Ex-Admin still able to access ACP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
davethecat

Ex-Admin still able to access ACP

Post by davethecat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 am

Hello,
I hope someone can advise please - I think I must just be missing something obvious here...

We recently had a change of Admin on our Board. The old Admin's account was removed from the Administrators group and also removed from our Moderators group, and is now only in our 'Registered Users' group, so they should now only have permissions of a regular user. However, I notice that if I log into their account, they can still log into the ACP.

I also notice that in their UCP > Board preferences > Edit notification options, there are options on there which shouldn't be there for regular users, (ie "Moderation Notifications" "A post or topic needs approval" and "Someone reports a post").

The password on their account has been changed, so the previous admin can't access it themselves, but I'd still like to make it so that their user account only has the settings of a regular user. I've checked the membership of all our user groups, and this user is definitely only in "Registered Users" so how come they have these extra options above and can still access the ACP?

Thanks for any advice!
(PS the board is using 3.2.4, yes, I know we need to upgrade!!!)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Ex-Admin still able to access ACP

Post by Mick » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am

Was that user a founder?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am

They may have some user permissions set.

permissions
administrators
See if their name is in the top left box. If it is then they have set some permissions outside of the admin group.

If it isn't, and you're 100% sure they aren't in any other groups, are you checking this by logging in with their account or are you using the option to test their permissions? If it's the latter, you are still you in that instance and can get to the admin panel from your own permissions not theirs.

EDIT: yep or what Mick said! :)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

davethecat

Post by davethecat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm

Thank you for the replies - that has partly sorted things...

No, the User wasn't a Founder.

I went to permissions > administrators, and their name was indeed in the box - so that has now been removed. As a result that User can no longer access the ACP. Thank you!

However, that user does still have the extra options in: Board preferences > Edit notification options = ie "Moderation Notifications" "A post or topic needs approval" and "Someone reports a post".

To check which groups the user is in, first of all I logged in as the current Admin (which is me), went to Users & Groups, and checked the "members" list on each of the groups. This user only appears in the 'Registered Users' group. I also then logged in as the Ex-Admin user, and in their profile, the only group listed in the drop down list is 'Registered Users'. So I am pretty sure they are only in that one group.

Maybe I need to clear / refresh board cache or something else, to remove those extra notification options?

Any further clues greatly appreciated!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Check in ACP => permissions => forum permissions if he is a forum moderator in one of your forum.
Check them all!
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm

You must check the moderative permissions as you checked the administrative permission:
KevC wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am
permissions
administrators Global moderators and forum moderators
See if their name is in the top left box. If it is then they have set some permissions outside of the admin moderators group.
Check both global and fora specific permissions

Edit - janus was quicker
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

davethecat

Post by davethecat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Thank you - sorted!!!

Cheers canonknipser - you were right - the user was still in 'permissions > Global moderators' box. I have now removed them from there, and all is OK now.

Thanks to all for your help!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 am

Therefore always work with group permissions and avoid individual permissions.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”