Friday night, the host was running 7.1, and the forum, which was running phpbb 3.0.12 was working. That's when I backed up the database through ACP, and then copied over the installed forum directory.
Once those two things were done, I started my attempts to upgrade to phpbb 3.2. Which has lead to my current issues.
You are correct on the database comment. I meant to import my backed-up DB. I'm sorry I misspoke.
I tried to access phpmyadmin, I received a permissions denied page. So I emailed the host and asked for access or to import my old DB (I sent them the file I backed up Friday night).
Hopefully things will work as it was on Friday night, then I'll try to use Janus' instructions to upgrade.
I'll keep you posted!
EDIT: Thanks for the link to the tool for unzipping my database. It's 4.10MB. Again, the forum probably only had a few hundred posts.