Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 am
I'm trying to read up but I still don't understand a bit of this and I'd like to get my board running. If anyone else knows how to fix this issue, please let me know.

This is the first time I've had to sit with support for almost two weeks just to get something technical accomplished.
If you want I can have a look at it this evening.
I would need the database (situation before you started any cleaning) and preferably also the whole fileset.
Just to be clear, giving the database to someone implies that almost everything in that database is visible (not passwords) so if you have a problem with that (privacy issues or whatever) then don't do it.
If you do want to try it: upload everything (the working board) to a transferservice (database zipped and files+directorystructure zipped) and then PM me the link. (ow, perhaps also the link to the STK you used, or the STK itself).

Edit: offer not valid anymore for this evening, but valid for tomorrow evening (small window) or Thursday evening.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Vard

Post by Vard »

I'll pack all of it up and send it to you rather neatly with all of the required information via PM. I really appreciate you taking the time to get hands-on with it.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:56 pm
I'll pack all of it up and send it to you rather neatly with all of the required information via PM. I really appreciate you taking the time to get hands-on with it.
No problem. BTW leave all the MOD files in /store, in fact everything you have, in place - so that I can look at the mod install instructions.
And if possible give me an admin/founder account. I could make one myself if necessary but I prefer to see the board working before I manipulate anything.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:08 am
Don't remove the Gallery folder!!!
First read this:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... y/faq/2181

And maybe it is better to ask somebody here to do the update for you, someone who is more experience with phpbb and the Gallery extension.
First of all, I tried cleaning the db completely and then updating to 3.0.14 >>> no problem at all. Upgrading to 3.2.8 also went (almost) flawlessly (apparently there were still some leftovers but some manual database editing fixed that)

Then restarted and cleaned the 3.0.12 but left the gallery and updated to 3.0.14 >>> no problem at all. However, applying the edits to the gallery and then updating to 3.1.12 didn't work.

Frankly speaking, it's a (much too) time consuming procedure to continue on this path ( I have 4 parallel installations now, talking op 20 GB :shock: , and usbwebserver is a bit slow with Gigabyte databases).

I'm thinking it would be better just to restore the db to the clean 3.0.12 state and to upgrade to 3.2.9.
And after that decide on which mods to try and re-integrate as extensions. (the current 3.0.12 database should be kept with all the addons and it's probably possible to re-add the gallery at a later stage instead of trying to upgrade with the gallery present.)

I'll wait before continuing, perhaps janus_zonstraal has used the Gallery and can give some tips (the info in the extension topic is not very clear - to put it mildly).

Just to be clear, I'm not proposing to use this topic to discuss the reintegration of the gallery. That would be something specific for the extension topic itself. But it would be nice to get some advice on whether to just go for a clean upgrade and later adding the gallery data, or to try to fix the gallery during the upgrade process.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”