Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Post by Mick » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:46 pm

I think I’d be chasing the host for a donation.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

WWu777

Re: Help! "phpbb_posts" table crashed and ejected all data! All posts in forum gone! What can be done?

Post by WWu777 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm

WelshPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Prepare your pocket. This type of recover cost really high.
Are we talking hundreds of dollars or thousands? Can these services do it remotely? Wouldnt they need access to bluehost servers? Would my login and password suffice?

David63, are you saying data is harder to recover on linux? If so why? Every computer problem has a solution right?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:39 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm
David63, are you saying data is harder to recover on linux?
Linux has a totally different file structure to DOS (aka Windows) which makes some things easier and others difficult.
WWu777 wrote:
Every computer problem has a solution right?
Wrong. For example if you reformat a disc then you cannot recover the data on that disc. Even recovering files is not always possible once a part of the disc that held that file has been overwritten.
WWu777 wrote:
Can these services do it remotely?
Have you asked them?
WWu777 wrote:
Wouldnt they need access to bluehost servers?
I doubt that Bluehost, or any other host for that matter, would give root access to their servers to just anyone.

The bottom line here is that you have not backed up your data and you are now paying the price of that oversight. All this discussion about recovering data is way beyond the scope of this board and I would suggest that you find a board dedicated to doing this.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:59 pm

WWu777 wrote:
WelshPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Prepare your pocket. This type of recover cost really high.
Are we talking hundreds of dollars or thousands? Can these services do it remotely? Wouldnt they need access to bluehost servers? Would my login and password suffice?
Thousands to tens of thousands.

This is no longer a phpBB support issue, if it ever was, so I am going to close this topic. Of course, feel free to start another topic if there are some further phpBB issues.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:47 am

Unlocked at OP's request, but if this continues to be about data recovery, it will be locked again.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:35 am

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:47 am
Unlocked at OP's request, but if this continues to be about data recovery, it will be locked again.
Thanks for unlocking my topic steve maury. :)

Actually I have good news! My tech support at Bluehost were able to retrieve a backup of the forum from 5 days before the crash! See their email below. I don't know how they did it. Maybe with special data recovery tools? Also see my questions below the email about the best way of restoring my database.

Bluehost case manager:
Hi Winston,

Thank you so much for reaching back out to us.  We are so grateful for your patience while we worked to recover a backup of your database, happier2_HappierAbroad.

Though typically not possible nor feasible for us to recover backup images for our virtual private servers, our system operations team has gone above and beyond and spent the past 3 days looking for any remnants of a backup of your server's image from before September 18th.

We are pleased to report that they were able to find a backup from September 13th and extract your happier2_HappierAbroad database from it.  This backup is currently imported into a database called happier2_phpbbbackup on your virtual private server. There is also a backup found at /root/happier2_HappierAbroad.tgz

We temporarily modified your /home/happier2/public_html/forum/config.php file to connect to the happier2_phpbbbackup database and your posts appeared as they should.  Feel free to connect your PHPBB installation to the new database to restore your posts.

We do strongly advise either downloading manual backups of your sites and databases on a frequent bases.  Alternatively you could also remove any content from your drive that is not needed or purchase additional storage and mount it to /backup to take advantage of the automatic backups afforded to our VPS and Dedicated customers.

You can purchase a drive by using the addons tab of your control panel:

Once purchased please take advantage of our support to assist you in getting the drive mounted and your server's backup system configured to help you avoid being put in this situation in the future.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to reach back out to us if there are any other question or concerns you have. Please also feel free to take the survey mentioned at the bottom of the email.

Thanks,
Richie J.
So I guess that now that we have a backup from 5 days before the crash, we will only lose 5 days of posts. Not bad. Anyway, now I have a few questions about restoring my forum database.

1. Should I create a test forum first, and install the restored database backup, to make sure it works and contains all the posts before Sept 13? Or would simply pointing my config.php file to the backup database on my server suffice in testing to see that it works and contains all the posts?

2. Is it better to point my config.php to the restored database backup? Or download the backup and rename it as the same as the current database, and then upload it to my server and replace it? Or use the Restore Database function in my webhost panel, which I assume will simply overwrite the existing database? Which way is better? Does it matter? What would you folks do?

3. I also need to figure out how to export all the posts made after the crash (after September 18) so that I can insert them into the restored database so that the new posts after the crash will be merged into the forum and not get lost. How do I do that exactly? Would I just export the "phpbb_posts" and "phpbb_topics" tables in the new database and then insert them into the backup? Which tables do I export and how do I insert them into the restored backup? Can you give me step by step instructions?

4. Finally, a friend of mine wants all his posts in the forum backed up and exported into a file so he can keep a copy for safekeeping, in case the database gets corrupted again. How would I do that for him? (and others who may request it too?) Do I just export certain tables connected to a specific user number? If so, how do I find his user ID number? And which tables would I export? Can I put all his posts into a single file only? Can I do this from phpmyamin? If so can someone here give me step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for so many questions. I just want to make sure to do this right.

Oh wait. One more question:

5. If I set my server to automate backups, weekly or daily, it will backup my WHOLE site, not just the databases. That will take up too much room in my server, since my site is too big, even if compressed. The static pages of my website are backed up and stored offline, so I don't need to automate a backup for that. Only for the databases. So is there a way to automate my forum database backups only? Would I need a third party app or tool, such as the one by David63 mentioned earlier in this thread? Would that program automate the backups in full?

Actually I already downloaded the program by David63 but it contained no instructions on how to use it, so I'm not sure how to use it. Where are the instructions in it? If he doesn't reply here, I'll just PM him. Did he code that backup tool? If anyone else here knows, feel free to chime in.

Thanks again to all of you for all your help and support and kindness and generosity. :)
Last edited by WWu777 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

david63

Post by david63 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 am

WWu777 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:35 am
t contained no instructions on how to use it, so I'm not sure how to use it.
Not sure what "instructions" you want/need. You enable the extension and then set the options that you want. After that you can forget about it and just let it run.
WWu777 wrote:
a friend of mine wants all his posts in the forum backed up and exported into a file so he can keep a copy for safekeeping
Not possible without an extension.
WWu777 wrote:
I also need to figure out how to export all the posts made after the crash (after September 18) so that I can insert them into the restored database so that the new posts after the crash will be merged into the forum and not get lost. How do I do that exactly? Would I just export the "phpbb_posts" and "phpbb_topics" tables in the new database and then insert them into the backup? Which tables do I export and how do I insert them into the restored backup? Can you give me step by step instructions?
Due to the fact that many of the database tables are interlinked that is not a simple process. You will need to create a script to handle the merging of the tables and also if you have had any new members who have posted in that period they will need to be taken into consideration.

You might want to have a look at this to see if it will do what you want - viewtopic.php?f=641&t=2521566
WWu777 wrote:
If I set my server to automate backups, weekly or daily, it will backup my WHOLE site, not just the databases.
If you use the Autodb backup then the clue is in the name - it will only backup the database. Unless you have made changes to core files then the only files that you need to backup are the files, images folders and your config.php file.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:11 am

Thanks David63. So are you the author of that backup extension program? Does it work with any version of phpbb3.2? I am only on phpbb3.2.2. I havent had time to upgrade yet.

So i presume that program puts the database backup on the server right? In a compressed gz file?

So you cant just select user id and posts on an intersecting table grid and locate all of a users posts and export them? Myphpadmin cant do that? Is there an app that can?

Also what about my first two questions above? Any idea? Here they are again?

1. Should I create a test forum first, and install the restored database backup, to make sure it works and contains all the posts before Sept 13? Or would simply pointing my config.php file to the backup database on my server suffice in testing to see that it works and contains all the posts?

2. Is it better to point my config.php to the restored database backup? Or download the backup and rename it as the same as the current database, and then upload it to my server and replace it? Or use the Restore Database function in my webhost panel, which I assume will simply overwrite the existing database? Which way is better? Does it matter? What would you folks do?

Thanks.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:02 am

Is it better to point my config.php to the restored database backup?
I would try that first.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 am

david63 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 am
WWu777 wrote:
a friend of mine wants all his posts in the forum backed up and exported into a file so he can keep a copy for safekeeping
Not possible without an extension.
Wait, but upon doing some research I found out that steve maury said it was possible by doing a simple export query. See his posts here:

viewtopic.php?p=13278259#p13278259

viewtopic.php?p=13124528#p13124528

Will that still work on phpbb 3.2? Will that download all of a user's posts to an export file, as I requested above? I'll PM steve maury and see if he can reply to this post.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 am

Dear David63,
I uploaded your auto backup extension into my ext folder in the roof of my forum directory. The one from here:

https://github.com/david63/autodbbackup/archive/3.2.zip

However when I go to my ACP I don't see the backup extension anywhere. Not in the extension tab, nor in the Customize ---> Manage extensions tab either. What happened? Why isn't it showing? I am using phpbb 3.2.2 so it should show up right?

Two more questions everyone:

1. When I restore my database, I know I'm supposed to disable the forum first in the ACP right? But what about stopping the MYSQL server? Do I need to do that too? If so, how do I do that? Can it be done from phpmyadmin?

2. What should I set my PHP version to? And MySQL version? Does it matter? The thing is, my webhost panel said PHP 5.4 will expire soon and no longer be supported. Should I upgrade to PHP 5.6 or above? The thing is, in the past when I tried to increase my PHP or MySQL to a higher level, my forum crashed. How can I upgrade PHP or MySQL without crashing the forum or getting error messages?

david63

Post by david63 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 am

WWu777 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 am
I found out that steve maury said it was possible by doing a simple export query.
OK yes you can do that but the way that I read it was that you wanted to backup one user's posts so that they could be restored - which is not possible.
WWu777 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 am
when I go to my ACP I don't see the backup extension anywhere
Did you read viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2400156#p14599946? Iy says that you upload it to root/ext/david63/autodbbackup
WWu777 wrote:
Not in the extension tab
It will be under the "Maintenance" tab
WWu777 wrote:
But what about stopping the MYSQL server? Do I need to do that too?
If you stop your MySql server then you will not be able to perform a restore, or for that matter anything else.
WWu777 wrote:
What should I set my PHP version to? And MySQL version? Does it matter?
Any version that is compatible with the version of phpBB that you are using.
David

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 pm

The query will work, but the results will not be very useful. There will be no context, links won't be hot, etc. Plus, I would not do this for a member. What if all your members wanted this? Are you going to do this after every time someone posts a new post?

They are free to search for their own posts and cut and paste, or they could compose their posts in a text editor and paste them, maintaining the document for reference.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 am
WWu777 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 am
I found out that steve maury said it was possible by doing a simple export query.
OK yes you can do that but the way that I read it was that you wanted to backup one user's posts so that they could be restored - which is not possible.
WWu777 wrote:
when I go to my ACP I don't see the backup extension anywhere
Did you read viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2400156#p14599946? Iy says that you upload it to root/ext/david63/autodbbackup
Oh no. The user just wanted his posts for safekeeping and reference, since he spent several years compiling them and didn't want to lose them. Not to restore later.

But I'm sure if you exported his posts as tables, like phpbb_posts or phpbb_topics, in MySQL format, I'm sure they could be used for restore purposes right?

No I didn't use root/ext/david63/autodbbackup because earlier above in this thread, you said to simply upload it into the "ext" root folder. I see now that extensions are usually in an author folder first, before the extension folder itself. So I was wondering why your extension broke precedent. lol. Is the ACP set up that way to only recognize extensions in a subdirectory under the author's name? That's odd.

However the folder itself is called "autodbbackup-3.2" so should it be: root/ext/david63/autodbbackup-3.2? Does it matter? Will either work?

Thanks.
Last edited by WWu777 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”