User registration by email verification not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
tyttimaria

User registration by email verification not working

Post by tyttimaria » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 pm

I have my forum in paid host. I get an email to my test account and I can send emails through the website (forum) but don't get any verication emails to my webhotels email. I am using Zoner and even they need time to help me out.

PHP mail () function is blocked on web host for security reasons so they have settings for SMTP:
Server: localhost
Port: 587
Encryption: None
Username: email address
Password: email password

Doesn't work with those settings and then I tried:

SMTP to localhost
Go to email settings (see above for the location) and set parameters as follows:
• Use SMTP server: Yes
• SMTP server address: localhost
• SMTP port: 25
Leave SMTP username and password empty.

And it still gives same error.

» EMAIL/PHP/mail()
/ucp.php

Errno 2: mail() has been disabled for security reasons at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1910

or

» EMAIL/PHP/mail()
/adm/index.php

Errno 2: mail() has been disabled for security reasons at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1910

EA117

Re: User registration by email verification not working

Post by EA117 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm

tyttimaria wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 pm
And it still gives same error.
That error message is implying that you haven't actually set "Use SMTP server for email:" to "Yes" in the ACP Email Settings page, in order to actually use the other SMTP configuration fields you have listed. So long as "Use SMTP server for email:" is still set to "No", phpBB is still trying to invoke the PHP mail() function.

Also, try port 25 with the username and password like you did for 587, just to be sure. "PLAIN" for the authentication type is likely supported; although if its not, the error message should help confirm that.

Which brings us to the important point: Now that you have "Use SMTP server for email:" set to "Yes", re-test all three scenarios. (587 with login, 25 with login, 25 without login.) Ideally one of them now works, and you don't have to go any further.

But in the worst case if all three still don't work, go to the ACP Maintenance tab and in the Error Log section cut-n-paste the three failure messages that correspond to these three attempts. It will be something different than simply "mail() has been disabled for security reasons."

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: User registration by email verification not working

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:24 am

and since the email is provided by your host ( phpbb really has nothing to do with it ) you should probably contact them to see exactly how to use the email system that you are paying them for.

luckk,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”