Global Email control NOT to have the address visible.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Armstrong
Name: Neil Armstrong

Global Email control NOT to have the address visible.

Post by Armstrong » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:22 am

Is there a way that, when someone wants to email someone else, the email address doesn't appear, rather a window on the page that sends the email WITHOUT disclosing the address GLOBALLY?

So as Admin,. I can STOP the email addresses being visible. Like a simple form window.

Hopefully Ive missed something really stupid but there is an issue I have currently that is a make or break situation.

EA117

Re: Global Email control NOT to have the address visible.

Post by EA117 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am

You might need to clarify exactly where you're seeing or concerned that it would be "visible."

With "Users send email via board:" set to "Enabled" in the ACP, General, Client Communication, Email Settings section, the receiving member's email address is never disclosed unless they choose to reply to the email that was sent. (Since that reply, sent from their email account, will reveal this to the original sender.)

The original sender's email address was already disclosed as part of sending the email to the recipient in the first place. i.e. Sender already volunteered their email, by choosing "send email" instead of sending a PM. But the recipient opts in or opts out of revealing their email by choosing whether they reply to the email or not.

But it's not clear whether you're looking at some situation different than that. And it's not "global", since it's at best just between the parties who are choosing to email each other.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm

EA117 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am

The original sender's email address was already disclosed as part of sending the email to the recipient in the first place. i.e. Sender already volunteered their email, by choosing "send email" instead of sending a PM.
This is incorrect. The FROM address of emails sent through the board will be the FROM email address in the ACP, email settings:
From email address:
This will be used as the from address on all emails, the technical contact email address. It will always be used as the Sender address in emails.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm
This is incorrect. The FROM address of emails sent through the board will be the FROM email address in the ACP, email settings:
The sender's email is already the "reply-to" address, even though it was not the "from" address. That is why when the recipient replies to the email, the reply email goes directly to the original sender's email inbox, and not to the board's email account inbox. This is also what's explained in the email initially received from the board, based on the profile_send_email.txt template.

The sender has volunteered their email address by electing to send an email instead of a PM. It's then up to the recipient whether they want to "complete the transaction" or not by replying to the email, which will disclose their email address as well.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 pm

All correct.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Armstrong
Name: Neil Armstrong

Post by Armstrong » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm

ea117 hit the nail on the head.

I said it was something stupid.

REASON FOR ASKING:> if Im Mr Black and I click to write to someone my 'putters email system opens up with a new email window.
There's the recipients email address.
Using the board of course its all internal.
Tired I guess, long hours, don't know how I missed it.

Been busy on a board for "Battered Wives" escaping violent husbands so of course they must absolutely NEVER ever get their escaping wives new email contact if they even find the boards identity.

A stupid question with a simple answer. Many thanks anyway for your time.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Armstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm
REASON FOR ASKING:> if Im Mr Black and I click to write to someone my 'putters email system opens up with a new email window.
There's the recipients email address.
Using the board of course its all internal.
Tired I guess, long hours, don't know how I missed it.
Just to be clear, there definitely is more than "just one phpBB behavior" that the board could be configured to present. The "opens up a new email window, and the recipient's email address is right there" behavior you're describing it what's expected when phpBB (or any other web site) is generating a mailto: link for sending email to another user.

There are two relevant configurations here under ACP General, Client Communication, Email Settings, General Settings:
Users send email via board: ◻ Enabled ◻ Disabled
Instead of showing the users email address users are able to send emails via the board.

Hide email addresses: ◻ Yes ◻ No
This function keeps email addresses completely private.
And then one under the UCP Board Preferences, Edit Global Settings:
Users can contact me by email: ◻ Yes ◻ No

When the phpBB configuration is set to:
  • Users can contact me by email: No
Then regardless of the other configurations, phpBB isn't trying to allow other users to send them email in any way, due to the per-user preference. Administrators can of course still see the users email and potentially email the user. But this is a UCP setting which can be different per user.

• Users can contact me by email: Yes
  • Hide email addresses: Yes
  • Users send email via board: Disabled
Then phpBB will still not be allowing other users to send them email, because even though the per-user preference is okay with it, phpBB will not show the email link. Administrators can of course still see the users email and potentially email the user.

• Hide email addresses: No
  • Users send email via board: Disabled
Then phpBB will generate a mailto: link for other users to be able to email this user. Meaning the user's email is being disclosed immediately, without any attempt to actually send an email even required.

• Hide email addresses: No
  • Users send email via board: Enabled
Then phpBB will allow users to send an email message though the controlled email form on the phpBB site. This is the case where the recipient's email isn't going to be disclosed until or unless the recipient chooses to reply to the email.

So this last one, with Users send email via board: Enabled, is most ideal. Because you can still attempt to send email if you want to, but the recipients' email address isn't going to be disclosed unless the recipient themselves are okay with whom is emailing them.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”