Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Trying to Update 3.1.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Post by stevemaury »

What is the mysql error?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Vard

Post by Vard »

Idk what it is I didn't screenshot it. Would you like me to delete stuff through STK Database Cleaner in order to find out again?

EDIT: I mean, here you go but I think the issue seems pretty clear. I'm deleting the wrong thing; how do I delete the right things? What are my MODs labeled as in the Database Cleaner, or do I need to delete them another way?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Where did you read to use the STK??
And there are no mods in 3.1.x so don't understand what you are doing.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The board as per the SRT is 3.0.12 so I’m a bit confused as well :D
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

The prosilver version = 3.0.12. and as such I can't imagine there being any extensions either
What is "prosilver2"?

The sql error seems to suggests that an update was tried, and it failed at a certain point.
If you tried to go back to the pre-update situation, then reuploading the old files form a backup isn't sufficient. That only restores the files but the database is not the 3.0.12 database anymore but has been changed during the update.
So you'll need to restore a database backup.

The mods that were installed ... are the installation files in the files backup you have. If not, can you find the installation files on phpBB.com? (those should provide enough information to undo all changes.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Oops. My mistake. I meant to write 3.0.12. Hasn't seemed to misguide us so far, but hopefully it won't hamper anything else.
Where did you read to use the STK??
And there are no mods in 3.1.x so don't understand what you are doing.
I was told that the gallery was indeed a MOD or extension which would be made incompatible after updating to 3.2. php_gallery also shows up in the STK Database Cleaner list if this clarifies anything.
The sql error seems to suggests that an update was tried, and it failed at a certain point.
If you tried to go back to the pre-update situation, then reuploading the old files form a backup isn't sufficient. That only restores the files but the database is not the 3.0.12 database anymore but has been changed during the update.
So you'll need to restore a database backup.
The SQL error appears after I attempt to use STK to remove MODs or what's classified as "Extra" (everything's classified as extra :roll: ), no updates have been applied as of yet because I can't/don't know how to remove the MODs. Im still at that step.

Is there a page where, if I had MODs installed I can just view them outright to remove them? That would be nice. Here's a SS for the MOD tab in my ACP:

It appears that user friendliness is not a strong suit in phpbb. It's like a maze.

Just for clarification, I'm using this guide (https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/) and it states that MODs must be removed before updating, so that's what I'm trying to do.
The mods that were installed ... are the installation files in the files backup you have. If not, can you find the installation files on phpBB.com? (those should provide enough information to undo all changes.
I was not given a mod-less backup. What I have is what I've got: A 3.0.12 board with mods on it.

janus_zonstraal

Re: Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

It appears that user friendliness is not a strong suit in phpbb. It's like a maze.
You did nothing on your board for ten years en giving us now the wrong info about your version, but it is still phpbb fault :roll:

Vard

Post by Vard »

This board was acquired recently as a work of charity for an aviculture community; I did not create it nor have I been responsible for maintaining it until just recently, so yes it has cobwebs. I've worked on many web projects, but this has by far been the most complex and headache inducing in over a decade, especially when it comes to getting direct answers from support about my issues it seems. :roll:

The board version hasn't hampered the progress so far, but hey, at least we know now. ;) Hasn't changed the angle of the troubleshooting it seems. Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated, and the results they yield will benefit a very passionate community.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am
The SQL error appears after I attempt to use STK to remove MODs or what's classified as "Extra" (everything's classified as extra :roll: ), no updates have been applied as of yet because I can't/don't know how to remove the MODs. Im still at that step.
This is confusing:

Code: Select all

What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
This suggest you did try to update, and later you mentioned that you had restored your board form FTP.
The database you are trying to clean with the STK: is that the database on which no update procedure was started? Can you confirm the board works in the 3.0.12 version?

BTW I see the automod tab in your printscreen. In your files backup: are the mod-installation files there. These contain all the data needed to install the mods, so ... in those files are present, the mods can be uninstalled manually. (file changes don't have to be uninstalled as the 3.0.12 files will be replaced anyway).

Vard

Post by Vard »

>In which no update procedure was started.

Yes sir it is. Here let me grab a SS of the version:
As I mentioned, the SQL errors only emerged after I used STK DB Cleaner to clear what I thought were listed mods. I have a backup DB that I reloaded when it broke the board (twice, in fact, because I used DB Cleaner again so that the error would reappear to give you the SQL error screenshot that was inquired of me). Right now, the board is functional and everything is accessible ofc.

>In your files backup: are the mod installation files there.

In what way? I see a folder for the gallery I assume, as it's clearly labeled gallery. A file named phoogle. Here, see if you can recognize anything:

They've gadda be in here somewhere! :mrgreen:

As I'm aware, at least according to the update tutorial, I believe I'm going to have to delete all of this anyway. My concern is do I need to make any changes which would see the removal of items from the DB in order for everything to be clear for the update? And if so, what should I look up in relation to the mods I have installed to ensure that everything is cleared out accordingly?

Also apologies for the recent action option select in for the support template. It was a kneejerk selection based on the options available from the dropdown, and the fact that I had attempted an update before I made this thread back when DreamHost was supporting my board, and it timed out. Consider the update as though it were never applied, because the DB and phpbb files I'm using are the board is it was before tampering at all.

I need to retire for bed now, but I'll continue to look into the matter based on your recommendations when I wake up. Thanks again!
Last edited by Mick on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:43 am
As I'm aware, at least according to the update tutorial, I believe I'm going to have to delete all of this anyway. My concern is do I need to make any changes which would see the removal of items from the DB in order for everything to be clear for the update? And if so, what should I look up in relation to the mods I have installed to ensure that everything is cleared out accordingly?
There will certainly be some database changes as data was stored.
If the changes were limited to extra tables, then deleting those tables is sufficIent.
But, you have the automod tab in your printscreen so that module was added (and probably more), perhaps permissions were added. These extras have to be removed before starting the update.
If you have the installation files of those mods, reading through them will allow identification of all the database modifications.
If you don't, then a manual comparison of the current database with a clean 3.0.12 database may be necessary. (it's feasible but will take some time).
I'm not sure whether the STK can identify all database changes but I would certainly try that. (if your 3.0.12 works properly then start by deleting any extra languages and styles - no point in manually examining those as they have to be removed anyway).

janus_zonstraal

Don't remove the Gallery folder!!!
First read this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... y/faq/2181

And maybe it is better to ask somebody here to do the update for you, someone who is more experience with phpbb and the Gallery extension.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Alright well, before we attempt to solve yet another puzzle, as this apparatus is want to have us do, I'm taking a look at the AUTOMOD tab.

Fortunately, this has a common sense interface (Actions - Uninstall), and there's even an item for the gallery:

There's also a section for "Uninstalled MODs". (What's happening here? Are the MOD files still present somewhere and they're just 'moved' or 'deactivated' when uninstalled from the board?)

Still, there's no item for phoogle, and nothing spare for the gallery from what I can tell that relates to the features within the MODs tab.

So, what's my next course of action in order to update? Do I need to uninstall the items listed under AUTOMOD, as well as those features listed under MODs? The update tutorial, in this regard, seems to be highly unreliable.
Don't remove the Gallery folder!!!
First read this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... y/faq/2181

And maybe it is better to ask somebody here to do the update for you, someone who is more experience with phpbb and the Gallery extension.
I'll worry about the gallery later; I have it backed up and it's not my primary concern. I'd love if someone could do the update for me, although I'm a little concerned that the issues I'm having seem to elude support just as much as they elude me.
But, you have the automod tab in your printscreen so that module was added (and probably more), perhaps permissions were added. These extras have to be removed before starting the update.
So plainly, I uninstall all the items listed under AUTOMOD and then I need to find some alternative method for removing what's under MODs, yes?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:23 am
So plainly, I uninstall all the items listed under AUTOMOD and then I need to find some alternative method for removing what's under MODs, yes?
AutoMod was an instrument for applying the file changes for a modification. Database changes still had to be performed manually (although I have to admit that it's been so long ago that perhaps I missed a later version which did apply database changes - I doubt it though).
If I am correct, then the uninstall feature of AutoMod will undo file changes but not database changes.
One of the problems with using AutoMod to uninstall a modification is that it resets the files to the state before having installed a specific mod.
If you had installed 2 mods (A and B, in that order) then after installing A there would be a backup of changed files (clean). Then after installing B, a backup of files would be created, which would contain edits by modification A (if the same files were affected).
When uninstalling, there are now 2 possibilities, either B first and then A, or A first and then B but the only correct way is to uninstall the last modification first (B in this case) and then A. If you do it the other way (A first and then B), you end up with a fileset in which A was applied (since B was applied after A).
Not that this is important in your case, since all 3.0 files will be replaced by 3.2 versions anyway.
The important thing before upgrading is that all database modifications are removed (that is extra tables, changed field definitions, extra fields, even sometimes extra data (example : modules), or even deleted data (example: bots). And Automod can't do that (if memory serves me right).

However, you probably have a directory mod inside your /store and IIRC that is where the mod installation files were kept (I think) and if those files are still there, the instructions regarding installation, including database changes, are there so that should allow undoing all database changes (manually)

The STK can also be used for that (and is probably safer than manual database editing) but I'm not uptodate with the latest version and I have no idea whether it delivers a totally clean database.

Your best bet is to use the STK on the database (but keep a complete backup: files and database) before making any changes.
Also realise that after using the STK, the changes necessary for the mods to work are not present anymore, and if you use your board with the modded files, you will get errors (so testing should be done with clean 3.0.12 files).
I do recommend testing at that stage because there's no point in trying to upgrade a database which already gives errors. And since you're using 3.0.12, you might as well update to 3.0.14 (an extra test - if it passes you're probably set to go).

Repeated advice: keep a backup of your current database: some data may come in handy later (for re-use, e.g. Gender, ABBC if you have extra BBcodes).

Added later:
Just noticed that most 3.0 mods are still available in the 3.0 Mod Release forum.
If you haven't got the install files anymore, that's were you can find (most of) them.

Vard

Post by Vard »

However, you probably have a directory mod inside your /store and IIRC that is where the mod installation files were kept (I think) and if those files are still there, the instructions regarding installation, including database changes, are there so that should allow undoing all database changes (manually)

The STK can also be used for that (and is probably safer than manual database editing) but I'm not uptodate with the latest version and I have no idea whether it delivers a totally clean database.

Your best bet is to use the STK on the database (but keep a complete backup: files and database) before making any changes.
Also realise that after using the STK, the changes necessary for the mods to work are not present anymore, and if you use your board with the modded files, you will get errors (so testing should be done with clean 3.0.12 files).
I do recommend testing at that stage because there's no point in trying to upgrade a database which already gives errors. And since you're using 3.0.12, you might as well update to 3.0.14 (an extra test - if it passes you're probably set to go).
Alright, I'm able to see that mod files are located in /store/mods. This gives me a much better idea of what's going on, but as to ascertaining what's been modified in the DB, you've lost me completely. There doesn't seem to be anything contained within this plethora of folders which coherently indicates to me what's been modified within the database or why, unless (and likely so) it is located in some other hidden chamber or detailed through various levels of crypsis.

So, two things come to mind. Let's start with the easiest first. You said that Also realise that after using the STK, the changes necessary for the mods to work are not present anymore, and if you use your board with the modded files, you will get errors and I kind of wish you'd have mentioned this earlier. It may be that, after I'd run STK to "clean the DB", I was getting the SQL errors because the MOD files in /store etc. were still present, if I'm understanding you correctly.

In a moment I'll try simply moving the store folder out temporarily after running STK and see if the errors reappear.

Now, in case this doesn't work, allow me to broaden my understanding with a bit of your assistance: Say I'm dealing with genders_1_0_2 for example, inside this folder is genders_mod_install.php. When I open it, I get:

I can see something's being done. I open the DB and search "gender", yields no results; there's probably just something I'm not understanding.

Anyway, let me try to use STK again. Happy New Year btw. I've had the same headache as I did last year. :lol:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”