hopefully you made a complete backup of files and database before you started.
if so, start over and follow these instructions exactly and in order. do not leave out any part
the STK is probably the most important part to remove all the database entries for any MODs you had installed on the 3.0 board.
make a backup of the files and the database and save them to your computer.
Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.2.x
be sure to follow these instructions exactly and in order or you will have problems.
- Your server should be running at least PHP 5.6 but less than 7.3
- phpBB 3.2 is not compatible with 3.0 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading.
- Styles and MODs from 3.0 cannot be installed on phpBB 3.2. To upgrade, perform the following steps:
- Make a back-up of the original files and database
- Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
- Remove all MOD-related changes from the database. The Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner can be used for this.
- Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
- Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
- Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
- Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for
config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original
- Browse to
- Click the Update tab
- Click the Update button
- Click the Update button again
- Select "Update database only" and click Submit
- Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
- Delete or rename the
Ensure that the root level .htaccess file is included in the upload. Some FTP clients do not show files whose names start with a period and you may need to enable the display of hidden files.
If your board made use of language packs other than British English, you will need to download a version that is compatible with phpBB 3.2 from https://www.phpbb.com/languages/
When uploading the 3.2 files to your server, do NOT overwrite your config.php.
When backing up your files, ensure that your FTP client is in binary mode or transfers files without extensions in binary mode.
For more information, see: Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla