Changing Username

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Activ8r

Changing Username

Post by Activ8r » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 am

Need some help to understand if it is possible to allow the users to change their username AND if doing so will propagate the new username to all of the historic posts? Thanks for your help!

EA117

Re: Changing Username

Post by EA117 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 am

I've never actually done it. But there is a permission, which I've always seen denied by default, to allow the users to change their username. I expect that once the users have been allowed to change their username, yes it would change their username when viewing historic posts. Because it's the numeric user ID, and not the user name, which is tracked as the author of the post.

One place which probably will get "left behind" is the old "dumb quotes" references to their old name, since changing the username for a particular user ID isn't going to affect anything about an old "[quote="Activ8r"]" reference in a message. The new "smart quotes" references (e.g. "[quote=Activ8r post_id=15278861 time=1561435333 user_id=1790456]") at least have the opportunity to reflect the new name, since they track the user ID in addition to the name. But again, I've never actually renamed a user account to confirm whether it does or it does not.

edit: The permission I'm referring to is "Can change username" in the "Profile" tab of the user permissions.

username.png

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 am

Activ8r wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:02 am
it is possible to allow the users to change their username AND if doing so will propagate the new username to all of the historic posts?
Yes and yes, because user accounts (just like posts, topics and PMs) live thru numbers, not their name. The board also ensures that every username is unique.

Just like EA117 wrote: if usernames are used textually (i.e. thru BBCodes in post texts) then those won't be changed. Also a couple of log entries (as seen in the ACP or MCP) from the past will still carry the old name.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Activ8r

Post by Activ8r » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 am

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Let me ask from a different perspective: can I run a SQL update statement to modify the username for a specific user? Is there a library of SQL scripts that might be helpful?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:01 am

No, because then the cleaned username (used for comparison and login, so you're able to type it in case insensitive) is not synced anymore, and you also can't set that thru SQL alone.

If you have a bigger plan then just tell us, as single questions and answers are most likely the longer way.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”