Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EA117

Re: Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Post by EA117 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks Paul, for whatever you can find out regarding the 410 we saw here.
hurghanico wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:47 pm
This is what I get checking the media embed extension:
..and this is what I get re-checking the phpBB version from the ACP General tab:
The "before download" debug output shows the parameters being passed to file_downloader->get() for retrieving the JSON file, and the path and filenames are correct in both cases. Almost the first thing file_downloader->get() does is construct the HTTP GET header path using those parameters, so there isn't much opportunity for the phpBB code itself to have mangled this path after the debug output we see.

The reason the version check failed in your media embed extension case is because the phpbb.com server responded with an HTTP failure status page instead of the actual JSON version check data for the extension. Yet in the phpBB version check case you posted, your board was able to retrieve the expected JSON data.

While Paul looks for whether any clues are available for how the Media Embed extension version check failed, let's go ahead and collect information from the full "Re-Check all versions" from the ACP Extensions section, with the debug version_helper.php applied. The output will be similar to before, but there should just be a lot more of it. Cut-n-pasting that information into some [code][/code] tags here would be great, same as before.

This additional information will be helpful, since there is at least one extension you have installed which isn't pulling its version information from phpbb.com. So it will be interesting to see if the response from that server perhaps succeeded, or holds any different clue than the 410 from phpbb.com, and/or if the responses from phpbb.com itself vary at all.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm

EA117 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:42 pm
While Paul looks for whether any clues are available for how the Media Embed extension version check failed, let's go ahead and collect information from the full "Re-Check all versions" from the ACP Extensions section, with the debug version_helper.php applied. The output will be similar to before, but there should just be a lot more of it. Cut-n-pasting that information into some [code][/code] tags here would be great, same as before.

This additional information will be helpful, since there is at least one extension you have installed which isn't pulling its version information from phpbb.com. So it will be interesting to see if the response from that server perhaps succeeded, or holds any different clue than the 410 from phpbb.com, and/or if the responses from phpbb.com itself vary at all.
here it is:

Code: Select all

Before download:

string(22) "version.phpbbdev.space"
string(4) "/3.2"
string(33) "/privacy_policy_version_file.json"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(115) "Host di destinazione non consentito, sblocca la connessione nel pannello di AlterVista (Risorse > Impostazioni PHP)"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(13) "www.phpbb.com"
string(43) "/customise/db/extension/previous_next_topic"
string(13) "version_check"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492515

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(27) "/customise/db/extension/ads"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492516

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(42) "/customise/db/extension/boardannouncements"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492518

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(34) "/customise/db/extension/mediaembed"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492520

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(29) "/customise/db/extension/pages"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492522

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(37) "/customise/db/extension/cloudflare_ip"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492524

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

Before download:

string(49) "/customise/db/extension/paypal_donation_extension"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(374) "

Error 410 Gone

Gone

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1620492525

Varnish cache server

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 138: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/phpbb/version_helper.php:397)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 138: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/phpbb/version_helper.php:397)
The italian to english translation of string (115) is: Destination host not allowed, unblock the connection in the AlterVista panel (Resources> PHP Settings)

AlterVista is the board host

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:13 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm
Destination host not allowed, unblock the connection in the AlterVista panel (Resources> PHP Settings)
That would appear to be your problem
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 pm

hurghanico wrote:
string(22) "version.phpbbdev.space"
string(4) "/3.2"
string(33) "/privacy_policy_version_file.json"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(115) "Host di destinazione non consentito, sblocca la connessione nel pannello di AlterVista (Risorse > Impostazioni PHP)"
That certainly is interesting, since in this one case where the version check server is something other than phpbb.com, the message implies it is your hosting provider's configuration which is blocking the outgoing request. As opposed to the other failure cases, in which phpBB appears to have been allowed to send the outgoing request, but then received an error response back instead of the expected data.

Can you talk to your AlterVista hosting support about this particular version.phpbbdev.space case, where your phpBB communication seems to have been blocked by AlterVista itself? You might look in the PHP Settings section of their control panel just to see if you can identify whether a configuration exists to try and block certain hosts or not. But regardless of what you find, I think a conversation with AlterVista support will be appropriate anyway. Since why there would be such outgoing communication blocks in the first place, and whether it's something you can (or even should) attempt to override, seems like information only they would be in the position to know.

That does still seem separate from the phpbb.com case, at least for now. While it's possible that there is something on AlterVista which is mangling the version check requests entirely outside of phpBB's own code, it still doesn't immediately make sense why the problem would only be happening to the extension version requests, and not also to the phpBB version requests.

If Paul happens to be able to come back saying the HTTP request path actually was mangled in a way that caused the 410, then this will point back to AlterVista as being a potential cause. But that still leaves the possibility that Paul could find the request was rejected because the IP belongs to a network being intentionally blocked for some reason, or similar, at phpbb.com's end. Or, that we won't find any answers there at all.

david63 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:13 pm
Yes, in the case of version.phpbbdev.space, this clearly is the problem. Not so clear what the problem is for the other extensions which use phpbb.com, since those checks are not being blocked in this same manner. Nor why phpBB's own version check is able to succeed, when it too uses phpbb.com.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:36 pm

hurghanico wrote:
The message is clear to me: go to your control panel in Altervista, see Resources/PHP settings, and free that blocked connection.
What is not clear to me is HOW though, it could be some PHP directive, in doubt seek assistance there in the forums, is not a phpBB issue. ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm

EA117 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Can you talk to your AlterVista hosting support about this particular version.phpbbdev.space case, where your phpBB communication seems to have been blocked by AlterVista itself? You might look in the PHP Settings section of their control panel just to see if you can identify whether a configuration exists to try and block certain hosts or not. But regardless of what you find, I think a conversation with AlterVista support will be appropriate anyway. Since why there would be such outgoing communication blocks in the first place, and whether it's something you can (or even should) attempt to override, seems like information only they would be in the position to know.
david63 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:13 pm
hurghanico wrote:
Destination host not allowed, unblock the connection in the AlterVista panel (Resources> PHP Settings)
I'll give a look again in my altervista (limited) control panel to see if I can find which setting is blocking the communication with the destination host, and I'll try to speak with the AlterVista support guys..

However I still wonder why this problem occurred after upgrading to the latest phpbb version 3.2.8.
I have had the same extensions for a long time, the only modification of recent times has been the updating of the board.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:17 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm
However I still wonder why this problem occurred after upgrading to the latest phpbb version 3.2.8.
I have had the same extensions for a long time, the only modification of recent times has been the updating of the board.
Definitely a relevant question. From diff'ing the phpBB 3.2.7 to phpBB 3.2.8 code just now, there aren't any changes in the acp_extensions.php, version_helper.php or file_downloader.php that would align with "maybe phpBB 3.2.8 presented a new behavior here."

Technically there were some changes in the underlying Symfony HTTP hander framework too, but the file_downloader.php in question here doesn't actually use that, and is just reading and writing directly to an open winsock socket in PHP.

So based on the evidence we can see thus far, if the issue "started at the same time I updated to phpBB 3.2.8", I would have to equally suspect that the hosting configuration may have just changed around that same time. That's happened before, when a hosting service just happened to update their mod_security rules around the same time someone made a change, and the investigation was more difficult because of the coincidence.

Since we're still considering that part of this issue might be something at the phpbb.com server's end, perhaps that is where the only actual change happened around the same time you updated to phpBB 3.2.8. Or at the time when they updated to phpBB 3.2.8.

i.e. Maybe the one extension, Privacy Policy, never has "looked like there was an updated version" for you, due to what we now believe is an AlterVista-side block. But that didn't matter and wasn't noticable, because all the rest of the extensions went green or red. i.e. Privacy Policy would have looked no different than an extension which simply doesn't provide an version check URL. But then when phpbb.com stopped answering the version check requests, "now it's all of them" that don't go green.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm

3Di wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:36 pm
The message is clear to me: go to your control panel in Altervista, see Resources/PHP settings, and free that blocked connection.
What is not clear to me is HOW though, it could be some PHP directive, in doubt seek assistance there in the forums, is not a phpBB issue. ;)
EA117 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 pm
That certainly is interesting, since in this one case where the version check server is something other than phpbb.com, the message implies it is your hosting provider's configuration which is blocking the outgoing request. As opposed to the other failure cases, in which phpBB appears to have been allowed to send the outgoing request, but then received an error response back instead of the expected data.
The AlterVista host has always offered to do the board update through their procedure, but I always preferred to do it manually by myself, also because the offered by them updated version has never been the latest stable one available instead from here, but an older one.

Now, given the latest discoveries, in my host control panel under the php settings I found a "Server-to-Server connections" panel where there are 2 options:

- limited external access to whitelisted domains (the one selected)

- external connection without restrictions

the fixed not editable whitelist is the following:

Code: Select all

*.aa.altervista.org
    *.amazonaws.com
    *.api.mailchimp.com
    *.api.twitter.com
    *.apis.google.com
    *.badoo.com
    *.bing.com
    *.blogger.com
    *.blogspot.com
    *.blogspot.de
    *.blogspot.it
    *.botscout.com
    *.bp.blogspot.com
    *.cleantalk.org
    *.cloudflare.com
    *.coalaweb.com
    *.credly.com
    *.customer.envatousercontent.com
    *.dailymotion.com
    *.delicious.com
    *.dev.altervista.org
    *.digg.com
    *.disqus.com
    *.dmcdn.net
    *.drupal.org
    *.elementor.com
    *.envato.com
    *.envatousercontent.com
    *.facebook.com
    *.feedburner.com
    *.files.wordpress.com
    *.flickr.com
    *.flipboard.com
    *.freemius.com
    *.friendfeed.com
    *.genesistheme.com
    *.google-analytics.com
    *.google.com
    *.google.it
    *.googleapis.com
    *.googleusercontent.com
    *.identi.ca
    *.imageshack.us
    *.intensedebate.com
    *.invisionpower.com
    *.joomla.org
    *.joomlacode.org
    *.keycaptcha.com
    *.koken.me
    *.linkedin.com
    *.liquida.it
    *.mailchimp.com
    *.myblog.it
    *.myspace.com
    *.new.facebook.com
    *.nexmo.com
    *.oneall.com
    *.parse.com
    *.paypal.com
    *.photobucket.com
    *.phpbb.com
    *.pinterest.com
    *.polldaddy.com
    *.rating-widget.com
    *.recaptcha.net
    *.rest.akismet.com
    *.sandbox.paypal.com
    *.sendinblue.com
    *.shareaholic.com
    *.simplemachines.org
    *.skype.com
    *.splinder.com
    *.stopforumspam.com
    *.stumbleupon.com
    *.svn.wordpress.org
    *.tapatalk.com
    *.tumblr.com
    *.twitter.com
    *.upcloo.com
    *.vimeo.com
    *.weglot.com
    *.wikimedia.org
    *.wikipedia.org
    *.woltlab.com
    *.wordpress.com
    *.wordpress.org
    *.wp-rocket.me
    *.wp.com
    *.wpbakery.com
    *.wptouch.com
    *.xanga.com
    *.yahoo.com
    *.yahooapis.com
    *.yoast.com
    *.youtube.com
    *.yurifarina.com
    aa.altervista.org
    ap.altervista.org
    api.dropbox.com
    api.instagram.com
    api.ipinfodb.com
    api.monsterinsights.com
    api.sendgrid.com
    api.smugmug.com
    api.telegram.org
    api.wunderground.com
    app.gopostmatic.com
    as.altervista.org
    bit.ly
    blip.tv
    blog.altervista.org
    cloudflare.com
    club.giovani.it
    coalaweb.com
    datamarket.azure.com
    deliciousbrains.com
    disqus.com
    dmcdn.net
    en.altervista.org
    envato.com
    feeds.joomlatools.org
    flickr.com
    flipboard.com
    freegeoip.net
    freshmeat.net
    gdata.youtube.com
    gzapi.avlink.it
    im.altervista.org
    instagr.am
    it.altervista.org
    joomla.org
    joomlacode.org
    lab.viddler.com
    mandrillapp.com
    myspace.com
    news.altervista.org
    np-test.altervista.org
    np.altervista.org
    production.shippingapis.com
    qik.com
    rating-widget.com
    rest.akismet.com
    revision3.com
    rpc.pingomatic.com
    rpc.technorati.com
    rss.html.it
    sendgrid.com
    social-slider.xn--wicek-k0a.pl
    soundcloud.com
    sso.shinystat.com
    submissions.ask.com
    tapatalk.com
    technorati.com
    templates.themepunch.tools
    themes.wordpress.net
    token.alt.nucaptcha.com
    token.nucaptcha.com
    translate.yoast.com
    twitter.com
    updates.themepunch.tools
    validate.alt.nucaptcha.com
    validate.nucaptcha.com
    vimeo.com
    webmaster.live.com
    weglot.com
    woocommerce.com
    woodojo.s3.amazonaws.com
    wordpress.com
    wordpress.mailmunch.co
    wordpress.org
    wordpress.tv
    wp-rocket.me
    wp.altervista.org
    wp.com
    wptouch-pro-3.s3.amazonaws.com
    www.blogglue.com
    www.funnyordie.com
    www.hulu.com
    www.instagram.com
    www.joomla.it
    www.linksalpha.com
    www.monsterinsights.com
    www.pivotlog.net
    www.punto-informatico.it
    www.scribd.com
    www.slideshare.net
    www.woothemes.com
    www.xoops.org
    yoast.com

So, now I changed the setting and I selected the "external connection without restrictions", and then I've been notified that I should wait about 30 minutes for the change to be effective.

So I will see what happens and report back as soon as I get some results.
I am always grateful for your help.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm
the fixed not editable whitelist is the following:
So, now I changed the setting and I selected the "external connection without restrictions", and then I've been notified that I should wait about 30 minutes for the change to be effective.
Indeed, absence of *.phpbbdev.space or version.phpbbdev.space in that whitelist would directly explain why the Privacy Policy extension is unable to retrieve its version check information.

Still no evidence linking this to why extension version checks against phpbb.com are failing; both since *.phpbb.com is in the whitelist, and also because the checking of phpBB's own version already succeeds in successfully communicating with phpbb.com.

But that behavior can be re-evaluated once the whitelist is disabled, and it's confirmed that the Privacy Policy extension is now able to successfully check its version.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm

EA117 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm
But that behavior can be re-evaluated once the whitelist is disabled, and it's confirmed that the Privacy Policy extension is now able to successfully check its version.
No good news for the moment, everything is exactly as before ..

in the meantime I tried to think of other possible reasons, like for example the upload of the installation files that perhaps had to be done in binary mode instead of automatic, or maybe some problem due to some settings that has to do with the protected encrypted communication.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
in the meantime I tried to think of other possible reasons, like for example the upload of the installation files that perhaps had to be done in binary mode instead of automatic, or maybe some problem due to some settings that has to do with the protected encrypted communication.
If it was not in binary mode, it ill only be a problem if there images without an extension.

edit: added a forgotten not
Last edited by warmweer on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm

I always transfer everything in binary mode. Never failed.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm

3Di wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm
Oops, It seems I didn't type the "not" (now edited to include the "not".)
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 pm

3Di wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:14 pm
are you suggesting me to upload the full 3.2.8 package in binary mode and update my board again?

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 pm

I pointed out that FTP binary mode is the way to go. A must I can say.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”