Are Emoji Available In 3.2.x?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mulsiphix

Are Emoji Available In 3.2.x?

Post by Mulsiphix » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm running v3.2.8 and was trying to figure out if I could use Emoji, preferably in SVG format, instead of the Smilies. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

UPDATE:
  • I found this phpBB 3.2.0-RC2 Release entry in the Area 51 Development Wiki which states "SVG emoji - Use emoji for improved support of HiDPI screens".
  • I also found this discussion about implementing Emoji and a possibly related GitHub project (same author of post created this entry).
So it seems SVG files and Emoji are supported. Though I'm not sure how to use emoji. Could someone clue me in?
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Re: Question About Emoticons

Post by EA117 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:50 pm
I am a fan of the emoji on a Discourse forum I visit. I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow use Discourse emoji instead of the stock emoticons phpBB utilizes (I'm running v3.2.8).
phpBB had changed from Emoji One to Twemoji not too long ago; due to changes in Emoji One's licensing, if I recall correctly.

Indeed, you like the way emojis are represented on the Discourse forum you're visiting. But Discourse can be configured to use Emoji One, Apple, Google Noto, Twitter, Microsoft, Google Classic, or Facebook emoji representations. So one question will be which one is the board you're looking at configured to use.

If you're not sure which one is being used, maybe screen shot a couple of the emoji you're able to see in Discourse which are different from how phpBB shows them, and then enter those same characters here in the phpBB post along with the screen shot for comparison.

Mulsiphix wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:50 pm
I'm also curious if phpBB can make use of SVG files or if there is a specific format the images would have to be in?
The current Twemoji representation (as well as the prior Emoji One) are SVG-based images, so phpBB can "definitely make use of SVG files as part of the emoji representation." But if you're asking "is there some directory within phpBB where all these emoji representations are stored, such that I could replace those with my own SVG files", no that's not the case, because phpBB uses external CDN-delivered content provided by Twemoji (and before that, Emoji One). The SVG images are not part of the phpBB distribution itself.

(edit: lack of clarity in confirming SVGs come from external source)
Last edited by EA117 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmigoJack

Re: Question About Emoticons

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 am

EA117 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:16 pm
no phpBB uses external CDN-delivered content provided by Twemoji
This lacks an essential punctuation, changing the meaning drastically! It should be:
no: phpBB uses external CDN-delivered content provided by Twemoji

Emojis as characters are supported per input: just use a list with all of them, copy the wanted characters and insert them, like 🍕💣💩🦄 - you can try it with your next reply.

Code: Select all

🍕💣💩🦄
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

EA117

Re: Are Emoji Available In 3.2.x?

Post by EA117 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Indeed, the intention was to confirm that the image files do not exist within the phpBB distribution, such that they could be readily replaced. Edited the message to clarify. Thanks.

Cutting and pasting from a different web page definitely works. In addition to mobile devices having had emoji input keyboards to use while typing, as well as Apple's OS X (Command + Control + Spacebar), even Windows 10 has had this for a couple years, too.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am

@EA117: Thank you very much for the educational lesson. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your expertise with me and for taking the time to type all of that up. You are both kind and generous :D

AmigoJack wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 am
Emojis as characters are supported per input: just use a list with all of them, copy the wanted characters and insert them, like - you can try it with your next reply.
Awesome! Is it possible to type textual shortcuts to trigger emoji? Or is this pure Unicode character input via the OS?

I found a list with easier to see Emoji :D :
  1. Emoji with Unicode Sequences
  2. Emoji Group by Theme

Personal test of copy and paste: 😆

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:03 am
is this pure Unicode character input
Yes. Just like you could copy and paste the y out of "copy" (or the リ out of my profile location) if you're unable to type it via your keyboard. Emojis are characters.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”