Search

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
spacebiscuit

Search

Post by spacebiscuit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 pm

I am running the current latest verison 3.2.7 and currently I don't have any search indexes setup or working. My total posts count is 1095730 nad it is taking a very long time to run the native fulltext index process. I am guessing that the index will only work on posts made before the index was run, any new post would not appear in any searches, is that correct? If so it si not practical to run these index on a regular basis so how can i ensure my posts are indexed moving forward. Is there a db index that can be run?

Thanks in advance.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Search

Post by Brf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 pm

The fulltext native search index only needs to be built once. After that, adding new posts will add that post's words to the index.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 pm

spacebiscuit wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 pm
I am running the current latest verison 3.2.7 and currently I don't have any search indexes setup or working. My total posts count is 1095730 nad it is taking a very long time to run the native fulltext index process. I am guessing that the index will only work on posts made before the index was run, any new post would not appear in any searches, is that correct? If so it si not practical to run these index on a regular basis so how can i ensure my posts are indexed moving forward. Is there a db index that can be run?

Thanks in advance.
If it really takes too long on your board, you could install a copy of your board on localhost (on your PC), fill the search tables, then take a backup of those tables, upload to yourdomain ... store/ and restore that backup (with only the search tables). Any new posts which have been made will automatically be processed. (I'm not sure about the edited posts though).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

spacebiscuit

Post by spacebiscuit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm

I've run the php native full index and I now see the following:

Total number of indexed words: 344259 Total number of word to post relations indexed: 25192829

I have 1096602 post on the forum.

However when I try to search I get 0 results: The requested page could not be found.

I suspect that the theme which I am using is the cause of the issue, does the mark-up of the search form look correct:
<form action="./search.php" method="get" id="search">
<fieldset>
<input name="keywords" id="keywords" type="search" maxlength="128" title="Search for keywords" class="inputbox search tiny" size="20" value="" placeholder="Search…">
<button class="button icon-button search-icon" type="submit" title="Search">Search</button>
<a href="./search.php" class="button icon-button search-adv-icon" title="Advanced search">Advanced search</a>
</fieldset>
</form>

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm

spacebiscuit wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm
The requested page could not be found.
does search.php exist?

spacebiscuit

Post by spacebiscuit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Hah! It just so happens that it does not exist on my server - so having downloaded a fresh zip and uploaded the feature it now returns results so thanks!

However, I notice that the search box disappears once I have logged in, only shows when I am viewing without authentication. Is this configurable or a bug in my template?

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:36 pm

You can change that in the permissions.
Permissions - Forum permissions
Actions / "Can search the forum"
Register a free account & Play!!
~~~ https://www.solidjeuh.be ~~~

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”