Cookie-free domain for static content?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
vivday

Cookie-free domain for static content?

Post by vivday » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Hello,

I have a phpBB board in the /forum directory of the root folder(public_html). I want to use a cookie-free domain for static content like images, js, and css files. Is there a way to achieve this? Can this be done at all?

Thanks
The opposite of a profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
~~Niels Bohr

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Cookie-free domain for static content?

Post by Mick » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Presumably anything outside of the /forum folder is out of the control of phpBB, try it.

Edit: Are you sure you mean ‘domain’?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

EA117

Re: Cookie-free domain for static content?

Post by EA117 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:56 pm

vivday wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm
I want to use a cookie-free domain for static content like images, js, and css files.
What is "cookie-free domain" expected to achieve, exactly?

Meaning, is there a specific need "to ensure that cookies are neither saved nor sent?" (i.e. Existence of the cookies themselves are the issue, even in scenarios where the cookies are unused.)

Or are we saying that "I don't want requests for static content to have the overhead of maintaining phpBB's session management and user setup?" (i.e. The thing that the cookies are actually being employed to achieve in phpBB.) (Spoiler alert: this is already avoided for static content.)

Using phpBB's documented recommended cookie settings, the web browser is still going to send the saved phpBB cookies even for requests outside of the /forum folder. But whether that's an issue, or exactly what should be recommended, depends on what was expected to be achieved.

Perhaps also confirm whether your phpBB forum's domain name already involves a subdomain (e.g. www.mydomain.com, or support.mydomain.com) versus your cookie domain being currently set to just "mydomain.com" or ".mydomain.com".

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”