Email not Working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
revmyev

Email not Working

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 am

I've tried countless times to have setup an email through phpbb 3.2.7 Client Communications - Email settings. I've tested it with SMTP and without, and tried gmail along with a hosted email from Hostinger.

Nothing ever comes through when I send the test email, and I do not see any errors in the maintenance error log. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong and what I can do to fix this?

Thank you,

janus_zonstraal

Re: Email not Working

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:39 pm

did you ask Hostinger if it is aloud to send mails from your board and what settings the recommend if it is aloud?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:53 pm

I did ask them and they said it should work. They told me to try the Plain and Login settings which I had already tried. Unfortunately they did not recommend anything beyond that.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm

And without smtp?
Or post your settings here.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:07 pm

I've changed it between gmail and hostinger email addresses, but this is what I have at the moment.
Sample.PNG

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:41 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm
And without smtp?
Have a read of Knowledge Base - EMAIL - Easy setup (NOT SMTP).
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:42 pm

One thing we're assuming is that the "myteamforum2019@gmail.com" email address shown in the SMTP settings is also what you have entered for phpBB's "Contact email address:" and "From email address:", too. Meaning you're not logging into Gmail as this this mailbox, but then trying to send email using some other/different email address. Since Gmail would likely intentionally reject such an attempt.

Since you're using a Gmail-hosted mailbox, you will also need to turn on "Enable access for less secure apps" in the Gmail account's settings. This is what enables SMTP and IMAP/POP access to the Gmail mailbox for any application; not just specifically phpBB.

Because you're still on phpBB 3.2.7, you should probably use port 587 instead of port 465 with the Gmail settings shown. With port 465 it might work if you added "tls://" to the beginning of "tls://smtp.gmail.com", but there is an issue in phpBB 3.2.7 and earlier which could cause this prefix to begin throwing PHP warnings. So I would avoid adding any prefix to the "smtp.gmail.com", and just rely on the TLS connection that will be created if you simply switch to port 587.

After making those changes, if the phpBB "Send test email" still does not come through, are you getting a new "Error log" entry created in the phpBB ACP Maintenance tab? Perhaps show what if any error is still being reported there, even with these changes in place. It may be a short error message or it may be a big long error message; we'll want to see the whole thing either way.

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm

I am using myteamforum2019 on all email locations.

I did try port 587 and that did not work. I've also tried adding "tls://" and "ssl://" before and that did not work either.

I've previously changed the gmail settings to "Enable access for less secure apps" and not still not working.

I've also checked the error logs and nothing is showing up.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 pm

revmyev wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:57 pm
I've also checked the error logs and nothing is showing up.
That part seems most important to explore, because it implies that every single one of these previous tests that didn't generate an error has actually been successful. Meaning they were all connecting to and logging into the Gmail SMTP server successfully, and the mail you sent was accepted by the Gmail SMTP server. (Regardless of whether the mail then ultimately makes it to the recipient or not, which is something you don't have direct knowledge or control over in the email sending processing.)

So it does beg the question: On a presumption that there truly are no errors in the phpBB ACP error log, is it possible that all of these successful email sends are simply getting thrown to the recipients spam folder rather than landing in the inbox?

Another way just to ensure "the email sends really are being successful" is to temporarily enter the incorrect password in your SMTP settings. Using the "Send test email" at that point must generate an error to the phpBB error log, or else something entirely different must be going wrong.

If you still don't get an error even with an incorrect password entered, one other thing that comes to mind is to try setting the "Email package size:" to 0 if you already done that before. This just changes whether all email will be sent "immediately" by phpBB, versus being queued for sending along with other notifications the phpBB board is generating.

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks for the additional items to check. I just changed the password to the wrong one and nothing showed up in the error log. I see the changes in the Admin log “Altered email settings”, but nothing is showing up in the error log.

Is there another setting somewhere else I could have entered wrong that could be causing this? Social logins work, new user registrations work, but the emails just seem to not be working and there is no log to show they aren’t.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:34 pm

revmyev wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm
Is there another setting somewhere else I could have entered wrong that could be causing this?
In the ACP Email Settings page, go ahead and set "Email package size:" to 0. That's one thing which can cause "phpBB is not yet even attempting to send the emails", regardless of whether all the email settings are currently correct or incorrect.
EA117 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:19 pm
If you still don't get an error even with an incorrect password entered, one other thing that comes to mind is to try setting the "Email package size:" to 0 if you already done that before. This just changes whether all email will be sent "immediately" by phpBB, versus being queued for sending along with other notifications the phpBB board is generating.

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that "Email package size:" was already on 0.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 pm

revmyev wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm
I just changed the password to the wrong one and nothing showed up in the error log.
revmyev wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm
"Email package size:" was already on 0.
Yikes. Okay, well presuming the ACP Email Settings are still set for "Use SMTP server for email: Yes" (as would be necessary in order for any of these SMTP settings to be in effect), is "Enable board-wide emails: Enabled" also still set in the ACP Email Settings page? Just looking at other things the code path for "send email" would have been checking before making any attempt at all to send the email.

Because otherwise, if that were happening on my board, I would be thinking that maybe there is some kind of PHP execution warning or failure, which maybe I'm just not seeing because the page is redirected after the successful mail send or similar. Meaning execution is getting aborted before ever sending or logging anything, even though phpBB was supposed to. Do you know where your PHP error log is, so you can check whether that log is receiving any entries during these "successful" mail sends?

It can be an "error_log" file visible through FTP, or possibly even just merged in with the web server error log or Linux system log, depending on how your hosting service provides access to the PHP error log information. If you don't see an error log file with PHP errors in it, maybe check your hosting control panel or even just the support information for your hosting account about where the PHP error log is visible.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:41 pm

you might contacting the host support again and asking for level two support. the ones that answer the phone/chat/email usually only know how to answer the basic questions from their book.

robret
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

revmyev

Post by revmyev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Not sure if it makes a difference, but i'm going to update phpbb from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8 tonight then try this again.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”