phpBB 3.2.7 not sending any e-mails via internal OR external :(

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
zoldos
Name: zoldos Vex

phpBB 3.2.7 not sending any e-mails via internal OR external :(

Post by zoldos » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? https://thetorturedsoul.net/znet
Who do you host your board with? Server 4 You
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? None
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? n/a
What password can be used to view this issue? n/a
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None, it has never worked.
Please describe your problem. I just installed phpBB 3.2.7 on a sub-domain on my host. The first thing I did was test e-mail. I can't get it to send e-mail at all. I tried the internal mail() function and nothing. I also tried it with my Mailgun account (with verified domain), and it still sent nothing. In fact, I didn't even see the send attempt in my Mailgun log. Very strange. I tested it on a separate domain prior, and the attempt via Mailgun was logged, but produced an error. Now, nothing!! :(

Help please.
Generated by SRT Generator
The Syndicate Lounge ~ https://thesyndicatelounge.com | General Lounge & Mental Health Support

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: phpBB 3.2.7 not sending any e-mails via internal OR external :(

Post by david63 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 am

zoldos wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 am
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
Therein may lie your problem. These "one click" install are notorious for having features that do not work as expected.

I would suggest that you re-install phpBB using the files downloaded from this site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 am

zoldos wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 am
How did you install your board I used a tool provided by my host
We don’t fully support this type of installation as the code used by your host isn’t ours, it’s been altered to suit their purpose, we see many such issues with these types of installs. As it’s a brand new board I suggest, if possible, you delete what you have and re-install using the files from here.

Have you checked the phpBB and server error logs to see if there’s anything pertinent to email? Can you post a screencap of your mail settings please?

Your cookie domain is showing thetorturedsoul.net and it should be .thetorturedsoul.net, note the leading dot and cookie secure should be enabled as your using ssl. See Fixing incorrect cookie settings

I see you’re using PHP Version 7.3.9 but phpBB 3.2.7 doesn’t support PHP versions above 7.2.*, you need to lower your PHP version to between PHP 5.4.7 and 7.2.*. You’ll probably need to ask your host to do that.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

zoldos

Post by zoldos » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm starting to think this is a phpBB issue. I have another forum, using the exact same SMTP e-mail setup, and it works perfectly. Whereas phpBB doesn't even send it at all (it doesn't even get to Mailgun, despite all domain settings being correct). I also have a simple PHP script that I wrote which basically sends out e-mail via the PHP mailer function, and this works perfectly too. :?: I also tested all this on PHP 7.0.33.
The Syndicate Lounge ~ https://thesyndicatelounge.com | General Lounge & Mental Health Support

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm

zoldos wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 pm
Whereas phpBB doesn't even send it at all (it doesn't even get to Mailgun, despite all domain settings being correct). I also have a simple PHP script that I wrote which basically sends out e-mail via the PHP mailer function, and this works perfectly too. :?: I also tested all this on PHP 7.0.33.
The code path is so vastly different between "Use SMTP server for email: Yes" versus "No", its pretty difficult to project that "one issue" is causing both of them to fail. But could certainly be two separate issues. 😁 The screen shot(s) of the ACP Email Settings page, as well as anything you're getting reported to the phpBB Error Log in the ACP Maintenance tab, are the first place to start looking for clues, as Mick requested.

Certainly good to have the server set below PHP 7.3.x now, and also to know that the independent PHP-based mailer script works from the same server.

When you tested the PHP mail script to exercise the "call PHP mail() function" path, are you specifying exactly the same email for the "From:" email, as is specified in the ACP Email Settings configuration for "Contact email address:" and "From email address:"? Since I assume the MailGun service gives you an externally-hosted mailbox, and the local sendmail configuration and/or the local mail servers might not be happy about trying to send with a non-@thetorturedsoul.net email address.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2522696&p=15321886#p15321251

Your PHP Version is still 7.3.9 and isn’t supported. You need to lower your PHP version to between PHP 5.4.7 and 7.2.*

You need to add a dot to the beginning of the Cookie domain.

Cookie secure needs enabling as you’re using ssl.

Did you do a ‘proper’ install using the files from here?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

zoldos

Post by zoldos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm

I tried phpBB 3.2.5 on a test domain (https://zoldos.net) with secure cookies and the smtp settings I always use (and know that work). It *tries* to send, but gave this error in my Mailgun log: "Failed: z@zoldos.netxxx@yahoo.com 'phpBB is correctly configured to send emails' Server response: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html"

I checked the site it references and it seems to be a DKIM/SPF issue with my domain. Of course, no where on that site did it show what these values should be. I'm now trying phpBB 3.2.7 (manual setup) and PHP 7.0.33 and expect the same result. I'll be doing further testing (sending to non-Yahoo e-mails). Stand by.

Thanks!

zoldos

Post by zoldos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Okay, got it working. :mrgreen: Turns out I *must* have both "Contact Email Address" and "From Email Address" to my domain, and now it works (with SMTP).. Thanks for everyone's help!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”