Way to make phpBB search less fussy?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Kerrith

Way to make phpBB search less fussy?

Post by Kerrith » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 am

After several years of posting/replying I often forget the title or a full sentence in a post/reply so I phpBB search by entering one or two words. I.e. "first lie" but I get nothing. Is there a way to fetch a post/reply using one or two words?
Thanks, Kerry

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Way to make phpBB search less fussy?

Post by david63 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 am

If you are not getting any results from a search when there should be some maybe due to one of several reasons.

- You have your "Min characters indexed by search" set too high.
- The search term is found too frequently.
- You have not set up a search index, or it is not working.

Check your search settings and then try rebuilding your search index (depending on the size of your board this may take quite a long time)

Kerrith

Post by Kerrith » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks for the tips david63.
I'll try them.

Kerrith

Post by Kerrith » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

The search engine has been working correctly. I checked the search settings and they look to be optimized for my needs. I see now what I want is to be able to enter, toy, sad, or hit, but when I do I get the "common" word error.

Is there a way to make single three-letter words appear in the search results?

Thanks, Kerry

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Kerrith wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm
The search engine has been working correctly. I checked the search settings and they look to be optimized for my needs. I see now what I want is to be able to enter, toy, sad, or hit, but when I do I get the "common" word error.

I think there's a setting which defines a word as common. (x% or so). If you increase that setting, less words will be classified as too common, but no guarantees that all the 3-letter words you require will not continue being marked as common.
IIRC Sphinx can be used for full search (but I have never used it so I can't be sure.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Kerrith

Post by Kerrith » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 pm

H'm, I must have misunderstood---I thought the "0" setting allowed common words.
Kerry

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Kerrith wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 pm
H'm, I must have misunderstood---I thought the "0" setting allowed common words.
Kerry
That's correct, and IIRC there's something likeMininimum characters for index , can't remember the exact wording but you'll find it, which has to be 3 if you want 3 letter words (if it's higher than 3, then words like and, for, etc won't be indexed.).
Also take into account that a change in settings will only be in effect after recreating the search index.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 pm

Kerrith wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks, Kerry
My workaround for the "common word" issue is use an asterisk, i.e. if 'toy' is a common word, search for 'toy*'.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Kerrith

Post by Kerrith » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Awesome P_I.

Mucho thankso, Kerry

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 am

changing the minimum characters and common word settings will only work for new posts - Warmweer is right when he says that it won't affect existing posts without rebuilding the search index.

If you do rebuild the search index, I would consider having a go at doing it offline first, with the view of then uploading it to the live board once built. The last time we had to rebuild the search index it took several weeks. This is on a board with 2 million posts, so not sure how big your board is. even with a smallish board, the search index is probably the biggest table in the database. You don't want to have a live board with no search functionality while the search index rebuilds.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Kerrith

Post by Kerrith » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 am

Thanks KYPREO. The option to index search is not highlighted. In any case, we only have about 500 posts. It appears to be working as I want now.
With appreciation, Kerry

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”