Renaming a topic? gggg

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
meissen

Renaming a topic? gggg

Post by meissen »

Hi all,

Dumb question - I know it has to be possible, but I'm not able to figure it out and I'm getting stumped. How do I rename a topic? As a site admin, I'm able to edit the subject for the 1st post and all subsequent replies, but when I view the forum it's still showing with the original topic name.

e.g. -- https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/view ... 52&t=22710 -- I want to rename the topic so it appears in the subforum as "#31 & #32 PE - The "Twins" are here!" but it's still showing as the original topic name "The "Twins" are here!"

I know there has to be a way to do this - just having a brain fart and not finding it.

Thanks in advance :)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Renaming a topic? gggg

Post by stevemaury »

I just edited your topic's first post title by adding four "g"s after it. That worked. It does not work for you?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

meissen

Post by meissen »

Ha, I got the reply notification e-mail and was thinking "Man, what a newb - my first post and I typo'd a bunch of g's in the title..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe it's a setting I have incorrectly set?

Here's the example topic -- https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/view ... 52&t=22710

I clicked the pencil to edit the first post and changed the subject to what I want it to be, but it still displays as "The 'Twins' Are Here!"
Capture.JPG

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

It looks renamed to me.

Do you have a caching service (such as Cloudflare) installed on your board?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:35 am
It looks renamed to me.

Do you have a caching service (such as Cloudflare) installed on your board?
If it was from Cloudflare cache no one would see any changes. To reiterate once again, Cloudflare does not cache HTML let alone files with PHP extensions unless you specifically enable it. In that case not only would the topic title not change but you would not see any replies to posts either.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Just comparing the links for the starting post and topic on your site and on phpBB, I notice a difference. Whether this is a the reason or not, I don't know.

phpbb:

topic: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2534146
post: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=15389241#p15389241

yoursite

topic: https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5552&t=22710
post: https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5552&t=22710#p22710

Is your viewtopic.php modifed (or posting.php/functions_posting.php)? Or are there extensions modifying that (or anything possibly relevant)

Did you try with disabling extensions (paybas/recenttopics, vse/topicpreviev, even phphbb/boardannouncements)?
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

meissen

Post by meissen »

I just went through and disabled the extensions that I had and tried going back and editing the topic, still not renaming for me. I don't have any modified code files, it's a pretty vanilla install of phpBB aside from the extensions I added (all put in the extensions folder - not overwriting any of the core files)

In this screenshot you can see that although I did edit the first post's subject, the topic overall is still unchanged.
Capture.PNG
And in this screenshot you can see it's still unchanged in the subforum that the topic belongs to.
Capture2.PNG

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

try emptying/cache (leaving index.htm and .htaccess in place) (just clear cache in the ACP) (it's a wild guess).

meissen

Post by meissen »

Emptied cache and tried editing the first post's subject again - no bueno.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am
post: https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5552&t=22710#p22710
I find it strange that the post_id is the same as the topic_id. It is possible (in theory).

But you have
44(visible) forums (+ a number of categories which I didn't count)
3055 topics
5506 posts
I would not expect post_id and topic_id being the same (both 22710).

If I were would compare the files you are using with a clean set and also look at the database (topics_table - first post and last post, etc.)

Added:
Your classified forum has forum_id = 27938 (that's strangely high for the size of your board)

Code: Select all

https://www.gmmgregistry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27938 

meissen

Post by meissen »

The forum was originally a phpBB forum, then was converted to bbPress which was a total disaster. So then I found a script to convert it back to phpBB. I'm assuming that's why the numbers seem so high. I guess that could be the culprit of why the topic can't be renamed too?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Can you post the SQL from the posts_table for all posts in that topic (the posts_text is unimportant) and also the SQL for that topic from the topics_table?

meissen

Post by meissen »

So when I viewed the posts table - I noticed that 3 of the 5 posts had a checksum and they were the ones that I had edited. So I went back and edited the next post in the topic that I hadn't edited yet and magically that worked - now the topic shows the correct "#31 & #32 PE - The "Twins" are here!" title!

Interestingly, each of the posts that DON'T have a username value are the ones that have the checksum.

Before editing the 2nd post in the topic:
Capture.JPG
After editing the 2nd post in the topic, the post_username value (4th Gen Camaro Addict) is no longer there but the checksum is now filled in.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”