Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
hurghanico

Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:49 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.8
What is your board's URL? http://allabouthd500x.altervista.org
Who do you host your board with? it.altervista.org
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.7
What MODs do you have installed? just the prosilver theme
What extensions do you have installed? Advertisement Management, Board Announcements, CloudFlare IP, Pages, PayPal Donation Extension, phpBB Media Embed PlugIn, Previous / Next topic, Privacy policy.
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I updated my board in september 2019
Please describe your problem. I'm not sure if the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" function is still working as it should.
It has been a while since I received any update notification and it seems strange to me.

Also, with the previous phpbb board version when I used the "re-check all versions" command the graphics and colors of the version numbers changed depending on the availability or not of updates, but now they remain exactly the same.
Generated by SRT Generator

janus_zonstraal

Re: Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:04 pm

On my 3.2.8 board it is still working.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:14 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:49 pm
I'm not sure if the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" function is still working as it should.
Working just fine for me on .2.8 and 3.3.0-b2
hurghanico wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:49 pm
t has been a while since I received any update notification and it seems strange to me.
To the best of my knowledge you have never received "update notifications" via the Extension Manager - they come from the CDB and thinking about it I cannot recall receiving any for a while.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks for your replies..

probably there is not any real problem..

But in any case I remember that in the previous phpbb versions when I clicked on the "re-check all versions" command, the extension version numbers changed to green (or bold black, not sure) if they were current, and to red if there were updates available.

Now their color graphic doesn't change at all, even if they are current but just re-checked.

david63

Post by david63 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:50 pm

I have a vague recollection that the colours were changed a few versions ago as there were some complaints that they were not easily distinguishable.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Just tested on 3.2.7 and on 3.2.8 with an extension which I manually downgraded to a lower version.
Total success, the "not latest" version was marked clearly red, another extension (the latest RC) is green, but viglink on 3.2.8 remained with the same default greyish colour. Then repeated the test with an old version of ABBC (so not a simulated downgrade) and that was also a total success (red).

AFAIR the only notifications I received for extension updates were because I subscribed to or posted in an extension topic, and not via the ACP (re-check doesn't count as notification).

Added: I'm a dummy :oops:
Of course viglink remained greyish : a) it was always up to date with the phpBB version , and b) it was also always disabled (hence the grey).
Last edited by warmweer on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Agreed that it worked in my phpBB 3.2.8 board, too:

check.png

The ones you're seeing there as "not green, and not red either" are because those extensions simply don't define any "version-check:{}" data at all in the extension's composer.json file. i.e. The extension has not provided any URL from which to determine whether there is a later version available. So the version color has "remained unchanged" because no determination was possible for those particular extensions.

If you're truly seeing "no change in the color for any extensions", then either none of the extensions you installed provide any version-check URL, or your phpBB board was unable to access those URLs. Red or green is only going to be shown when the version is successfully determined to be the same or different than the version-check URL's version.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks for posting also the pic which could also show exactly how the "re-check all versions" function worked until I updated my board to v.3.2.8 in september.
So, if before the board update it worked perfectly for all extensions, why is it not still working now?.. That's the question.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Working on my forum. Running latest 3.2.8!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 pm

How did you update?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 pm
So, if before the board update it worked perfectly for all extensions, why is it not still working now?.. That's the question.
If it's still the same set of extensions -- meaning you don't suspect the extensions simply don't define any version-check information, because the same extensions were able to check their versions pre-phpBB 3.2.8 -- then the other possibilities that come to mind are:
  • Your attempt to invoke the "re-check all versions" link is actually failing, and getting an HTTP 500 response or similar from the phpBB server because of an execution crash. But because this is an AJAX'd request (doesn't actually load a new page) your visual result is simply "nothing changed."

Opening the web browser's F12 developer tools "Network" tab before clicking on the "re-check all versions" link can confirm whether the response you get for the AJAX action this generates ultimately returns HTTP 200 or something else. For example, here is mine confirming HTTP 200 status for the /adm/index.php?i=acp_extensions&mode=main&action=list&versioncheck_force=1 action that was requested by clicking on the "re-check all versions" link:
checknetwork.png
  • Or, your phpBB server is having a failure at making DNS requests or its own HTTP requests. For reasons which have nothing to do with phpBB 3.2.8, but simply because something changed on the server. In the ACP Maintenance tab, is the Error log getting new entries when you try to perform the "re-check all versions" action?

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 pm
How did you update?
Automatic Update Package from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:20 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:03 pm
Automatic Update Package from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8
:(
Autoupdate is becoming a curse word in my vocabulary.

I know a few people IRL who are probably the result of an autoupdate. ;)
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:22 pm

EA117 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:01 pm
If it's still the same set of extensions --
Opening the web browser's F12 developer tools "Network" tab before clicking on the "re-check all versions" link I get the following response which seems ok if I am not wrong:

In the ACP Maintenance tab the Error log doesn't get any new entries when I try to perform the "re-check all versions" action.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

david63

Post by david63 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:35 pm

I notice from one of the extensions that you have Cloudflare on your site which may possibly be causing the problem. Try disabling Cloudflare and see if it makes any difference.
David

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”