Specific text causes 403 error when posting.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jefmcg

Specific text causes 403 error when posting.

Post by jefmcg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? https://cyclingrelated.uk
Who do you host your board with? dathorn
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? Auto-Resize Images Server-side 1.0.3 Details Disable
Auto Drafts 1.1.3 Details Disable
Exif Image Rotation 1.0.0-alpha Details Disable
External Links Open in New Window 1.0.6 Details Disable
Hide Bots 1.0.2 Details Disable
Large Font 3.2.0 Details Disable
phpBB 3.2 Post Love 1.2.1 Details Disable
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 1.0.4 Details Disable
Recent Topics 2.2.7 Details Disable
Relative dates 2.0.2 Details Disable
Simple mentions 1.0.2 Details Disable
Simple Spoiler 1.3.1-beta Details Disable
VigLink
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver 3.2.7 55 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style 3.2.2 2 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style Blue 3.2.2 1 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style Gold 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style Green 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style Purple 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Flat Style Red 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike 3.2.2 1 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike Blue 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike Brown 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike Green 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike Orange 3.2.2 13 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Metrolike Red 3.2.2 0 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview pro_ubuntu_lucid 3.2.2 2 Details | Deactivate | Uninstall | Preview Latte 3.2.2 0 Details | Activate | Uninstall | Preview Latte Red 3.2.2 0 Details | Activate | Uninstall | Preview Revolution
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Last update was timely upgrade to 3.2.7. This problem may have existed before then.
Please describe your problem. I was creating a topic with a slightly satirical tone. The text content was

"https://www.cyclinguk.org/womensfestival

Anyone want to kick of a discussion about how this affects transgender and intersexed, or when the Men's Festival of Cycling is?"

And the title: "July is Women's Festival Of Cycling - um - Month!"

Every time I tried to submit it, I got a 403 error. I trimmed the text down to just the URL, and it posted fine. I went to edit it back to my original text, and I got a 403 error again when I hit submit. But I was able to split the contents across two posts, and then it worked fine.

It's just bizarre.

I can set up an account where you can play with it, if that is needed.

Here's the thread: https://cyclingrelated.uk/viewtopic.php ... 97&p=11552
Generated by SRT Generator

Notes: if I reply to any thread using just the text above, I get a 403 error. There is nothing in the phpBB error logs, and the only thing in the server error logs is repeated " File not found [/home/cyclingrelated/public_html/403.shtml]"

Thanks

jefmcg

Re: Specific text causes 403 error when posting.

Post by jefmcg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm

https://www.cyclinguk.org/womensfestival

Anyone want to kick of a discussion about how this affects transgender and intersexed, or when the Men's Festival of Cycling is?
---------------------------------------------------
Edit: just checking the bug didn't occur here. It doesn't so it's specific to my server.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:16 pm

This type of error is almost always because of your host's mod_security rules. You would need to contact them about removing whatever rule is causing the error.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

and to find it, post half of the contents. check it, if it works then post the other half. then post half of that, etc. etc. until you find the exact word or phrase that is triggereing the 403 then you can tell your host exactly what is triggering the mod security on the server.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Some of the blocked words are pretty innocuous.
I remember once an animal lover's board that was having problems posting the word "cat".

jefmcg

Post by jefmcg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's not a word or phrase, it's the combination. if I put the URL in one post and the comment below it in a second post, then I don't get an error.

I have a reseller account, so I think I control modsecurity etc. What should I be looking for?

Note: There are around 10,000 on the site, and a lot of "bad" words - I don't like censorship. No one has experienced this problem before.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm

I have a reseller account as well but I don't have any access to server software that I am aware of.

it is not bad words , it is not censorship. It is usually words or phrases that may be associated with hacking scripts etc.

you are going to have to ask your host what is triggering it so they can restructure the mod security settings.

luck,
robert

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm

You might get an idea from the server logs.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

jefmcg

Post by jefmcg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm
You might get an idea from the server logs.
Thanks...
jefmcg wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm
the only thing in the server error logs is repeated " File not found [/home/cyclingrelated/public_html/403.shtml]"

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 am

jefmcg wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm
the only thing in the server error logs is repeated " File not found [/home/cyclingrelated/public_html/403.shtml]"
Usually the audit logs are stored in a separate file, you would need to check the exact name of it in the configuration file, /var/log/httpd/ is a good place to start looking for it.
Some of my phpBB extensions: [ Imgur | SEO Metadata | Markdown ]
Check out all my extensions
Arch Linux user

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am

jefmcg wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:38 pm
Thanks for the replies. It's not a word or phrase, it's the combination. if I put the URL in one post and the comment below it in a second post, then I don't get an error.

I have a reseller account, so I think I control modsecurity etc. What should I be looking for?

Note: There are around 10,000 on the site, and a lot of "bad" words - I don't like censorship. No one has experienced this problem before.
If it's mod security it's not triggering on something because of censorship, it will be triggered because of something that could be used exploit a script. In your case it would false positive.

You can look in your hosting control panel, if mod security is installed you may be able to disable in and then test to see if the error still persists. If it goes away, Re-enable mod security. If you do not have access to the configuration contact your host, they can disable the specific rule causing the issue. They will probably want the time and the IP that caused the error.

It's entirely possible it;s not mod security, as already mentioned the error logs should give you more information.

jefmcg

Post by jefmcg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm
I have a reseller account as well but I don't have any access to server software that I am aware of.

Yeah. I did not need to install or support Apache, and I don't have access to the server logs.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to leave it as it is for now. If it's only going to affect one in 10,000 posts, it probably will never occur again before my little forum peters out. If it is a new thing caused by some change on the server, then you have given my enough info to raise a ticket if the problem starts happening regularly.

Cheers!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 pm

your choice of course but why do you not want to contact your host support when they probably can fix it for you very quickly . if they have mod security set incorrectly then I would suggest that the likely hood of it happening again are really quite high.

luck,
robert

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 pm
if they have mod security set incorrectly....
It's not a matter of it being set incorrectly. Mod Security itself is front end for rule sets. The rule sets can obtained from various sources, free, paid or even make your own. There could be hundreds or thousands of rules that can protect a site against all kinds of attacks known and unknown. Of course they cannot account for every piece of web software and false positives are going to occur.

If you have administrative privileges for Mod Security you can see what rules have been triggered, what IP triggered them and why. You can simply disable the single rule causing the issue.

To reiterate this may not be Mod Security issue though, it typically issues a 404 and the OP said they were getting 403.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”