phpbb install /pbpbb so it's literally /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/etc etc. where one of the folders is also /phpbb in there ... anyway, confusing to write but I've been running the forum for over a year without this sort of hiccup).

It was also not a permissions error. Like I said, I went through and read the other similar issues here on the forums and went through those suggested solutions before I came here with my question.

It really was just me hitting the wrong button at the wrong time, and I deleted the root /cache with the /production folder in it not the /phpbb/cache with all the other files in it. There were also a couple of very specific files in the root/cache that I needed to restore. Thankfully, my hosting service does have snapshots! Anyway. Lesson learned. Mistakes happen!

Thanks for all your helpful directions!

THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Glad your site is resolved and successfully back online.
      niftysmith wrote:
      Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 pm
      ...and I did not, in fact, upload to the /phpbb folder that comes with the install (my web service provider happened to also name the phpbb install /pbpbb so it's literally /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/etc etc. where one of the folders is also /phpbb in there ...
      Fair enough. But whether it was an action that occurred in the steps you described in your original post here (which made sense), or is a condition that has existed on the site for some time (and perhaps not by you), there actually is still a set of phpBB 3.2.7 installation files sitting in "the wrong directory." Specifically, in the /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/phpbb/ directory.

Because the links in this quoted section below are not benign links; they are links to your live site. Which show even now, after you've been resolved, there are still a set of phpBB 3.2.7 directories sitting under /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/phpbb/, in addition to the live phpBB 3.2.5 site that is running from /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/:
      EA117 wrote:
      Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 am
      The reason we know this is because we can see that instead of your phpBB 3.2.7 files being under /docs/CHANGELOG.html and /styles/prosilver/styles.cfg, those are still your phpBB 3.2.5 files. And because the phpBB 3.2.7 installation set was uploaded to the /phpbb subdirectory instead of to the root of the site, you now have the phpBB 3.2.7 files under paths such as /phpbb/docs/CHANGELOG.html and /phpbb/styles/prosilver/styles.cfg where they shouldn't be.
      That was the reason for being careful in describing what the current condition was, because if it remained unclear "which directory is the phpBB site actually in", it could have been easy to dig the hole deeper rather than getting out of it.

So long as the composer.json sitting in the /clickandbuilds/phpbb/thornsuprising/phpbb/ directory was reverted back to the phpBB 3.2.5 version (since this is the only file the phpBB 3.2.7 installation files would have actually collided with and overwritten), "everything will be as expected" for the phpBB 3.2.5 site. But there is still a misplaced phpBB 3.2.7 installation set living under that /phpbb subdirectory.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”