Forum being attacked?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
muratbora

Re: Forum being attacked?

Post by muratbora » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Try to use cloudflare...from there you can ban easily targeted country / IP blocks.
besides cloudflare is also preventing bots / spam visitors.
Try and test it!

Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Sorry, what I meant was geo blocking China from my server, not just from my board. That would help tremendously, I think. Is that something that is done regularly and if so, how do I go about doing that?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Webmasterks wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:18 pm
Sorry, what I meant was geo blocking China from my server, not just from my board. That would help tremendously, I think. Is that something that is done regularly and if so, how do I go about doing that?
Seriously?
If you are the server administrator, then you should know how to. But you are not, so either your host has a configuration panel somewhere (I've seen some) allowing you to set the restrictions (in which case it's documented in the info package from your host), or, you have to ask your host whether they can do it. If you're on a dedicated server then it can be done, on a shared served: I don't know.

The bottom line is that this is a server-related subject and not really a phpBB support issue.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 pm

I asked my host if it was possible to geo block China from my server and they just did. The number of 'guests' on my Who Is Online? list on my board immediately went down from 900 to 32 and the website went back to load pages as it should.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:32 pm

great. what that proves is that whoever you talked to at your host the first time does not have a clue what they are talking about.

and, that what we told you in the beginning was correct. not a phpbb problem and not one you can fix.

good luck,

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

It's likely that you're not being attacked but aggressive Chinese crawlers/scrapers/bots are visiting your site and draining resources. Have a read of this: https://www.johnlarge.co.uk/blocking-ag ... pers-bots/

I myself have seen an increase in traffic from such crawlers/scrapers/bots the past week on several sites. You should block them before they hit your server and not via htaccess as doing so still uses server resources. This isn't phpBB related though, a good admin or host will know exactly what to do!

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 pm

The problem with blocking a whole country is that some IP addresses can be genuine - a lot depends on who your target audience is.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Webmasterks

Post by Webmasterks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 pm

I now know it was not related to the forum, but it came to my attention through the Who's Online list on my board.
China is not my target audience. I have a website about cats entirely in Dutch for Dutch speaking people. Apart from maybe a few expats in China I will miss nothing. Maybe it's not the best way to deal with this sort of thing, but I'm no expert in these matters and the problem seems to be resolved. Maybe in the future I might change it back when I know how to handle it. Most of the things that were suggested were unfortunately too technical for me. As for now, I'm really happy my website and forum are back up and running again.

Thanks for your replies :D

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”