Cannot log back into the forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Tester Testing

Cannot log back into the forum

Post by Tester Testing » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 am

Hi,

Newbie here, never used PHP before neither I am a programmer or a developer.

I followed a tutorial from a YouTube video, used FileZila for FTP, ByetHost as the hosting stuff and created my first forum yesterday.

All was well, created about 5 categories and forums within them.

Tried to log into the forum this morning and the forum does not recognise my credentials anymore. It keeps coming back with an error message saying invalid details or something.
I tried the password reset but it won't recognise the e-mail address.

I tried to re-register with the same user name and the e-mail address and it says these are already registered.

I have no idea what has happened and I did not change the user details.

Please can someone help me.

Regards

invenio

Re: Cannot log back into the forum

Post by invenio » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I don't know what the youtube video told you to do, but this is the official install instructions: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/

I would go through it and make sure you did the same steps.

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:34 pm

Tester Testing wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 am
Hi,

Newbie here, never used PHP before neither I am a programmer or a developer.

I followed a tutorial from a YouTube video, used FileZila for FTP, ByetHost as the hosting stuff and created my first forum yesterday.

All was well, created about 5 categories and forums within them.

Tried to log into the forum this morning and the forum does not recognise my credentials anymore. It keeps coming back with an error message saying invalid details or something.
Welcome to the phpBB community.

Was the message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."?

If so, that was a known problem with phpBB 3.2.7. If you search here for invalid form you'll find it has been a common problem.

phpBB 3.2.8 had a fix related to the problem, so make sure you are running phpBB 3.2.8. IIRC cookie settings can also contribute to the problem, so you might want to review Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings to make sure you've set them correctly.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Tester Testing

Post by Tester Testing » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello,

Yes, it is this error that keeps popping up: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

You're suggsted solution requires that I go into the Admin Control Panel but I cannot log in.

Shall I just log onto the FilZila and delete all the files from .htaccess and re-install again as a new forum? Will that work?
Any suggestions how to cleanly de-install and re-install please, or over-write the existing forum, or delete the existing forum.

Thanks
Last edited by Mick on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Treat it like an update (which it is) and follow these instructions - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/ . Then, do this:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries. If your table prefix is not phpbb_ (check your config.php file), change accordingly in the query.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”