Upgrade to 3.2.7 Did Not Go Well

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
alietr

Upgrade to 3.2.7 Did Not Go Well

Post by alietr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:46 pm

So, I upgraded from 3.2.5 to 3.2.7 yesterday, and several functions (that I have noticed so far) on my board no longer work. To wit:

Spoiler tags don't function at all.
Links don't parse properly (it is putting the URL for my board in front of the link).
Replies to private messages just show an empty box with no ability to enter text.
I still can't change my spambot countermeasure from Simple Image (but that was an issue I was having in 3.2.5 as well).

Any thoughts or things to try will be humbly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

warmweer

Re: Upgrade to 3.2.7 Did Not Go Well

Post by warmweer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm

alietr wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:46 pm
So, I upgraded from 3.2.5 to 3.2.7 yesterday, and several functions (that I have noticed so far) on my board no longer work. To wit:
Please post the Support Request Template to provide more information (as complete and precise as possible). The current info you gave is insufficient to evaluate the situation properly.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

alietr

Post by alietr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Here ya go:

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? www.jboard.tv
Who do you host your board with? Digital Ocean
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What MODs do you have installed? ACP_Poll_Results
What extensions do you have installed? s9e/mediaembed
Google Analytics
SimpleSpoiler
VigLink
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.7
Please describe your problem. Several functions no longer working ... spoiler tags (I have since updated SimpleSpoiler to the current version, but the problem is persisting), links are not parsing properly (it is prepending jboard.tv before the link), when you reply to a private message, it gives you a blank area and you can't enter anything, and video tags are not working. That's what I have noticed so far.
Generated by SRT Generator

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm

What MODs do you have installed? ACP_Poll_Results
Was that still working in 3.2.5 :shock:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:48 pm

You may be better off asking the author about SimpleSpoiler here. s9e/mediaembed is marked [ABD] see here.. phpBB Media Embed PlugIn will replace that.
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm
Was that still working in 3.2.5
I wouldn’t have thought so.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

alietr

Post by alietr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:34 pm

No, I guess we never fully took the poll results out, and re-wrote part of it so it displays the percentages the way we want them to.

I disabled s9e. I'll have to pursue the spoiler with him, but not sure why the private messages isn't working right.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Try deleting everything in the /cache folder except for index.htm and .htaccess. The remaining code from your poll mod would bother me if I’m honest. There’s still the PM and spambot countermeasures problems?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

alietr

Post by alietr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:47 pm
Try deleting everything in the /cache folder except for index.htm and .htaccess. The remaining code from your poll mod would bother me if I’m honest. There’s still the PM and spambot countermeasures problems?
Uninstalling and reinstalling Simple Spoiler seems to have resolved most of our issues, including the PMs. I still can't implement Recaptcha ... it sits for a while and then comes back with a blank screen (the same with Q&A as well).

I also noticed that it is no longer let me download a backup of the database; saving it on the server is my only option.

Thanks again!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm

alietr wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:24 pm
as in another topic:
If that's the old s9e/mediaembed, re install that, then disbale, delete data and remove the files.
As for the new mediaembed extension, check whether it's the last version and update if necessary.
alietr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm
I also noticed that it is no longer let me download a backup of the database; saving it on the server is my only option.
That feature has been removed as of 3.2.7. (security aspect, a compromised founder account can no longer download a copy of the database (unless the FTP account is also compromised).

alietr

Post by alietr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm
alietr wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:24 pm
as in another topic:
If that's the old s9e/mediaembed, re install that, then disbale, delete data and remove the files.
As for the new mediaembed extension, check whether it's the last version and update if necessary.
alietr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm
That feature has been removed as of 3.2.7. (security aspect, a compromised founder account can no longer download a copy of the database (unless the FTP account is also compromised).
I'll have to give those a try.

As for the backup, that's a bummer. I consider a separate copy on the same server to not be a backup at all. I guess it gets saved on the server and then you have to download it from there to make sure you have a copy locally?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm

alietr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm
As for the backup, that's a bummer. I consider a separate copy on the same server to not be a backup at all. I guess it gets saved on the server and then you have to download it from there to make sure you have a copy locally?
The most important part of a backup is the database. The phpBB files can always be redownloaded if necessary.
However, if you have modifications, then it's not a bad idea to keep a backup of the files also.
Localhost is the perfect place for that. I usually have three working installations side by side: one default installation, one exactly as online, and one for testing (modifications, style edits, extensions).
I take it you have phpMyAdmin access online, so you can export the whole database (perhaps empty the search tables to reduce the size). On localhost you can import the export you made into a new database and start experimenting. A backup made by the phpBB backup system is just as good (and is guaranteed without extended inserts which may prevent it from being imported with phpMyAdmin (although that can also be solved, but I won't go into that if it's not necessary).

BTW once you get the hang of USBwebserver, you may want to install a more powerful personal webapplication (which is currently probably a bit daunting and currently not necessary), allowing switching between php versions.

With hosts upgrading their php version without notice, anyone on 3.0 or 3.1 (even the lower versions of 3.2) should have a copy on localhost so that they're not caught with their pants down :lol:

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm
The most important part of a backup is the database.
But don't miss the folders used for uploads (files, images/avatars/upload), in case the extension storage folders (store subdirectories) and adapted styles files
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm
But don't miss the folders used for uploads (files, images/avatars/upload), in case the extension storage folders (store subdirectories) and adapted styles files
Valid point but I'ld prefer losing the files to losing the database ;)

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:46 pm

But if you have a photograph board :roll:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

it depends - photo board users will virtually kill you if you loose their attachments and make the topics worthless with just having picture discussions (ok, very common is "nice pic" :twisted: ) without a pic in the topic ...
In that case the database is worthless without the files

ALL data on the server including the server configuration itself need backups (at least one, better two or three) in a save place - and backup is not a "fire and forget"-process, the backups need to be validated and updated frequently

Edit: *clap* janus
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”