Automatic Update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Art Poulos

Automatic Update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.8

Post by Art Poulos » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I have some modifications done to core files and I chose to use Automatic Update.
I uploaded the "vendor" and "install" folders and started the update from the ACP. From the Update menu I picked "Update files and database". In the next screen, in "File updater methods" it gives three options (in the dropdown):

Download files in via archive
Update files via FTP (Automatic)
Update files via direct access (Automatic)

Since the third option does everything automatically, why should I pick the second and go through the trouble of providing FTP login details and then go through the hassle of uploading the files? Is there any difference in the final results of the last two options?

Thank you.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Automatic Update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.8

Post by stevemaury » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:27 pm

If you have no changes to core files, we no longer recommend using the Auto updates files. The recommended method is here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I have some modifications done to core files and I chose to use Automatic Update.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Art Poulos

Post by Art Poulos » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks Stevemaury but as I stated in first post, I have modified some core files. So is there any difference between second and third option in the File updater methods?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm

I think there is no practical difference, but I have never used Automatic update. Try it.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:51 pm

I always use the first option, never try the others ;)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Just guessing; definitely don't know the actual reason the alternative is offered. But one reason that might "make sense" is if you're in a hosting configuration where the executing PHP code isn't going to have the permission it needs to re-write and replace files directly. i.e. May only be able to write to /cache and other folders intended for the PHP applications to create content; and can only "read" or execute from the others.

So preparing a package of modified files which you can then upload with your root or otherwise powerful-enough FTP login permissions would be an alternative. Instead of granting permission for the PHP applications to overwrite themselves.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 am

back when that auto update thing was being used a lot, I never could get the ftp part to actually access any servers. I finally just started doing the updates manually.

was really glad when 3.1 came along with the extensions. now I never have to mess with any of that. just a simple file replacement except for the few mentioned in the instructions and you are done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Art Poulos

Post by Art Poulos » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:36 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm
I think there is no practical difference, but I have never used Automatic update. Try it.
Everything worked fine!
I uploaded "vendor" and "install" folders and I followed instructions from the ACP (cleared cache first). I picked "Update files via direct access (Automatic)" and the process took only a few seconds. Everything seems to work fine.
I tested some functions like Posting, Editing posts, Register a new member, etc. I also updated some forum styles and extensions and everything works as intended.

Thank you all for your help.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”