Moderators Banning from one but not all forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
guidetoacrazyworld

Moderators Banning from one but not all forums

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:48 am

I’m looking to create a board that will have multiple forums with unique moderators and a single user database. I want to give those moderators permission to ban a user from their forum but not the others.

It seems to me the only way to do this would be through permissions and instead of banning the mods would have to as the users to a group that has “never” permissions on their forum. The issue with this is that all the moderators could see all permissions. This isn’t necessarily a deal breaker but it’s not ideal either. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to work around this?

We are still in the process of choosing the right software and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Moderators Banning from one but not all forums

Post by thecoalman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:49 am

You can create a group for each forum, set the moderator as group leader. The group can be set as "request" and the moderator could approve or remove them from group.

On the forum permissions you would set only that group with posting permissions. Registered users would be set to read only, no access etc.

Quick tip, since you will likely have many groups, instead of setting permissions for each group never add them as group to the forum. That effectively sets the permissions to never. In the following image only admins and moderators would have access, every other group has effective permissions of never.

guidetoacrazyworld

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Thank you for your reply. I think you are on to something. In this situation, it sounds like new posters will have to be added to each group. How do moderators find out someone needs to be added?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 pm

I guess I should of elaborated on this. The user would go into their control panel, the available groups would be listed under the Usergoups tab and they can check the group they want to join. There is also extension called auto groups that can automate adding them based on set criteria:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

The moderator or anyone assigned as group leader will find link for "manage groups" on left also on the Usergroups tab in the user control panel where they can approve, remove or manually add members. Notifications are available when someone wants to join the group.

It's actually not workaround to what you want to do but exactly what you want to do. ;)

guidetoacrazyworld

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 pm

That does sound exactly like what I need. A couple of follow up questions.

If users can add themselves to a group can they read themselves once the group owner removes them?

Can there be more then one group owner?

Thank you again for all your help. I've asked questions in competing projects forums, this is the only place I've gotten such a quick response. It's making the decisions easy.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm

guidetoacrazyworld wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 pm
If users can add themselves to a group can they read themselves once the group owner removes them?
Groups can be set as "open" in which case anyone can join it. They can be set as "request" in which case the group leader would need to approve. They can also be set as closed in which case the group is viewable under things like the usergroup tab but cannot be joined unless manually added. They can also be set as hidden which is same as closed but the group is not viewable.
Can there be more then one group owner?
Yes and far as I know a current Group leader can set another member as group leader. This really should be group leader(s).

guidetoacrazyworld

Post by guidetoacrazyworld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks again for all your time I really appreciate it. That would work perfectly for what we are trying to accomplish.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”