How to stop uninvited posts flushing in my forum?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
cheunga

How to stop uninvited posts flushing in my forum?

Post by cheunga »

Hi guys,

There are tens of uninvited posts flushing into my forum from yesterday. I keep deleting those posts but they sneak in even after I locked the topic. Would you please tell me how to tackle it?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: How to stop uninvited posts flushing in my forum?

Post by warmweer »

cheunga wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:05 pm
There are tens of uninvited posts flushing into my forum from yesterday. I keep deleting those posts but they sneak in even after I locked the topic. Would you please tell me how to tackle it?
The Captcha you are using has been broken for ages. Bots can read those images easier than humans can.
Use a good Q&A, something only people really interested in your board will solve, and not a question for which the answer can simply be found on Google.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

cheunga

Post by cheunga »

warmweer, thank you for your reply but I do not quite get what you meant by "Use a good Q&A, something only people really interested in your board will solve, and not a question for which the answer can simply be found on Google." Since English is not my mother tongue, I could only do the best I can to explain in English about the problem I am facing.
Kindly tell me if there is ways I can solve this?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA.
The Captcha which you are using to block spammers from registering is so old that all bots can easily solve it, and also humans who have no interest at all in your board, but for spamming.
Using a Question and Answer you can prevent automatic registration if your question requires some real solving.
NOT what is 2+3 because that is a) too simple, b) type it into google and the answer comes immediately and c) bots can perform simple algebra

Unfortunately I can't read your language but if you ask a question (in the Q&A) about your board and force some maniputation of the answer, then the bots won't be able to pass that test (for some time).
For example, you could have a logo with a couple of words in it and the question could be : what is the second word in the logo, spelled backwards with inverted capitalisation.
If you logo contains : My FaBuLouS Site, then the answer would be/ sUOmUbAf.
Granted, some people may have difficulty but then if they are really interested, will probably use the contact form. Bots won't pass that test easily and human spammers will in many cases think it's not worth the effort and move on.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Q&A is question and answer.
So in "spambot prevention" in your ACP choose Q&A
Than ask a question with a answer you can't find in Google.

For this board you can ask, what is the name of the to figures in the header
Answer: snowman or snowmen
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

cheunga

Post by cheunga »

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help.
I checked & found the first two lines of "Forum Permissions" on the page where the uninvited posts flushed in was set as:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
I thought this should be the problem, read some phpbb posts on how to fix it and found a way to change the Forum Permissions for this page in ACP.
Deleted all uninvited posts. Looks like it's working.

Tough learning in the middle of the night for a phpbb dummy like me.
I guess it will be better if my forum to be upgraded to phpBB 3.3, that I need time to learn how to do it.

Thanks again for your assistance. Much appreciated.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”