Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EA117

Re: Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Post by EA117 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:53 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:22 pm
Opening the web browser's F12 developer tools "Network" tab before clicking on the "re-check all versions" link I get the following response which seems ok if I am not wrong:

In the ACP Maintenance tab the Error log doesn't get any new entries when I try to perform the "re-check all versions" action.
I agree, that all looks good in terms of ruling out "is the check simply crashing or failing to return a response." Also, we can say that at minimum the installed Media Embed extension you're showing does define version-check information, and should have allowed being able to determine an updated version is available. Here is what it looked like putting the 1.1.0 version on the same test board I showed earlier:

update.png

So indeed something must still be mis-firing there on your board, but it doesn't look like the clues will be obvious or easy to find like in the Error log or a PHP failure stack trace.

You could try eliminating auto-update from the equation, just in case the file merging / replacement didn't happen correctly. But it's just an attempt to eliminate variables, and not "this is what the evidence is currently pointing to."

I like David's idea about eliminating Cloudflare as a possible cause too. It doesn't immediately make sense how a cached ACP Extensions initial page nor a cached AJAX response data would actually behave this way (if Cloudflare is even caching either one of those in the first place), but it is at least another variable that could be eliminated.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 pm

I disabled the Cloudflare IP extension and cleared its data, I purged the board cache, then I purged the Cloudflare cache and I set it in developer mode (ie no caching)..

Finally I clicked again on the "re-check all versions" link, but I got the same results described in my previous posts.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 pm

I tried to reinstall the board by using this time the complete package but in the procedure I did the error of erasing also the ext folder from the board before uploading the phpbb package, but then I uploaded again the missing extensions.

I didn't solve the "re-check all versions" not working function, and now I have a new problem with the Privacy Policy extension which if I try to do its settings I get the following:

Code: Select all

""Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'phpbb\exception\version_check_exception' with message 'VERSIONCHECK_FAIL' in /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/phpbb/version_helper.php:406 Stack trace: #0 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/phpbb/version_helper.php(354): phpbb\version_helper->get_versions(false, false) #1 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/phpbb/version_helper.php(273): phpbb\version_helper->get_versions_matching_stability(false, false) #2 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/phpbb/extension/manager.php(598): phpbb\version_helper->get_ext_update_on_branch(false, false) #3 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/ext/david63/privacypolicy/core/functions.php(71): phpbb\extension\manager->version_check(Object(phpbb\extension\metadata_manager)) #4 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/ext/david63/privacypolicy/controller/acp_manage_controller.php(161): david63\privacypolicy\core\functions->version_check() #5 /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/ext/david63/privacypolicy/acp/privacypolicy_module.php(27): david63\priva in /membri/allabouthd500x/allabouthd500x/phpbb/version_helper.php on line 406""
Last edited by Mick on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting & added code tag.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 pm

You should ask for support where you downloaded that extension, as that is part of the extension and not of phpBB.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Paul wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 pm
You should ask for support where you downloaded that extension, as that is part of the extension and not of phpBB.
You're right.. I should ask for support where I downloaded that extension, as I already did before writing my last post here..

but before having the problem with the above extension, I had and still have a problem with the "re-check all versions" function of the phpBB under the CUSTOMIZE tab of the ACP, which for some reason doesn't work anymore on my board.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:44 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:44 pm
I tried to reinstall the board by using this time the complete package but in the procedure I did the error of erasing also the ext folder from the board before uploading the phpbb package, but then I uploaded again the missing extensions. I didn't solve the "re-check all versions" not working function, and now I have a new problem with the Privacy Policy extension...
With regard to getting the /ext folder back, you were able to do this using a backup of the actual /ext folder that had been there previously, or did you download latest and/or potentially different versions of those extensions? If this was a restore of exactly the /ext folder that was there before, then our expectation is the same as yours, and there should have been "no change." Although you may need to use the ACP Purge Cache in order to dispose of things that didn't work while the /ext folder was in a poor state.

Does the extension configuration error you're describing still occur right now? The call stack and final error is suggesting that the downloaded version information contained neither a "stable" nor an "unstable" version declaration. But at least from here I'm seeing an unstable version declared: http://version.phpbbdev.space/3.2/privacy_policy_version_file.json.

Which just does make me wonder whether this could be an additional facet of the original issue. e.g. Both the "re-check all versions" from the ACP and the "Privacy Policy extension checking its own version" failures are because this phpBB server isn't able to successfully reach, download, or receive the JSON content related to these version checks. Like some kind of "security setting" on the hosting server itself which is directly or indirectly interfering with PHP applications trying to make and consume such responses. Or maybe something as simple as being unable to use DNS for any reason, and not just these checks.

What happens if, from the ACP General tab, you click on the "Re-check version" of the phpBB version itself? e.g. Do you get "a green version" again confirming you're on the latest, or does the text go back to "plain text" like the versions in the ACP Extensions section, or do you get any kind of error? If the phpBB version check worked & gave you a green version after invoking "Re-check version", I'd say we can rule out an issue of the phpBB server not being able to make DNS queries and/or not being able to receive or process the JSON data it's trying to download.

If I disable network access back to phpbb.com from my phpBB board, invoking "Re-check version" makes the current version number go "dark", indicating that it was not possible to verify the version. Because blocked the network access, I also get an error reported. (Both are circled in red in the attached screen shot.) Once network access was restored, the same version check text then goes "green" again (second screen shot). So I'm just wondering whether you're seeing any similar issues here as you do with the ACP Extensions tab.

noversion.png
version.png

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:45 pm

@EA117

First thing, thanks for you help, I appreciate it.

In regard to getting the /ext folder back, I didn't have a backup and so I downloaded and uploaded the latest extensions which I had before, which I'm quite sure were all already the latest even before erasing them, and now I don't have any problem with any if them, they work, except the Privacy Policy one, with which the extension configuration error described previously still occurs.

In regard to what happens if, from the ACP General tab, I click on the "Re-check version" of the phpBB version itself, I get "a green version" again confirming I'm on the latest, at least this particular check seems to work fine!
Last edited by Mick on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting. OP see note below.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:38 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:45 pm
In regard to what happens if, from the ACP General tab, I click on the "Re-check version" of the phpBB version itself, I get "a green version" again confirming I'm on the latest, at least this particular check seems to work fine!
Indeed, that's good news in terms of everything communication-related from the phpBB server working as expected. But then also means "still unknown" what is causing the apparently ACP Extensions section-specific failure for "Re-check all versions".

If instead of "Re-check all versions" link in the ACP Extensions section, what if you instead use the "Details" link on each extension and use the "Re-Check version" link at the top of the details. Do you find that most of the extensions actually report their version is up-to-date successfully that way, except for maybe one specific one that fails? Maybe that "one" is what's spoiling the "Re-check all versions" overall processing.

Note you're not necessarily expecting that all the extensions even have a "Re-Check version" link at the top of the details. That only exists if the extension actually does provide the version-info with a URL for checking the latest version. So if there simply isn't a link in the details page, just move on to the next extension.

Also note in this case you're not expecting the version number itself to "go green." It's the status bar across the top of the page which will either be green and declaring "extension is up to date", versus not being green and declaring some error during the check. For example, here is mChat both failing and then successfully checking it's version:

noversion.png
version.png

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm

@EA117

As soon as clik on the "Details" link on each extension I see the "Failed to obtain latest version information" message, and if I click the "Re-Check version" link, the message remains the same.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:51 pm

One thing that I have only just realised is that the version checking data is cached (no idea why!) - so see what happens if you purge the cache
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm

david63 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:51 pm
One thing that I have only just realised is that the version checking data is cached (no idea why!) - so see what happens if you purge the cache
I purged: the cache of the board, the Cloudflare cache (which is in no caching mode), I erased the myboard/cache/ contents (except .htaccess and index.htm)..

Same results as before.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:10 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm
As soon as clik on the "Details" link on each extension I see the "Failed to obtain latest version information" message, and if I click the "Re-Check version" link, the message remains the same.
If "Failed to obtain latest version information" is all that is being shown (i.e. next line is not additional details, like in the failure screen shot I showed), then to me it looks like the "Privacy Policy extension configuration attempt" is hitting the same failure that "Re-Check version" is hitting from the ACP Extensions details page.

Meaning it's "not Privacy Policy's fault", but simply that this extension hit the same issue. The extension configuration attempt was just nice enough to show us the actual call stack confirming where the error was thrown from. But so far as I can see, that same call stack (once it gets inside version_helper.php anyway) happens to be the only place I'm seeing "a version check failure, without any further explanation" would be thrown from in the ACP Extensions "Re-Check version" case.
david63 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:51 pm
Yeah, that is the other case I had been looking at, too. Technically there is "a version check failure, without any further explanation" which could be thrown in the case of "force cache was requested, but no version exists in the cache." But these "Re-check version" cases from ACP don't actually pass the "force cache" parameter -- and instead explicitly bypass cache -- which makes sense given their intention. So that's what left the "no stable or unstable version defined" exception as being the one that could actually be thrown here.

Still, it would be nice for this analysis to be wrong, and purging the cache actually fixes it. 😜

hurghanico, here is some really crude debugging info to make version_helper.php dump some information about the data it uses to conclude it's "no stable or unstable version defined" decision. You would overwrite your current /phpbb/version_helper.php file with the modified version that is attached here. You shouldn't need to logout or even purge the cache in order to see the effect.

After applying the updated version_helper.php, the clearest test will be to simply invoke "Re-check version" from the "Details" page of a single extension. For example, here is the debug output I see when checking the version of mChat:

127.0.0.1_phpbb_adm_index.php_i=acp_extensions&sid=2263c732fa81ffaf27b4e3ef969154b2&mode=main&action=details&versioncheck_force=1&ext_name=dmzx%2Fmchat(Laptop with HiDPI screen).png

Rather than a screen shot, you could cut-n-paste all that output that appears before the ACP header, and put paste it into some [code][/code] tags here. Whether pasting as text or resorting to a screen shot, just make sure it doesn't end up truncating any of the visible information. You can re-upload the /phpbb/version_helper.php file from the phpBB 3.2.8 full package when you're done, in order to "get back to normal."

Hmm, maybe just for kicks, also test what re-checking the phpBB version from the ACP General tab generates with this debug, too. (i.e. A test where the version check actually works.) Note you may get some "Cannot modify header information - headers already sent" warnings in that case, but should still be able to see and copy the debug info.
Attachments
version_helper.php
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Please use the Quote function only when it is needed to make your reply clear and only quote the parts necessary not the whole post every time. Excessive quoting (especially of long messages and/or multiple images) makes reading the post extremely difficult and tiresome.

Community Team Member

This is what I get checking the media embed extension:

Before download:

string(13) "www.phpbb.com"
string(34) "/customise/db/extension/mediaembed"
string(13) "version_check"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1619706492

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL
..and this is what I get re-checking the phpBB version from the ACP General tab:

Before download:

string(17) "version.phpbb.com"
string(6) "/phpbb"
string(13) "versions.json"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(1502) "{
    "stable": {
        "3.0": {
            "current": "3.0.14",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941",
            "eol": null,
            "security": false
        },
        "3.1": {
            "current": "3.1.12",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376",
        },
        "3.2": {
            "current": "3.2.8",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271",
        }
    },
    "unstable": {
        "3.0": {
            "current": "3.0.14",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941",
        },
        "3.1": {
            "current": "3.1.12",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376",
        },
        "3.2": {
            "current": "3.2.8",
            "announcement": "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271",
        },
        "3.3": {
            "current": "3.3.0-b2",
            "announcement": "https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=72291",
        }
    }
}
"

After decode:

array(2) {
  ["stable"]=>
  array(3) {
    ["3.0"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.0.14"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.1"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.1.12"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.2"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(5) "3.2.8"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
  }
  ["unstable"]=>
  array(4) {
    ["3.0"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.0.14"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.1"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.1.12"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.2"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(5) "3.2.8"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(60) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.3"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(8) "3.3.0-b2"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(57) "https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=72291"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
  }
}

After sanitize:

array(2) {
  ["stable"]=>
  array(3) {
    ["3.0"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.0.14"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.1"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.1.12"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.2"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(5) "3.2.8"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
  }
  ["unstable"]=>
  array(4) {
    ["3.0"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.0.14"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2313941"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.1"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(6) "3.1.12"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2453376"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.2"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(5) "3.2.8"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(64) "https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2523271"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
    ["3.3"]=>
    array(4) {
      ["current"]=>
      string(8) "3.3.0-b2"
      ["announcement"]=>
      string(61) "https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=72291"
      ["eol"]=>
      NULL
      ["security"]=>
      bool(false)
    }
  }
}

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 138: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/phpbb/version_helper.php:417)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 138: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/phpbb/version_helper.php:417)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:22 pm

Paul wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:27 am
Error 410 Gone
Gone
Guru Meditation:
XID: 1619706492
Varnish cache server
Paul, or anyone else who might have access to the server logs for phpBB.com: Is there anything you can see related to this 410 response that may have been returned in the past three or so hours? It's not that we think "the phpBB server is the issue", since the issue seems to be occurring on just this one phpBB board.

But still wondering what the phpbb.com error log might show regarding "why was 410 returned?" The expectation is that this phpBB board should have been attempting to retrieve http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/mediaembed/version_check, which works fine from here and presumably "everywhere." But based on what this debug output shows, instead of the expected JSON file content, this phpBB board received a 410 from a Varnish cache. Which doesn't seem inconsistent with a response received from the actual phpBB servers, since that's the cache in use.

So in the case where 410 was returned, was it because the requested path was ultimately mangled into something other than http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/mediaembed/version_check? Or did the phpbb.com server reject the otherwise-correct request because of how the requesting user agent identified (thinks it a bot or similar), or the IP of the request was on some blacklist, etc.

Just looking for more clues as to what is ultimately going on here which makes the version check fail for this phpBB board; but seemingly only when checking extension versions, and not when checking the phpBB version itself.

I'm assuming there wouldn't be that many 410 responses to sift through. If there are, then we'll need to privately get the actual phpBB server IP from hurghanico (since the server is currently behind Cloudflare) in order to filter for specifically that server's requests.

edit: Fix relative URLs in version_check file links.
Last edited by EA117 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm

We don't log varnish requests as they don't have much sense in logging. However, I indeed see in the lb logs that we returned a 410 in some cases, this looks like it is mostly from 1 IP, so not sure what is causing it. I will poke some people to look why it happens in titania.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”