login issues

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Exclusive

Re: login issues

Post by Exclusive » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Purge cache. If you cannot access the admin area, from cPanel, locate your forums directory, cache folder > production, delete everything in the production folder. After doing this, clear your browser's cache and try logging in.
Use Search Button to get Instant Results | Follow Forum Rules
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

Checkout Siteground's Web Hosting | ✔ Buy Cheap Domain Names

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Scanialady wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm
the connection may be that this users have saved a favorite link for your forum which contains the session ID and/or may be they use browser sync with their mobile devices. The session ID is the most common reason for such problems.

If they delete their favorite links, close and open new their browser, login than by typing the address manually - does it work?
I will get them to try that

sakm

Post by sakm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:09 pm
sakm wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 am
although both board have had the same treatment but no issues on the other board have been reported
Well they havn’t really, the board your reporting has a different/modified style to the other. For instance this one doesn’t have quick links and the second one does. Did you swap back to the default prosilver style to test?
sakm wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:49 pm
Could this be related to sessions at all?
Could be, you can try clicking ‘delete cookies’ and renaming the cookie name by changing the last number. It may also be worth changing the all uppercase part to lower case, I don’t know if that will make any difference but it’s worth a try.

The board was set to prosilver as the default for testing and set back to se square left after we figured out the style made no difference

The quick links are done by an extension and an official phpBB one at that and the styles aren't modified in any shape or form they have extensions but no core changes

Delete cookies has been clicked the cookie name has been changed and sessions have been purged and the cache has been cleared

sakm

Post by sakm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am

still not go a resolution to this!

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Because only individual users are affected: did you try to clarify the question about the bookmarks, as suggested here?

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2530841#p15372801
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

sakm

Post by sakm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Scanialady wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:43 pm
Because only individual users are affected: did you try to clarify the question about the bookmarks, as suggested here?

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2530841#p15372801
Yes

Sorry I forgot to reply to that!

one user types the website address every time! some are on mobile devices and leave the tabs open all the time and have even tried closing them and restarting their browsers with no luck!

I have rebooted my server as a last resort!

sakm

Post by sakm » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:43 am

Finally figured this out!

If member goes to active topics and leaves the page open in their browser and comes back after a few hours and refreshes they are logged out!

This doesn't happen on any other page except active topics!

I am wondering if this could be a bug?

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm

If they stay "few hours" on page without action - may be the session ends.

You could increase the session timeout. Or you could tell him to log out when he goes afk :D
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

sakm

Post by sakm » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Scanialady wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:48 pm
You could increase the session timeout. Or you could tell him to log out when he goes afk :D

But then that defeats the object of ticking the keep me logged in box!

I thought it might be something to do with sessions so I will have a mess about with the session length but whats classed as an ideal setting :?

Scanialady

Post by Scanialady » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm

I don't like to have sessions with more than some hours - people who never log out endanger their account and the board.

sakm

Post by sakm » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Mine are set to an hour!

but this can't be just related to my board and surely the remember me should still work and not log you out just because you have left active topics open

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:27 pm

people who never log out endanger their account and the board.
Can you give me the reason why that is dangerous. ?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”