Missing email notifications of new phpBB forum posts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
phpbbX

Missing email notifications of new phpBB forum posts

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Missing email notifications of new phpBB forum posts.

I am administrator of a phpBB forum, currently with PHP Version 7.2.6 (server) and phpBB 3.2.5 (client forum). I use Safari 12.1.1 (12607.2.6.1.2) on macOS 10.12.6 (16G2016) Sierra to access the forum.

phpBB forum "Notifications - Settings" has both Notifications and email checked (selected) for all items showing.

phpBB forum "User Control Panel - Overview - Manage subscriptions - Mark" shows all topics unchecked (not selected). When I select them all in page 1 of 2, go to page 2 of 2 and select them all also there, and then return to page 1 and then to page 2, they all show unmarked. So, such selections do not stick.

How to fix these issues to receive email messages each time that a member creates a new topic or replies to a previous topic?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Missing email notifications of new phpBB forum posts

Post by Brf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 pm

"Marking" a line only selects it for an action. What action did you choose after marking it? I would think the only action is to click the "Unwatch Marked" button.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

phpbbX wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
phpBB forum "User Control Panel - Overview - Manage subscriptions - Mark" shows all topics unchecked (not selected). When I select them all in page 1 of 2, go to page 2 of 2 and select them all also there, and then return to page 1 and then to page 2, they all show unmarked. So, such selections do not stick.

Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.

The way I see it; selecting/marking them does nothing but mark them as selected for an action.Those markings are not remembered when moving to the next page, so an action which has to be performed, should be performed before moving on to the next page.
In this case, selecting a couple and then using the Unsubscribe button will unsubscribe you from the selected topics.
There is probably also a Mark All checkbox. That only works for the current page and is not remembered on the next page, and that behaviour is the safest way: only the selected items will be affected: just imagine what would happen if a mistaken select all would propagate over all the pages and then the unsubscribe (or delete) action performed.
So, the behaviour is correct: first select the items (for 1 page only) and then perform the action on the selected items (visible on that page).

I can't remember whether there's a message box stating this or that action will be performed on x items: confirm or not. if not that could be an extra protection against unwanted actions.

Added: no message - so pressing the button will execute the action immediately.
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks Brf & warmweer.

The only action that I see on such page is the button "Unwatch marked". But what I want is to subscribe to all marked, not the contrary, and I understand that selecting all and then clicking such button will unsubscribe me instead of subscribe me. Indeed, I have done it just to test, and got:

You are no longer subscribed to the selected topics.
Manage subscriptions
Below is a list of forums and topics you are subscribed to. You will be notified of new posts in either. To unsubscribe mark the forum or topic and then press the Unwatch marked button.
WATCHED FORUMS

You are not subscribed to any forums.

WATCHED TOPICS

You are not subscribed to any topics.

Worst of all, now "phpBB forum "User Control Panel - Overview - Manage subscriptions" only shows such such message above in red. The list of topics to subscribe no longer shows!!! And I do not see how can I revert or change it. There are no options for anything there!!! All this seems to me a really anti-intuitive interface. At least, I do not understand it. So, how to fix all that? Thanks.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:27 pm

phpbbX wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:59 pm
Worst of all, now "phpBB forum "User Control Panel - Overview - Manage subscriptions" only shows such such message above in red. The list of topics to subscribe no longer shows!!! And I do not see how can I revert or change it. There are no options for anything there!!! All this seems to me a really anti-intuitive interface. At least, I do not understand it. So, how to fix all that? Thanks.
I think that's normal behaviour. The page is for management of the topics you are subscribed to, not for topics you may want to subscribe to. The only action you can perform is to unsubscribe (to the ones you have selected - a single page action.)
Imagine having a list of all topics to run through in order to select the ones you want to subscribe to.
Subscribing to a topic is done in the topic itself (I think when you post in a topic you are actually automatically subscribed - I'll have to check that though - it could be a personal user setting somewhere).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Indeed, that page shows all of your bookmarks. The only action you have for managing them is to delete the bookmarks.

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks, but I am completely lost. How can I receive messages when any member posts a message in any available topic or creates a new topic?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

Subscribe to all forums.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm

phpbbX wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Thanks, but I am completely lost. How can I receive messages when any member posts a message in any available topic or creates a new topic?
That implies anyone posting anything anywhere which is senseless because every new post will show an unread image in forumlist and topic list.
Read through some topics and in those you want to follow, use the topic tools at the bottom left (the spanner next to the Post Reply button) where there is a subscribe option. You won't receive a message as such but at the top right there is: Notifications which will turn red or show the number of notifications you have.
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks. How can I subscribe to all at once (single click or similar)? Plase, note that I am a newbie on phpBB.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 pm

phpbbX wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:15 pm
Thanks. How can I subscribe to all at once (single click or similar)? Plase, note that I am a newbie on phpBB.
It's possible to suscribe to a forum but that's disallowed here I think (and rightfully so) because that means you'll get a notification for every topic in which there is a new (unread) post.

Just read through the forum and subscribe to the ones that interest you the most.
+ read the Userguide https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/

BTW: your topic title = missing e-mail notifications .....
Imagine the numbers of mails you would receive daily from phpBB.com if you subscribed to everything. Therefore: only select e-mail notifications for the things you find really interesting or important, and stick to plain board notifications for the rest.

Added:
Notific.jpg

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm

and, if you are talking about your own board you can simply visit your board at least once a day to see if there are any new topics/posts.

then you do not have to worry about notifications, or subscribing to topics/forums etc.

why would you not visit your own board once a day to see if you are getting members, posts etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks. I think that I did not explain myself properly. It is a private forum with very few members. They may posts some messages each year, but not many. So, the best for me as administrator is to subscribe to all new posts and all new topics created by any member to receive email notifications. Is there a way to activate that with a single click for all of them at once? Thanks.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:57 pm

phpbbX wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm
... Is there a way to activate that with a single click for all of them at once? Thanks.
Not that I know, but subscribing to all forums shouldn't take all that long.
viewforum
bottom left next to Board index: subscribe to forum

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Thanks. The board contains many forums inside. Is there a way to subscribe to them all at once?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”