Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EA117

Re: Does the Extension Manager "re-check all versions" still work?

Post by EA117 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
No good news for the moment, everything is exactly as before ..
Well since it hadn't been thirty minutes yet, I will continue to hold out hope that at least the Privacy Policy extension version check behavior changes in response to your configuration change. 😁

hurghanico wrote:
in the meantime I tried to think of other possible reasons, like for example the upload of the installation files that perhaps had to be done in binary mode instead of automatic...
It's a fair recommendation to simply say "always transfer all files in binary mode", since its pretty rare from what I've seen for someone's web server to require ASCII FTP transfer for correct operation. That said, the problem you're having right now isn't one I would expect to attribute to "maybe the files were not transferred correctly", either.

That issue usually becomes apparent in files which actually are binary content; such as font files, images, archive files, etc. ASCII transfer of those types of files modify them into something which no longer works correctly. On the other hand, files such as PHP source files, HTML files, CSS files, configuration files -- things which actually are text -- are unlikely to complain or cause misbehavior by having passed through FTP ASCII translation. Not withstanding "they were modified by FTP ASCII transfer, when they were not intended to be modified."

Re-uploading with binary transfer for all files couldn't hurt, just to take that question out of anyone's mind. Just be sure and retain your /ext folder this time around 😜 in addition to config.php and other site-specific files.

Also, when performing updates of phpBB, it's recommended that the existing /vendor directory actually be removed, before uploading the new /vendor directory. i.e. So that obsolete files will no longer exist, rather than remain. If you don't think your previous update was performed that way, maybe you could handle the /vendor directory this way during the re-upload. Note it does take your site entirely offline while this process is occurring, since the /vendor directory is key to everything.

hurghanico wrote:
...or maybe some problem due to some settings that has to do with the protected encrypted communication.
One thing which had crossed my mind was whether it was "HTTP communication from your host is blocked, while HTTPS is not" or vice-versa. e.g. Maybe the phpBB version check happened over HTTPS, but all these extension version checks are happening over HTTP. But it turns out even phpBB's version check actually happens over HTTP too. So in this particular regard, the extension version checks should not have been any more or less successful than phpBB's version check.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:18 pm

I wrote about my board issue also in the AlterVista support forum, describing also the steps done based on your suggestions here.
Probably I'll get some response tomorrow.

I tried again to see if anything changed for the better in my board if I check the ext versions, but the same issue is still there.

I'll try to re-upload the files in binary mode, and re-update the board, to see if it solves something.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 am

Ok, I re-uploaded all the necessary files in binary mode, and re-installed them, but I still have the same issues as before..

However I think that it might worth noticing that the messages I get during the updating procedure are somewhat suspect, ie I might be wrong, but it's like the procedure is still expecting that I do the automatic update as I did several times in the past, instead of using the full package as I'm doing.

I get the following screens:
and then

so basically what gets updated is only the database (successfully)
this same thing happened also in my last update tries with the full package..

I followed the instructions given here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

is that normal?

PS. (the automatic update method never gave me warnings or error messages)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:57 am

hurghanico wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 am
so basically what gets updated is only the database (successfully)
is that normal?
Yes, both the "No valid update directory was found" message, and the outcome of "only the database is updated" are both normal.

You have already performed the "file updates" by virtue of having used FTP to transfer the Full Package contents. There is no "file update" step for this kind of update to perform. Which leaves only the database update processing to be executed.

The warning message is a bit "unexpected" by everyone. But essentially it's the update code's way of alerting us & confirming "there are not any automatic update file modifications in the current install folder." But it's not a very intuitive message.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am

Thank you for clarifying this doubt..

anyway in my opinion in the next versions of phpbb, the board updating procedure should be made clearer, who knows how many people like me have had the same doubt..

In regards to my starting problem, I have no positive news to report..
although from yesterday I have (at least apparently) unlocked all server to server connections through my AlterVista control panel, absolutely nothing has changed..

..that is, the version check of the extensions does not work, and so does the Privacy Policy extension which, in addition to not working anymore, gives me a fatal error as soon as I try to go into its settings..

I'm waiting for a reply to my request in the AlterVista support forum
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:25 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am
anyway in my opinion in the next versions of phpbb, the board updating procedure should be made clearer, who knows how many people like me have had the same doubt.
In the printscreen you showed, there is only one option which is to update database only. That is perfectly clear to me (and many others). If anything is unclear then it's probably related to not reading the update instructions before starting an update.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:25 pm
In the printscreen you showed, there is only one option which is to update database only. That is perfectly clear to me (and many others). If anything is unclear then it's probably related to not reading the update instructions before starting an update.
I've read the update instructions before starting the update, but grant me the validity of the fact that it is not very reassuring to see a message that says: No valid update directory was found, please make sure you uploaded the relevant files.

Since I don't think I'm a retard, I guess that many others like me have had the same perplexity when reading that warning.

Honestly I haven't read anywhere that you don't have to worry about the message above.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:07 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm
Since I don't think I'm a retard, I guess that many others like me have had the same perplexity when reading that warning.

Honestly I haven't read anywhere that you don't have to worry about the message above.
I wasn't implying anything related to being a retard (apologies offered if it seemed that way) but it just isn't something I have ever pondered about, maybe precisely because there's only one way forward (unless you use the back button in the browser) and to me the message is just a reminder to check, before continuing, whether all necessary files were uploaded.
I have no objection if a better wording is found.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 pm

@warmweer

It's ok. I don't think you were implying something..

what I can add to this discussion is that if instead of the full package update method you use the automatic update procedure (which I used several times previously) and obviously you follow all the instructions to the letter, IIRC no warning similar to the one above is shown, everything seems to work in a more direct and linear way, leaving no room for doubts.

However, now I am aware of the right interpretation of the mentioned warning, but thanks to the explanations of the forum members over here.

Before I had instead the doubt that the possible dependencies between the new uploaded files and the system were not updated as perhaps due (I am not an expert, but I imagine that this was already clear), and that therefore the updating procedure was able/forced to update only the database (the only option left)..

Now everything is more clear.
Thanks.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am
..that is, the version check of the extensions does not work, and so does the Privacy Policy extension which, in addition to not working anymore, gives me a fatal error as soon as I try to go into its settings..

I'm waiting for a reply to my request in the AlterVista support forum
Well that's disappointing not to have some kind of immediate change. Hopefully you learn something interesting from contacting them about why this non-phpbb.com host doesn't seem to have become un-blocked.

When you use the debug version-helper.php while checking the Privacy Policy version now, does it still show exactly the same "Host di destinazione non consentito..." message directing you to un-block the host in the AlterVista configuration? No need to cut-n-paste the results again, unless you are now seeing something different.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm

What I did not realise about the host, altervista, is that it is a free host and this may be one of the limitations imposed by the host and if it is then I doubt that there is much that can be done other than find another host that does not have this limitation. I have to say that I have never heard of this restriction on any other host before.

The other possibility, which may or may not be connected, is that Cloudflare is blocking outgoing connections.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Well, they at least offer a configuration for disabling the whitelist... but only time will tell if that configuration is actually honored.

But that still stands separate from the fact that phpbb.com is already in the whitelist. And communication to phpbb.com is allowed, or else the phpBB version check wouldn't work. Yet still the extension version checks that require phpbb.com seem to be getting failure responses from phpbb.com.

Cloudflare isn't involved because this is outbound communication initiated by phpBB itself. i.e. The phpBB server is making an HTTP request to another server. Only if the destination was behind Cloudflare, e.g. version.phpbbdev.space or phpbb.com, would Cloudflare still be involved in this version check communication.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm

@OP: Please use the quote function only when it is needed to make your reply clear and only quote the parts necessary not the whole post every time. Excessive quoting (especially of long messages and/or multiple images) makes reading the post extremely difficult and tiresome. A member of the community team mentioned it here. Thanks.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

EA117 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 pm
When you use the debug version-helper.php while checking the Privacy Policy version now, does it still show exactly the same "Host di destinazione non consentito..." message directing you to un-block the host in the AlterVista configuration? No need to cut-n-paste the results again, unless you are now seeing something different.
No, I get the following:

Code: Select all

Before download:

string(22) "version.phpbbdev.space"
string(4) "/3.2"
string(33) "/privacy_policy_version_file.json"
int(80)

Before decode:

string(961) "

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.

Web Server at ***********************

"

After decode:

NULL

After sanitize:

NULL
Last edited by hurghanico on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:59 pm

hurghanico wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm
Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.

Web Server at someplace, somewhere.
Okay, well that's at least one piece of good news then, since the AlterVista configuration to disable the whitelist actually worked. You're now getting a response from the Privacy Policy extension's version.phpbbdev.space server, instead of being blocked by AlterVista.

But now the issue is that even version.phpbbdev.space failed this request with 403, similar (but not the same) as how www.phpbb.com is failing the request with 410 when its for an extension version check (as opposed to the actual phpBB version check).
david63 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Web Server at someplace, somewhere.
@david63, I don't suppose you can readily tell from your server logs "why" this request which should have contained the correct "/3.2/privacy_policy_version_file.json" path was just denied with HTTP 403? i.e. Because something was mangled about the path and wasn't actually the correct path, or because the requesting IP address was on some blacklist, or because mod_security kicked in on some aspect of the request which doesn't happen for the other successful version check requests, etc.

Maybe this "free host" is just on everyone's blacklist for whatever reason. And in phpbb.com's case, only Tatiana ends up rejecting it for this reason (i.e. so only the extension version checks fail), whereas the phpBB version check for some reason is not set to reject the same blacklist? Hopefully Paul or David can end up confirming the source of the rejection, even if just to confirm there is nothing to be done about it.

edit: Removing unwanted information references.
Last edited by EA117 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”