Privacy concern with emoji

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
wolfbeast

Privacy concern with emoji

Post by wolfbeast »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.8
What is your board's URL? https://forum.palemoon.org/
Who do you host your board with? Self-hosted
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.6
What extensions do you have installed? Add User 1.0.4
Ban Hammer 1.0.8
Board Announcements 1.1.0
Board Rules 2.1.1
External Links Open in New Window 1.0.6
Log failed logins 1.0.1
Poster IP in Viewtopic 1.0.2
Sortables Captcha 2.0.1
Stop Forum Spam 1.1.9
Topic Solved 2.3.0
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver SE variants
What language(s) is your board currently using? en, en-US
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Not any specific action, I'm not sure how long this has been a core feature that causes the problem.
Please describe your problem. This is a privacy concern.
Despite the setting for "Allow usage of third party content delivery networks:" being set to "No", when a user posts an emoji in a post it is automatically converted by the board to an image at MaxCDN (or jsdelivr.net) instead of letting the browser render the emoji itself (all modern browsers support emoji display natively, either from an embedded font or by using OS fonts or fallbacks). There doesn't seem to be an option to prevent this behavior.
Generated by SRT Generator
wolfbeast

Re: Privacy concern with emoji

Post by wolfbeast »

It seems to be the s9e component at fault. It's hard-coded to load the emoji plugin and convert to images unconditionally.
For the time bring I've made a hack to it commenting out the relevant lines[1], purging the cache and reparsing all posts from the command-line, but it should be an inherent part of the phpBB setting to allow CDNs.

[1]https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/2c8 ... #L357-L367
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Looks like some work was done regarding this, but no fix was actually implemented or issue resolved yet.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15625
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Works will be resumed sooner or later I think.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity ΒΊ PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! πŸš€
John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

Why does it take so long to do a simple task? This was opened a year and 8 months ago and should have made its way into the new updates since then.

Wolfbeast striped this out in a matter of moments!

Just like that error "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

While I can't say I've had this issue in a while. At least once a week I see someone here post that error. And it seems the fix is to droop some security. I think it was tie forums to guest seasons or something.

At any rate. What core code changes are needed to fix this issue now?
Having spam problems? Install this extension and/or this script.
How to help protect your site from hackers.
0FL ?FE<JKCP K?@EB PFL ;<:F;<;β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ β€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€‹β€‹β β€Œβ€‹β€Œβ€Œβ€Œβ€‹ K?@J D<JJ8><t +?@EB 8>8@Ec
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Maybe you should ask a dev, one of them should be able to give you the lowdown on the workload.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle BroflovskiΒ©

Return to β€œ[3.2.x] Support Forum”