Links do not work properly

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
urivil

Links do not work properly

Post by urivil » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Greetings
I have a serious problem
I have had an active forum for several years, and a few months ago I updated it to version 3.2.5
Everything was fine, until a week ago, the arrows on the side, when they clicked on the last message, didn't work
I attach a screenshot with a highlight of the problem [my forum is in Hebrew]
Thank you
Attachments
‏‏לכידה55.JPG

EA117

Re: Links do not work properly

Post by EA117 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 pm

In your screen shot, you've highlighted the "arrow" by the user name, and you've highlighted the subject line of the next post. You are saying that neither of these things work as links to the post? i.e. They are not "clickable" in order to jump to viewing the post being referenced?

If its possible to provide a link to your board -- if guest access is able to see enough of the forum to show this behavior -- there are many things that the web browser will be able to reveal about what might be wrong, which a screen shot never will.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Those all look like posts that need to be approved. I do not see any "arrows".

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Brf wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:02 pm
I do not see any "arrows".
I guess he's talking about the little Icon for "goto last post"
Screenshot_20190909_220526.png
Screenshot_20190909_220526.png (555 Bytes) Viewed 346 times
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Ah those. I don't think I have ever used those for an unapproved message. I usually just click the notification.

urivil

Post by urivil » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 pm
Brf wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:02 pm
I do not see any "arrows".
I guess he's talking about the little Icon for "goto last post" Screenshot_20190909_220526.png
This is what I meant
I would be very happy if you could understand what the problem is, as many users complain about it
This is the link to my site
Thanks

urivil

Post by urivil » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 pm

EA117 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 pm
In your screen shot, you've highlighted the "arrow" by the user name, and you've highlighted the subject line of the next post. You are saying that neither of these things work as links to the post? i.e. They are not "clickable" in order to jump to viewing the post being referenced?

If its possible to provide a link to your board -- if guest access is able to see enough of the forum to show this behavior -- there are many things that the web browser will be able to reveal about what might be wrong, which a screen shot never will.
Indeed these 2 links do not work
I would be very happy if you could understand what the problem is, because many users complain about it
This is the link to my site https://tora-forum.co.il/
Thanks

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:08 am

Well, the good news is the link is there, as it should be?

Code: Select all

<dd class="lastpost">
	<span>
		<dfn>הודעה אחרונה </dfn>
		על ידי <a href="./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=552" class="username">פרלמן משה</a>
		<a href="./viewtopic.php?f=6&amp;t=6802&amp;p=87886#p87886" title="מעבר להודעה האחרונה">
			<i class="icon fa-external-link-square fa-fw icon-lightgray icon-md" aria-hidden="true"></i>
			<span class="sr-only"></span>
		</a>
		<br>היום, 01:40
	</span>
</dd>
Meaning that <a href="./viewtopic.php?f=6&amp;t=6802&amp;p=87886#p87886"... part is there, exactly as it should be.

But indeed, the links in that "last post" column cannot be clicked on. Almost as though there is something layered in front of it in the Z-order, "covering" it, or in some other way preventing an otherwise correctly-formed link from having the expected behavior.

Because it's an extension that creates a hover behavior that is in close proximity to this, can you try temporarily disabling (not removing, and not deleting data) for the "Topic Preview" extension that is installed. For good measure, perhaps also purge cache from the ACP General tab after disabling the extension, just to be certain you will get new HTML page content re-composed without the extension's influence.

I'm still trying to "prove" why the link isn't clickable by debugging the page content, but temporarily disabling the extension is something you could do from your end to rule out whether this has any effect on the issue being seen.

EDIT: I believe this is a fundamental RTL issue on phpBB and prosilver. I get the same result on a clean board, once Hebrew 3.2.5 language is selected. So you don't need to bother testing whether "Topic Preview" affects the behavior or not.

It seems like the first <dt> and its contained <div class="list-inner"> immediately inside each <dl class="row-item"> element is "covering" the lastpost column text such that any links cannot be clicked. If I arbitrarily force the size and float of those two contained elements so that they're no longer covering the lastpost column, then the links we can already see are there can then be successfully accessed.

I haven't found a description like this confirming it was a previously-known issue, but will keep looking and enter this as a bug if its not already in there somewhere.

EDIT EDIT: I'm saying "an RTL issue" because these same <dl class="row-item"> elements are the same size even in the default LTR display. It's only when the display is being "reversed" that "the coverup" occurs.

urivil

Post by urivil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am

First, thank you so much for the hassle of your precious time
Do I actually have a solution or not? It's very important to me
Thanks

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Odd. Those arrow-links are working fine for me.
Attachments
link.jpg
link.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 230 times

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:03 pm

urivil wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am
Do I actually have a solution or not? It's very important to me
No, unfortunately no solution yet. Just identifying that it doesn't seem to be unique to your board. The "changes in size when then allowed the links to work" wasn't any kind of workaround; just "proof" that it was the overlap/cover that seemed to be at issue. With the sizes changed the layout was broken and not something you would want to use, but still served the purpose of testing whether the links then worked.

Still in the midst of trying to determine whether there is a bug, and once root cause is known we might know better how to workaround or provide a temporary solution.

Brf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:26 pm
Odd. Those arrow-links are working fine for me.
Which browser was that in, so I can add it to the testing I'm doing here? Mine was with Chrome 76.0.3809.132 both times; once against their production site, and again against a local XAMPP install. But still trying to determine more definitively why it's "covered", and/or why changing the size of the first <dt> and its contained <div class="list-inner"> so that it didn't overlap the lastpost column then allowed me to click the links.

EDIT: Edge 44.18362.267.0 on the same machine I tested Chrome from shows the links working too, for what it's worth. So it definitely could be an agent-specific behavior, or at least potentially in agent-specific tweaks that the CSS is applying.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm

I am using Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)
They also work fine in my up-to-date IExplore and Edge.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Brf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:16 pm
I am using Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Thanks. Pulled an older Chrome 67.0.3396.79 build (closest I could get to your observation) and indeed, the links work fine and are "clickable" in that Chrome release.

Walking forward the builds available from https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-c ... ersion.php, the "unclickable" issue only happens with Chrome 76.0.3809.100 or later. Following the release notes for Chrome 76, the probable change is the beginning of the change-over to LayoutNG.

urivil wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Everything was fine, until a week ago, the arrows on the side, when they clicked on the last message, didn't work
urivil, it appears we're at a fairly conclusive determination that this seems like what we're seeing here anyway is "a Chrome version 76 and later" behavior, with Chrome 76 having been released at the beginning of August 2019. Does that seem consistent with the places and people who are experiencing the issue at your end?

Meaning they are using Chrome, and are allowing Chrome to keep itself up to date, such that they are now currently on Chrome 76? (You can use the "About Chrome" in the settings menu to see the current version, although note this will trigger an update if automatic updating is allowed.)

Or is there someone not running Chrome 76 who is also experiencing this issue, and if so, what are browser version are they using?

edit: Fixed Chrome 76 release notes link.
Last edited by EA117 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

EA117 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:30 pm
Or is there someone not running Chrome 76 who is also experiencing this issue, and if so, what are browser version are they using?
Problem confirmed with Chrome 76.0.3809.132
Edge, FF and Opera are fine.
Avantbrowser (using Chrome engine) is also fine which is as expected because it's using an older version of the Chrome engine).

Correction: Opera:63.0.3368.71 on desktop is not fine (I had tested with an old version of Opera on tablet which was fine: unfortunately when shutting down I automatically allowed it to update and forgot to look at the version).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

urivil

Post by urivil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I also really have the problem with Google Chrome version 76.0.3809.132.
And for most users this is the problem.
How can I fix it?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”