Up the Junction wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:44 pm
My site has been running PHPBB since 2002 and around 10 years or so ago (possibly more) I gave up updating to the latest version as we were quite happy with it as it was (and the entire process was a bit too time consuming).
Anyway, the site is currently undergoing a major transformation and I'm considering upgrading the forum again (basically as the version we use is not mobile-friendly). My questions are as follows:
1. Is it possible to upgrade from 3.0.0 to the latest version?
2. If so, what is the best method for doing so (ie gradual upgrades to current version via other versions in between - or in one hit)?
3. Are there designated experts on this board who might consider taking the job on (paid, naturally)?
ps. It's a fairly large board - probably between 1.2m and 1.5m posts. 24k members at present.
Thanks in advance for any help/tips.
2. Considering the size of your board, I would go through 3.0.14, then 3.1.12 and then to the latest 3.2.x
3. That's something for the Wanted! forum
Remark:, the size of your database may be a problem for online upgrading.
You could either use CLI (that's my advice) or
Upgrade on personal webserver but you'll have to increase max_execution time drastically and use a powerful personal webserver (USBwebserver won't work, WAMPserver will, but may take approx 2 hours, probably more).
: and while it's busy don't use your PC for anything else.