Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
WelshPaul

Re: Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Post by WelshPaul » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am
How can you back that up? What do other forum owners do in my situation usually?
Back it up using command line.

I use:

Code: Select all

sudo mysqldump -u username -p database > filename.sql

WWu777

Re: Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Post by WWu777 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 am

WelshPaul wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am
WWu777 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am
How can you back that up? What do other forum owners do in my situation usually?
Back it up using command line.

I use:

sudo mysqldump -u username -p database > filename.sql
Is that an SQL command that I can execute in phpmyadmin?

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:33 am

No, you need to access the VPS via ssh and use the command line to execute the command.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:36 am

WWu777 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:12 am
Ok I just tried that. The phpbb_posts table is empty and doesn't have the posts in them. But the post data must be there, because the database size is still over 2 GB.
Sounds like you're screwed then. If you don't have a backup (or your host) to restore the missing information there is nothing you can do. :?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am

How big are your search tables?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:36 pm

The auto backup extension to which you have been referred several times will automatically back up your database on an interval you specify. 2 GB is not too large for it. It also will delete old backups as it makes new ones, in a manner you choose. Thus, it will not take up more space than one or two backup files, which compressed ought to be very little.

Here it is - https://github.com/david63/autodbbackup/archive/3.2.zip
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm

WWu777 wrote:
The phpbb_posts table is empty and doesn't have the posts in them. But the post data must be there, because the database size is still over 2 GB.
Your conclusion is invalid. A database can double is size over time due to overhead. Optimising regularly with large databases is necessary.
For backups of large databases splitting it into parts may become necessary. The posts_table is one which could be backed up seperately, even split. The search tables needn't be backup at all, if they are lost, they can be rebuilt. The topics_track table is another large one which could be backup up seperately.
And not taking a backup in 6 months? How come? Because the backup function timed out? That's 6 months during which you could have investigated the problem, and a Google search would have given a couple of solutions within 5 minutes. One of them being an offline copy on personal webserver.

It's easy to blame the host (and yes if you hosting account included regular backups, then the host is at fault) but ultimately it is you who should have limited the risks.

If your tables are MyISAM, then recovery may still be possible, if they are INNOdb and the standard repair has failed, I fear the worst and only an expert should touch those tables.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:36 am

Stupid reply from bluehost today:
Hello,

Thank you for your patience while we worked to investigate your server issues . We certainly regret your recent experience as well as our delay in reaching back out to you.

At this point in time we are showing that your server and control panel is functioning properly and all services are u p and running.

We would like to note that we are showing that there was a heavy increase of traffic of IP's belonging to http://huaweicloud.com which appears to be a hosting provider in Beijing. It appears that this increase in traffic ended around 4:50AM UTC on the 19th which translates to 9:50PM on the 18th.

Additionally we have been able to repair all phpbb_search_wordlist and phpbb_posts tables on all 3 of your PHPBB databases without error. If you are still experiencing any problems however please provide additional information so that we can continue our investigation.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to reach back out to us if you have any additional questions or concerns. Also, please feel free to take the survey by clicking the button at the bottom of the email. We would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Richie J.
Apparently they didnt even know what the problem was all this time. Sheesh. I set them this angry reply:
Didnt you read the ticket? Yes the tables are marked as repaired but the forum posts are all gone! Click on one and see for yourself! I told the guys in live chat ten times to explain it to you! Why didnt they? Wtf? All posts since 2007 are gone! The forum is empty! Somehow the tables ejected all the data connected to them. Specifically table "phpbb_posts". Thats the problem. I thought you were trying to fix that the last 36 hours man? Wtf? What have u been doing?

The post data must still be there because the database is still 2 GB in size. So you gotta reconnect the data to the tables. Like a jigsaw puzzle. Unfortunately there is no recent backup because the shitty VPS u gave me has no room to store backups, unlike shared hosting which is cheaper. And i cant even upgrade! I should sue you guys for this! How can an entire forum just vanish? Data doesnt just disappear. Also deleted files are recoverable. There is even software that can recover deleted files by rescrambling the empty space. So it must be possible. Every problem in computers is repairable.

Do you have some hidden backup of my server?

Please remedy this asap. Im shocked to find out you didnt even know what the problem was. I told support staff many times to explain it to you clearly on the ticket. Why didnt they? Or why didnt you listen?

Click on this topic thread and see what i mean:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 24&t=35122

Its empty. All posts are empty now! I been waiting 36 hours for you to fix it. Do you have any backups or recovery software? If not can you have a pro or expert reconnect the data to the tables? The data must be there because the forum database shows as 2 GB still.

Are you saying some hackers in china crashed my forum? Or was this legit traffic? Why would i receive so many hits from china?

I cant believe i waited 36 hours for nothing. Just to hear that you didnt know what the problem was! Sheesh! You ruined my vacation. And 12 years of work too! I ought to sue you! How can a huge forum just vanish? Come on, get with it please asap!!!!!!!!!

Winston

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 am

warmweer wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm
WWu777 wrote:
The phpbb_posts table is empty and doesn't have the posts in them. But the post data must be there, because the database size is still over 2 GB.
Your conclusion is invalid. A database can double is size over time due to overhead. Optimising regularly with large databases is necessary.
For backups of large databases splitting it into parts may become necessary. The posts_table is one which could be backed up seperately, even split. The search tables needn't be backup at all, if they are lost, they can be rebuilt. The topics_track table is another large one which could be backup up seperately.
And not taking a backup in 6 months? How come? Because the backup function timed out? That's 6 months during which you could have investigated the problem, and a Google search would have given a couple of solutions within 5 minutes. One of them being an offline copy on personal webserver.

It's easy to blame the host (and yes if you hosting account included regular backups, then the host is at fault) but ultimately it is you who should have limited the risks.

If your tables are MyISAM, then recovery may still be possible, if they are INNOdb and the standard repair has failed, I fear the worst and only an expert should touch those tables.
I do optimize regularly but that doesnt change the vast database size it seems.

I didnt work on this the last 6 months or one year because i had no time. Life gives you a million brings to do and i am traveling too. So there is no spare time to do this stuff. Too many distra everywhere.

I asked here about backing up a huge dadatabase a few years ago but no one had any solutions. So i assumed there was none.

What is my MyISAM? How do i find out if my tables are MyISAM or INNOdb? If they are MyISAM then how do i recover the data and tables exactly? What do i do?

That means the data is still there right? Why would a forum crash or overload cause the table phpbb_posts to eject all data from the last 12 years of post content? Any theory? Data cannot be deleted unless you specifically delete it right?

Should i need to hire a professional to help, who do you recommend?

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:14 am

WWu777 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 am
I didnt work on this the last 6 months or one year because i had no time. Life gives you a million brings to do and i am traveling too. So there is no spare time to do this stuff. Too many distra everywhere.
It's a serious failure on the part of an administrator not to have trusted people who can do the job for you, even by paying for them, since then you may eventually have to pay for professional assistance to make up for this lack.
WWu777 wrote:
Data cannot be deleted unless you specifically delete it right?
Basically yes.
WWu777 wrote:
Should i need to hire a professional to help, who do you recommend?
You can ask in the "Wanted!" forum here in this Board.
WWu777 wrote:
I asked here about backing up a huge dadatabase a few years ago but no one had any solutions. So i assumed there was none.
Please note this is the board which supports phpBB, anything related to server setup and maintenance is not within the scope of it.
Like if somebody would come here asking for help coding in Pascal, even in PHP... that's definitely not the right place where to ask for.
Nor is it the right place to expect an answer to such questions, which, while given, may certainly not live up to your expectations.
From this comes silence, which can be translated into a lack of answers.

The web universe is full of answers that are not centralized, you have to search.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:34 am

Dear support,
I saw this thread here from a guy with a similar problem to mine, who also lost all content from phpbb_posts table:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2247076

What do you think? Was his situation related to mine? If so, will his solution work for me too?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:45 am

Btw, I just checked my last backup. It was over a year ago. Dang. But I don't even know if the backup was done correctly because I did it from cpanel. The file is in gz compression format and is about 200 MB. Is that about right for a forum database of 1.5 GB?

Also, another reason I didn't do any backups lately was because every time my forum crashes, the repair function usually fixes the tables and the posts come back and are never lost. Only this time, once in 12 years, did the crash result in the table phpbb_posts ejecting all the posts.

Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened? Usually tables don't eject content like that, and when you fix the tables the data is still there. So how could it have been ejected in this case? Any idea?

As you all know, there are many programs that can recover deleted files, both on your PC and phone. They can rescramble empty space to bring back deleted files. So with computers, anything is possible right? It's just a matter of technical know how. This means even deleted data can be recovered right?

jonhcarter

Post by jonhcarter » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:18 am

blue host is garbage. stay away from EIG Host. they are vulnerable. you can read a complete topic here:

https://thehackernews.com/2019/01/web-h ... urity.html

I use Genius Host from day one & never have had any problem.
Last edited by jonhcarter on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 am

Btw, every time I try to post in my forum, I keep getting this error message:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './happier2_HappierAbroad/phpbb_search_wordlist' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed [144]

SQL

SELECT word_id, word_text FROM phpbb_search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN ('btw', 'just', 'checked', 'last', 'backup', 'was', 'over', 'year', 'ago', 'dang', 'but', 'don', 'even', 'know', 'the', 'done', 'correctly', 'because', 'did', 'from', 'cpanel', 'file', 'compression', 'format', 'and', 'about', '200', 'that', 'right', 'for', 'forum', 'database', 'also', 'another', 'reason', 'didn', 'any', 'backups', 'lately', 'every', 'time', 'crashes', 'repair', 'function', 'usually', 'fixes', 'tables', 'posts', 'come', 'back', 'are', 'never', 'lost', 'only', 'this', 'once', 'years', 'crash', 'result', 'table', 'phpbb', 'ejecting', 'all', 'does', 'anyone', 'have', 'idea', 'why', 'might', 'happened', 'eject', 'content', 'like', 'when', 'you', 'fix', 'data', 'still', 'there', 'how', 'could', 'been', 'ejected', 'case', 'many', 'programs', 'can', 'recover', 'deleted', 'files', 'both', 'your', 'phone', 'they', 'rescramble', 'empty', 'space', 'bring', 'with', 'computers', 'anything', 'possible', 'matter', 'technical', 'means', 'recovered', 'urgent', 'has', 'resulted', 'post', 'gone')

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 993
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 193
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.php
LINE: 329
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/search/fulltext_native.php
LINE: 1451
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_posting.php
LINE: 2209
CALL: phpbb\search\fulltext_native->index()

FILE: [ROOT]/posting.php
LINE: 1445
CALL: submit_post()
I fixed the table "phpbb_search_wordlist" several times already, using the instructions here:

viewtopic.php?p=10485205#p10485205

But every time I do that, I keep getting the same error again about that same table "phpbb_search_wordlist". Anyone know why? How do I stop this recurring error?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:08 am

Maybe related with this:
viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2523131

Did you try to delete the search index to empty the "phpbb_search_wordlist" table?
Or you can even truncated these table
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”