Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Vard

Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Post by Vard »

DreamHost no longer supports my board and has "switched from php 5 to 7.2". Of course they had to make this move right after I gave my users time to backup their gallery posts and began troubleshooting errors I was getting while upgrading my board :roll:

Where do I go from here? Should I just find a new host that will support my board to I can upgrade properly (ifso does anyone have an recommendations), or should I try to run it on localhost and update it from there (could anyone explain what this process entails)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Vard on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Trying to Update 3.1.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:42 am
DreamHost no longer supports my board and has "switched from php 5 to 7.2".
If you have a database backup then there is no problem at all, providing no files were lost.
phpBB3.2.8 is compatible with php 7.2 and restoring your board should be relatively simple.

The keyword here is database backup.

Which way you restore your board will depend on certain factors, the information on which you can supply by posting the Support Request Template.

With a bit of luck restoring and upgrading you board can be done on the host server, but using a personal webserver may be quicker (depending on the info you supply with the SRT).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.2
What is your board's URL? http://archive.finchforum.com
Who do you host your board with? DreamHost
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.2
What MODs do you have installed? Gallery, Phoogle Map, and I don't know what else.
What extensions do you have installed? I think there are extensions but I don't know.
What styles do you currently have installed? ProSilver and "Prosilver2"
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Attempted to update board and the update timed out/broke the board. I reuploaded the board in FTP from a backup and attempted again, as I figured out what was causing the time out, but DreamHost updated php the same time and I could no longer login etc.
Please describe your problem. DreamHost updated to php7.2 and my board is incompatible. Can't update because I can't access my board.
Generated by SRT Generator

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:38 am
Please describe your problem. DreamHost updated to php7.2 and my board is incompatible. Can't update because I can't access my board.
Ask Dreamhost to temporarily downgrade the php version so that you can restart the upgrade.
If they can't/won't do that, it still possible to upgrade online, but you may run into problems caused by your database (if it wasn't cleaned properly: the mods you mentioned, outdated extensions, styles).

It also depends on whether you have a database backup from before starting the upgrade.

If you have a database backup, then I suggest starting all over again on localhost. ONce finished all you would need to do is to imports the (localhost) database and to upload the 3.2.8 files. (keep a backup of you config.php).

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Vard

Post by Vard »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 am
Ask Dreamhost to temporarily downgrade the php version so that you can restart the upgrade.
I've already asked DreamHost and they said they can't give me more time. I do have a backup of the initial board which includes the database; none of this is an issue.

What's the routine to follow for getting the board up on localhost? Can I get a summary so I'm not fumbling around in the dark while reading, what I assume, will be pages of instructions to get this board running?
Last edited by Mick on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Mick wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:03 am
Does this help? https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/art ... DreamHost-
No it doesn't. I don't know what any of this means and it seems like a whole'nother ball of wax.

I'm really surprised there aren't 'packaged' solutions for issues like this when you need to do something as simple as 'simulate' the board in order to get it to run for an update. :idea:

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 pm
What's the routine to follow for getting the board up on localhost? Can I get a summary so I'm not fumbling around in the dark while reading, what I assume, will be pages of instructions to get this board running?
Download usbwebserver version 8.6.1 (https://usbwebserver.yura.mk.ua/). This uses php 5.6
Install (e.g. in c:/usbwebserver) and in the /root make a directory /forum
in /forum extract the phpbb files (from the backup) board was running on.
Use your database backup (which worked with the files you just used) to make and populate a database which you will use for your board.
Edit the config.php to reflect the new situation. (keep a copy of the config.php for reference)
Browse to your board and verify that everything is working as expected.
Prepare your board for updating (checking extensions and removing if necessary, same with styles).
Follow the 3.1 to 3.2 update instructions (full package) and upgrade to 3.2. Test.
Once succesful, take a backup of the database and import that into your online database. Replace your online files with the 3.2.8 files (edit your online config.php to reflect the change in structure for 3.2.8). Check the board configuaration (cookie settings, server settings and edit if necessary)

Congratulations, your board is back online and updated to 3.2.8.

PS, I advised USBWebserver because you won't have to worry about configuring it. (There are better packages but configuring those will take longer than the whole USBWebserver installation + upgrade)

A couple of reads which may clarify a few things.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... eb-server/
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ase-dumps/
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Vard wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm really surprised there aren't 'packaged' solutions for issues like this when you need to do something as simple as 'simulate' the board in order to get it to run for an update. :idea:
There are. In addition to the suggestion by warmweer, there is this - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... eb-server/

A few notes. XAMPP is also available for MAC OSX. And you don't want to download the latest version of XAMPP, you want the one with php 5.6. Reminder to self - update that KB article.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Vard

Post by Vard »

Im copying over the phpbb files to use right now.
Use your database backup (which worked with the files you just used) to make and populate a database which you will use for your board.
Edit the config.php to reflect the new situation. (keep a copy of the config.php for reference)
There are. In addition to the suggestion by warmweer, there is this - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... eb-server/
I'm not understanding. Am I using XAMPP in conjunction with usbwebserver, or just either? I've already downloaded usbwebserver and placed my files in there so I'd rather just stick with this option, but wherein and exactly what am I doing with my database file (in the sql file format, I'm assuming).

The tutorials are adding more confusion than clarity. I understand that I need to 'host' the phpbb and 'host' the DB and then point them to each other, but the process is very convoluted.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Either/or. Stick with the one you started with.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Vard

Post by Vard »

Now that I've opened the console, a bit more makes sense:

At least that's one step in the right direction, now what am I doing with the DB? Can I get it up there as it is without having to rename anything etc.? Gonna need some details on that.

Can I use phpmyadmin or heidisql to just import it and then export it when I complete the update?

I know these might seem like silly questions but I just want to make sure that when I do the update it's ready to get shoved back on my domain without any sideline issues.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Your config.php file is still pointing to the database on the remote server. You need to import your database from there, and create a local database and populate if with your data and then edit contig.php to point to this local database. That was explained above.

Vard

Post by Vard »

She's running. I'll follow the tutorial for the update and see what happens. I appreciate the help.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Another problem, as is to be expected of course. :roll:

How do I remove MODs properly? When I use STK and run the database cleaner and proceed to remove the items listed as "EXTRA", the board takes a shit and stops functioning (mysql error when I refresh or navigate out).

I have a backup of the DB so I just reloaded it, but are there any particular items I'm looking for? I didn't install the addons myself as I wasn't the one who made the board. Some items seem obvious (e.g. phpbb3_gallery_x, phpbb3_phoogle_x), but others less so (phpbb3_calendar_x, phpbb3_error_log).

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”