[SOLVED] Cache issues, among other upgrade errors

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Toxyy

[SOLVED] Cache issues, among other upgrade errors

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Client of mine self updated from phpbb 3.0.11 to latest, and I'm getting a few weird errors. Here's a pastebin of the php error log:
https://pastebin.com/Nr95zjPc

So, I chmodded cache and cache/production to 777, but it didn't work.

I also found this in the error logs within the acp:

Code: Select all

A general error occurred: General Error
» SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Data too long for column 'poll_title' at row 1 [1406]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 997
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 193
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.php
LINE: 329
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/textreparser/row_based_plugin.php
LINE: 115
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/textreparser/base.php
LINE: 266
CALL: phpbb\textreparser\row_based_plugin->save_record()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/textreparser/base.php
LINE: 223
CALL: phpbb\textreparser\base->reparse_record()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/cron/task/text_reparser/reparser.php
LINE: 159
CALL: phpbb\textreparser\base->reparse_range()

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: phpbb\cron\task\text_reparser\reparser->run()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/cron/task/wrapper.php
LINE: 104
CALL: call_user_func_array()

FILE: [ROOT]/cron.php
LINE: 78
CALL: phpbb\cron\task\wrapper->__call()
So, I took lumpy's suggestion in a topic I found and increased the template size limit from 255 to 320 and increased the varchar field in the database from 255 to 325, but the error still persists. I did a search for the longest poll_title I could find and it was at 250 length, so I manually shortened that to 235, but the error is still happening. It would be nice to know the topic_id that is triggering that error so I could investigate further...

Here's a snippet from the mysql error log as well:
https://pastebin.com/wa0Ku4Yz

The database tables are mostly MyISAM. Would the databsae optimize & repair tool help in this case?
Last edited by Toxyy on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Cache issues, among other upgrade errors

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 pm

did you delete the production folder? if not , try that and then hard refresh your browser.

oh, and those tweaks you attributed to me were not by me. I may have quoted them in a post but I have never heard of those tweaks.

also, did you follow the instructions exactly/ did you remove all the old 3.0 files except for the config.php file and the mentioned folders first?

did you try to go from 3.0 directly to 3.2.7?

I have found that it often does not work properly. I usually just go ahead and upgrade to 3.1.12 first, then follow the same instrutctions to then upgrade to 3.2
that usually works better for me.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 pm
oh, and those tweaks you attributed to me were not by me. I may have quoted them in a post but I have never heard of those tweaks.

also, did you follow the instructions exactly/ did you remove all the old 3.0 files except for the config.php file and the mentioned folders first?
viewtopic.php?t=2405826#p14912981

I didn't do the upgrade, it was done about two weeks ago and has since gotten a lot more posts so reverting back isn't an option. I too usually go from 3.0 to 3.1 then 3.2, if I had to guess I'd say that it was done in one go. I have tried deleting the production folder as well to no affect. I've also replaced the entire directory with a fresh copy of the 3.2.7 files and nothing.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm

Since this is triggered by the reparser, it may be caused by polls with BBCodes or smilies in them. The new BBCode format is more verbose than the old one and will use up more space. Try looking for polls meeting that criteria.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:59 pm

:oops:
so I did. the mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think it is right.....

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

From the error log, it looks like there's some issue with phpBB Advertisement extension (there's a lot of phpbb\template\twig\environment->loadTemplate('@phpbb_ads/even...') entries in the log), so I'd suggest to disable the extension first.
As for the poll_title, what is the type and the length of the field in the board's database stricture?

Toxyy

Re: [SOLVED] Cache issues, among other upgrade errors

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:04 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:59 pm
:oops:
so I did. the mind is a terrible thing to waste
Indeed, those errors have gone away, though I've since reverted the style change and stuck with the database fix. Its working so far.
Noxwizard wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm
Since this is triggered by the reparser, it may be caused by polls with BBCodes or smilies in them. The new BBCode format is more verbose than the old one and will use up more space. Try looking for polls meeting that criteria.
The poll errors are entirely gone after the database change (and I manually truncated the length of the longest poll to be safe), as well as the ads one below after disabling it. I also didn't find any bbcode or smilies in any poll titles. The main issue seems to be the cache now. There are no more php errors being added to the log within phpbb, only server side.
rxu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm
From the error log, it looks like there's some issue with phpBB Advertisement extension (there's a lot of phpbb\template\twig\environment->loadTemplate('@phpbb_ads/even...') entries in the log), so I'd suggest to disable the extension first.
As for the poll_title, what is the type and the length of the field in the board's database stricture?
The poll/ad bugs are fixed now and a nonissue. I disabled the ad extension and removed it entirely for now.

The main issue is the cache. If I go into FTP and refresh the /cache folder for a while, I see files getting created and deleted, the file that is failing to load in the errors as well. Since the db schema was messed up, I made a copy of it and manually changed a few tables to match 3.2.7. Posts was still using blobs, latin correlation was everywhere, some keys needed to be added and renamed as well. I haven't checked the whole database side by side, just those that didn't have utf8_bin collation.

I thought that since the db is malformed, possibly the cached files are storing the wrong info and are being deleted and recreated every time. It seems to happen in topics too. Unfortunately, changing the database manually did not help, nor harm it. The php errors about cache still persist. I've checked a few more tables like topics and users to see if their schemas were fine and they are.

So, I'm out of ideas for now, though I feel like I'm getting closer. What is yalls take on it?

Here is a fresh and small error log:
https://pastebin.com/gDAYHwEH

EDIT: turns out it was caused by some extension called Coreframe for the Eles style, neither of which were being used. Really odd considering that nothing pointed to it. Disabling the issue fixed it. Weird how it auto deleted cache files, maybe it messed with their structure somehow. Either way, this is solved.

My extensions:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”