Registration of new members

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BAC2015

Registration of new members

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am

I am currently experiencing 40,50 and sometimes 60 spammers a day registering so I have temporarily suspended registration, Is there any was as admin that I can register new members without having to re-activate member registration please. My usual way is authorisation by admin, but I still have to check out all the spanners.

Many Thanks

warmweer

Re: Registration of new members

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 am

BAC2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am
I am currently experiencing 40,50 and sometimes 60 spammers a day registering so I have temporarily suspended registration, Is there any was as admin that I can register new members without having to re-activate member registration please. My usual way is authorisation by admin, but I still have to check out all the spanners.

Many Thanks
What kind of spammers?
Which Captcha are you using?
A good Q&A prevents automated registration and can be deterrent enough for human spammers.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:13 am

Many thanks for your response.

What kind of spammers? Spammers registering to join the forum, however after spam checks I ban their IP address and delete them

Which Captcha are you using? Confirmation code:

A good Q&A prevents automated registration and can be deterrent enough for human spammers. I don't have automatic registration, how do I set QA please.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am

Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA.

A link to your board would help so we can see what’s happening.

I’m going to move this to support.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks Nick

It is only a small board.

http://boatsandcanals.fgo.org.uk/phpBB3/

Currently registration is suspended, When I activate registration I get guests registering to join the board, and on checking against stop spam websites the majority as just spammers, they are not activated, I ban their IP address and delete them, They are not active members.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:43 am

Your Cookie path is incorrect, it should just be / see Fixing incorrect cookie settings.

If you set up Q&A with a non-searchable (ie: not Googleable) answer you should stop 99% of unwanted spam registrations. If you setup Q&A, re-enable registration and let us know we will be able to have a look and let you know if it’s good or not.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am

BAC2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:13 am
What kind of spammers? Spammers registering to join the forum
OK, although that doesn't really tell us what kind of spammers, because the point of registering IS to join the forum ;)
Are the spammers human or bots, specific emailproviders or countries?
BAC2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:13 am
A good Q&A prevents automated registration and can be deterrent enough for human spammers. I don't have automatic registration, how do I set QA please.
automated is not equal to automatic
By automated I mean that there the registrations are made by machines which recognise and can analyse the Captcha you are using. All the old Captchas have been broken and are almost useless. Switching to a (good) Q&A stops the bot and will hold back the human spammers.
Setting the Q&A is nothing more than changing the Captcha method: and the question should be something not simply googleable or solvable by machine logic.What is the square root of 4? is useless: all bots know the answer. Asking for the penultimate word is a specific post, spelled backwards and inverting capitalisation will stop bots but may be too difficult for your legit users (you'll notice).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:48 am

I note you’re using phpBB 3.0.14 which is no longer supported here, we can help you upgrade to the latest version though.

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am

The spammers are human.

I can't personally do the upgrades etc. I am waiting for my son to upgrade PHPBB but st the moment he is very busy. I am should see him next week when he visits, I will ask him to look at the cookies and other things that you mention.

I know though that it will be a while before he can effect the upgrade.

All your advise is greatly appreciated

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:45 pm

BAC2015 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am
The spammers are human.
Very unlikely. Spambots are a lot more clever than you think.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Oh right, how can I tell the difference.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Not easily but human spammers are a lot more rare than people think. They're often used to get the answer to the registration page question and then that's added to the bot dictionaries and the bots do the signing up.

I've recently written a KB article about how to spot spammers. It's not quite finished yet but there are some traits that they have, human or bot. The best thing you can do is to make the registration difficult for a bot. They expect a simple solution to the question and can actually be foxed by relatively simple tasks that require human understanding and logic to solve, such as asking them about an object in a logo, a word on a page or putting two pieces of simple information together to get the solution.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks KevC

I do need to upgrade as soon as possible, but as I have said Chris who will sort it out for me is very busy at the moment including some priority jobs for me.

I think at the moment I will have to cope with the spammers whatever type they are.

Thanks Again.

alvo

Post by alvo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:30 am

That's too many not to be bots. Make sure you enable the requirement to have a moderator approve their first post. Then you can look at their post, their IP, their email and such and learn about them.

Banning IP addresses is a poor choice. It's ineffective and you may ban legitimate users in the future.

The last major bots I had all used NL, NZ, or AU I.P. addresses but I have users in all three countries, so that wasn't an option to use.

Most had yandex.com or yandex.ru email addresses, so I banned *yandex* and took care of those.

I improved my Q&A, so now seem to be down to 0 spam registrations.

I require a first most be reviewed before being visible, and I use an old, unfinished extension called Spam Hammer to prohibit posting of links, email addresses, and common spam words in that first post (bot posts will simply fail, legitimate users will receive an error message telling them that they need to edit the text.

BAC2015

Post by BAC2015 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 am

The forum is moderator activation, so I do check them before activation, and if they come up as spam I delete them.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”