Links do not work properly

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer

Re: Links do not work properly

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

urivil wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 pm
I also really have the problem with Google Chrome version 76.0.3809.132.
And for most users this is the problem.
How can I fix it?
Since this seems to be browser related, using a different browser is a temporary solution. (until Chrome fixes it).

You have choices: (some use the Chromium engine).
Opera, Edge, IE, FF, Vivaldi (never used it but I've read positive things about it), Epic Privacy Browser, SeaMonkey, Brave, Pale Moon, etc... etc...
For Mac users there's always Safari
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:10 pm

urivil wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:08 pm
I also really have the problem with Google Chrome version 76.0.3809.132.
And for most users this is the problem.
How can I fix it?
Add the following two declarations to the bottom of your /styles/prosilver/theme/bidi.css file, outside of any existing blocks within that file:

Code: Select all

.rtl ul.topiclist dfn { /* work around inaccessible/covered links for forum name column in all browsers, once dd.lastpost is position:relative */
    display: none;
}

.rtl dd.lastpost { /* work around inaccessible/covered links for lastpost column in Chrome 76 */
    position: relative;
}
For your own testing of this, after making the change to the bidi.css file, simply use CTRL-F5 refresh while viewing your site to force your browser to reload the bidi.css file contents from the server. Once you decide to keep the changes and want everyone else to see them, go into the ACP General tab and perform the "Purge cache" operation to help force everyone else to see the changes without having to CTRL-F5.

This is just a workaround, and the declaration of whether there should be a fix for phpBB will need to come from developers who have the perspective on the design history involved here. I don't know enough to make that declaration; and I will simply need to enter the bug and will be anxious to see where it goes, same as you.

The position:relative is the actual workaround; this allows the links in the lastpost column to no longer be covered/inaccessible. But, performing that workaround exposes what appears to be an RTL issue with the <dfn> tag being absolutely positioned relative to the lastpost column. The display:none simply hides that element entirely; it was already being absolutely positioned to appear "off screen", so you already couldn't see it. In the RTL case the absolute positioning is causing the <dfn> block to overlap the forum name column, instead of being "off screen" as intended.

edit: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16155

urivil

Post by urivil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 pm

I thank you very much for the time you spend for me
In practice, I tried to copy the code you wrote, but the problem didn't work out, and the links were still bad
Last edited by Mick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 pm

urivil wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 pm
In practice, I tried to copy the code you wrote, but the problem didn't work out, and the links were still bad
Should the change have still been present on the site right now? I don't see the new items added to the end of the https://tora-forum.co.il/styles/prosilv ... e/bidi.css file currently on the site. Maybe seeing how they were added would generate some clues as to why the changes don't seem to be having the intended effect.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 am

Two updates:
  • Chrome 77.0.3865.75 pushed out for me today, and to my testing thus far, it appears that Chrome must have considered this to be a regression behavior too. The links work successfully for me without any workaround. So please try updating your Chrome to the Chrome 77 version that is being pushed, and see whether any issue even remains.
  • With Chrome 76.0.3809.132, the issue did follow with whether or not LayoutNG was enabled. (And in Chrome 76.0.3809.132, LayoutNG was enabled by default.) So an alternative workaround in your local browser is to enter chrome://flags/#enable-layout-ng in the address bar and then change Chrome's "Enable LayoutNG" setting to "Disabled" and restart Chrome.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:20 am

Updated Chrome
and confirmed that with Chrome 77.0.3865.75 the links are now clickable. (no update for Opera yet).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

urivil

Post by urivil » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Thank you very much
The way you wrote the workaround by changing it here chrome: // flags / # enable-layout-ng works well for me
Is there a permanent solution to this problem? Or just that.
a big thanks
Last edited by Mick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm

urivil wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:47 pm
The way you wrote the workaround by changing it here chrome: // flags / # enable-layout-ng works well for me
Is there a permanent solution to this problem? Or just that.
The current hope is that the Chrome 77.0.3865.75 release that was made yesterday will resolve the issue permanently for you and the users of phpBB sites that have Hebrew or other RTL languages. Can you confirm whether Chrome 77.0.3865.75 works correctly for the "Last Post" links on your site, same as it appears to be working in our testing here?

Since you have already disabled LayoutNG, the links are going to work for you personally whether you update to the current Chrome or not. So to test and confirm whether or not the updated Chrome 77 version solves the issue, you would have to first set chrome://flags/#enable-layout-ng back to "Default", so that you're no longer working around the previous issues.

And then after restarting Chrome, if you go to your Chrome "Help" menu and show "About Google Chrome", does your Chrome auto-update and request a restart? And once you are running on Chrome 77, do the "Last Post" links now work correctly, even though your chrome://flags/#enable-layout-ng is still at "Default"?

Presuming that you confirm updating to Chrome 77 solves the issue at your end too, that would be what you then need to suggest to any Chrome users accessing your site: If they can't use the "Last Post" links, use the "About Google Chrome" menu to trigger an update to the current version of Chrome.

urivil

Post by urivil » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks so much for all the help
You helped me a lot
You are a precious man
Last edited by Mick on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am

You are most certainly welcome. I got to learn several new and interesting things in the process, so I'm not going to lie, it wasn't all for you. 😁

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”