my message board quit working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
pat538

my message board quit working

Post by pat538 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:08 pm

I have tried everything I can think of. but, cannot get my message board to work. I have no idea what happened.
I know the place I get my server from did a transfer on his server, not sure if that caused it. I asked him, and he said, no, however, he knows nothing about php.

the web address to the one that is not working is: https://sybilsden.com/bb/
However, I do have a test board it is https://sybilsden.com/bbt that one is working.

I tried to transfer my data files to the test board, then I would change the name to https://sybilsden.com/bb/
but, that would not work either. I then could of changed the name to the original .

I know I need to update my board. I plan on doing that as soon as I can get my board to work.
I would think I need my board to work before I do the update?

Any help would be much appreciated.
If anyone would like to do it for me, let me know the cost. I am just so burned out.

Thank you in advance,
Pat

warmweer

Re: my message board quit working

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:23 pm

pat538 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:08 pm
the web address to the one that is not working is: https://sybilsden.com/bb/
That's a 3.0.12 board

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Table 'raskbb_sybil3.phpbb_styles_template' doesn't exist [1146]
pat538 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:08 pm
However, I do have a test board it is https://sybilsden.com/bbt that one is working.
That's a 3.1.10 board
If your testboard was derived from your 3.0.12 (and your 3.1.10 doesn't contain any new content, then there's no problem since you can upgrade your 3.1.10)

BTW it seems your cookie domain = sybilsden.com without a leading dot. You should correct that.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:37 pm

It appears that your board is phpBB 3.0.12, support for which ended several years ago. The error message refers to a table phpbb_styles_template which has never existed in any version of phpBB, so I have to assume it is from your elegance style. Let's try setting the default style to prosilver.

Run this SQL ( Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin )

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 1 WHERE config_name = 'default_style';
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 1 WHERE config_name = 'override_user_style'
Then use FTP to delete all files and folders in the /cache folder EXCEPT .htaccess and index.htm.

Then let's see if the board comes back, and we can help you update to the latest phpBB version, whicj is the only support we can offer.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Update instruction for the upgrade from 3.1 tot 3.2 are here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

Make sure you have a database backup before starting any upgrade procedure.

Since your 3.0.12 board doesn't work anymore, and if your 3.1.10 contains all the posts, etc..
The simple way would be to transfer everything (files) from your 3.1.10 to the 3.0.12 location

Then test your board and if everything works:

upload a 3.2.7 fileset (follow the instructions!!)

in config.php set $dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';

<?php
// phpBB 3.2.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli'';
$dbhost = 'your database host';
$dbport = 'your database port';
$dbname = 'your database name';
$dbuser = 'your database user';
$dbpasswd = 'your database password';
$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
$phpbb_adm_relative_path = 'adm/';
$acm_type = 'phpbb\\cache\\driver\\file';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
// @define('DEBUG_CONTAINER', true);

BTW the last empty line in the config.php is intentional

and then start the upgrade.

Edit: if your 3.1.10 is just a test and doesn't contain all your data, then you'll have to get your 3.0.12 working first (as stevemaury suggested).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 pm

thank you, everyone. I will try everyone's suggestions. I plan on updating, but, thought I need to get the board working first.
as for the theme, I know there is an upgrade to the theme I am using. However, I need to get on the board to do that.
OH heck, I am so confused . I will let everyone know my results.

again, thank you, I much appreciate it more than words can say.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 pm

pat538 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 pm
thank you, everyone. I will try everyone's suggestions. I plan on updating, but, thought I need to get the board working first.
as for the theme, I know there is an upgrade to the theme I am using. However, I need to get on the board to do that.
OH heck, I am so confused . I will let everyone know my results.

again, thank you, I much appreciate it more than words can say.
4. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver

If there's no updated versions for the style you're using in 3.1.10 you might as well uninstall it. If there is an updated style, upload that with the 3.2.7 files (but you still have to deactivate it when upgrading).
IMPORTANT: before doing anything make sure you have a backup of the database you're going to upgrade.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 pm

seems the more I do, the worse it gets. I am getting confused.

can I install a new copy of php, then insert my database to it?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:37 pm
It appears that your board is phpBB 3.0.12, support for which ended several years ago. The error message refers to a table phpbb_styles_template which has never existed in any version of phpBB, so I have to assume it is from your elegance style. Let's try setting the default style to prosilver.

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 1 WHERE config_name = 'override_user_style'
Then use FTP to delete all files and folders in the /cache folder EXCEPT .htaccess and index.htm.

Then let's see if the board comes back, and we can help you update to the latest phpBB version, whicj is the only support we can offer.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 pm

pat538 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 pm
can I install a new copy of php, then insert my database to it?
You probably mean phpBB. And you can't insert a database into phpBB, but you can make phpBB use a specific database (by defining it in the config.php).
The first thing we really need to know if which database is the one you want to use (to update). Is it the 3.0.12 database, or the 3.1.10 database?
If your 3.0.12 was updated to 3.1.10 and you weren't using the 3.0.12 anymore then the 3.1.10 is the one you should update (and that seems to be the board which is in working order).
Let get that straight first.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm

I am working on it now..(with a migraine :roll: ) I am getting members emailing and by FB what happened. some think I shut the board down.

right now, I am copying all the new files over the old ones. will that work?

ok, now on the database, I have no idea how to update that. I never did it before. can you explain? not sure if the guy that I use for my server would know. he seems to know more about the c/panel. but, if anyone can give me a quick answer, I would truly appreciate it.

honestly, if someone would do this for me, I will pay you, It would lessen my migraine, I have other work piling up which will intensify my migraine :lol: .

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Have you done this yet? If we are to help you, you must answer the questions and stop running off in all directions. The more you continue to mess with it, the less we will be able to help.
stevemaury wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:37 pm

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm

I tried that changing the theme to prosilver, but, I don't think it was even there. I am doing so many different things, I am confusing myself.

Here is what I am thinking, let me know if this will work.

I will install the php version on a new name. maybe something like https://sybilsden.com/bbn
then when done, change the name to https://sybilsden.com/bb
then add the correct database. would that work?

or, I can update my test board, then add the bb data to that?
would that work?

I am sorry to bother everyone, I am just so frustrated. it has been a long time since I worked with php.
since it changed, it just made even harder for me.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 pm

here is what I will try next: use the install from php. (wish I would have thoght of that before :oops: )
If I remember correctly, it asks what database i want to use. I will use the databse I currently have.
the only problem I probably will have is all the posts I have? Unless that is all in the database. can't remember.

I hope that will work. if not let me know. if it will work, will post and give everyone a bit THANK YOU for putting up with me.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:02 pm

pat538 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:47 pm
here is what I will try next:
The point Steve is making is that you should stop what you're doing.

Do what he says.
If it works, great, post saying that and he'll tell you what to do next.
If it doesn't work, that's ok, he can explain what it might be and what to do to fix it.
Then move on to the next step with him.

If you keep randomly doing things you're constantly moving the goal posts and it becomes impossible to help. You might be within a single click of fixing it but if you go and change things again you end up back at square one. If you don't wait until someone says what to do next it becomes frustrating for those trying to help. For example, at no point in the update will it ask you for the database information. If it does then you haven't done what is being asked of you and it creates a whole other problem.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 pm

pat538 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm
I will install the php version on a new name.
been a long time since I worked with php.
phpBB is the forum software
php = https://www.php.net/
and it's still not clear which database is the correct one (both databases are outdated and need upgrading.
The point is the 3.0.12 board wasn't working so we have no idea about the status of that database.
The 3.1.10 database was working (I could access your board and it seemed to have data) however we still don't know whether that was an incomplete upgrade from the 3.0.12 or what.
Now your 3.1.10 isn't accessible anymore which leads me (and others) to suspect you're not following the suggestions from here and KevC is 100% correct that you're in danger of doing something which will mess up the database beyond repair.

So I'll reiterate: let's establish which database is the correct one to use and once that's clear, let's also take a backup of that so that if something goes wrong, you have a fallback.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”