phpbb 3.1.11 to phpbb 3.2.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
scorpiors

phpbb 3.1.11 to phpbb 3.2.8

Post by scorpiors » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm

My forum is running on phpbb 3.1.11, now I want to upgrade to phpbb 3.2.8
I need following help:
1. I want to install phpbb from scratch. So don't want to take the backup of entire forum.
2. I just want topics/posts/ users/pictures from the existing forum. So which files should I backup.? Need detailed information.
3. I don't want any existing extension, would like fresh installalation of every extension. After taking backup of essential files, I want to remove everything and reinstall everything.
Please let me know the process.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: phpbb 3.1.11 to phpbb 3.2.8

Post by HiFiKabin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 pm

Firstly Disable all extensions and delete their data, the delete them from your server using FTP (In that order please, otherwise you will get numerous problems) Then follow the update guide below

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4.7 or higher.
  • phpBB 3.2 is not completely backwards compatible with 3.1 and custom edits may no longer work. The easiest upgrade method is to remove all existing files prior to upgrading and re-applying custom changes after verifying their correctness.

To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.2. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.1.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /ext/ directory
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  12. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  13. Delete or rename the /install/ directory

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:30 pm

scorpiors wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm
My forum is running on phpbb 3.1.11, now I want to upgrade to phpbb 3.2.8
I need following help:
1. I want to install phpbb from scratch. So don't want to take the backup of entire forum.
If you install phpBB 3.2.8 from scratch, you're actually installing a brand new (empty) board and won't be able to transfer posts, topics, users, etc.. in a simple way.
Just follow HifiKabin's instructions and you'll be fine.
And make sure you do take a backup!!
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

scorpiors wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 pm
So don't want to take the backup of entire forum
For your own peace of mind you need to have a back up especially of the database which contains your users, posts and layout. It’s no good coming back here tomorrow with a borked board without a viable database backup.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”