Moderation inconsistency and how to fix?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
P_I

Moderation inconsistency and how to fix?

Post by P_I »

Following on from viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2540741. The board requires the first post of newly registered members to be approved by a moderator. That has always been the case since the board was started in 2005. The board is running phpBB 3.2.9 and was updated in early January shortly after 3.2.9 was release.

We have found a moderation inconsistency on a topic where the ? icon appears in the viewforum listing and if they hover over it the tooltip "At least one post in this topic has not been approved" is displayed.

So our moderators looks over the topic, there are no unapproved posts. :?: The moderator uses the Quick-mod tools to view the topic log, there is nothing to approve. :?: The MCP Moderation queue doesn't have any Topics awaiting approval or Posts awaiting approval. :?:

Upon further review, there is a post in the topic from a new member from a couple of days ago, but this post is visible and has been quoted by another member. Double-checking the topic log again, the moderator can find no mention of this post being approved. :?:

Another moderator was active doing some moderation work around the time of this new post and we've checked with them and they believe it is possible they did actually approve the post. If so, why doesn't this show up in the MCP Topic Log?

A two part question
  1. How can we resolve this moderation inconsistency, particular making the ? icon disappear from the viewforum listing.
  2. How can we get MCP to recognize that this new member's post has been moderator approved?
For the technically inclined admins in the audience, peeking in the database, in particular the phpbb_posts table, it might provide some insight, but unfortunately the structure shown in Table.phpbb posts - phpBB Development Wiki doesn't match our board. Is the post_delete_user field overloaded and would it show a moderator's ID if they approved it? If so, what field would indicate whether it was deleted/approved/disapproved?

For an unapproved post, what values should be in the phpbb.post_visibility, phpbb_posts.post_delete_time and phpbb_posts.post_delete_user? What should the values change to when a moderator approves the post? What other tables/fields get updated?

Based on my layman's checking of the database and previous approved posts on our board this is what I think also should happen when a post is approved. When a post is approved, phpbb_topics.topic_posts_unapproved should be decremented and phpbb.topic_posts_approved should be incremented and should match the number of posts on the topic. Correct? There should also be a corresponding entry into the phpbb_log table correct?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lady_G

Re: Moderation inconsistency and how to fix?

Post by Lady_G »

I have a ? icon appearing in my Board index ("Last post" column of one forum) which has the same behaviour. Hovering over the tooltip displays "At least one post in this topic has not been approved". Clicking on the icon goes to the MCP Posts awaiting approval screen with the message "There are no posts waiting for approval."

My board has displayed this mysterious icon for several years - over many upgrades. Resynchronizing the forum indexes doesn't help (ACP --> Forums --> Manage Forums --> The "recycle" icon).

I think it may be the result of an inconsistency in a database upgrade conversion. My database is postgreSQL. I have not attempted to debug this further.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Lady_G, please start your own topic. Thanks.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Sorry, I thought it was similar to my problem. I have created a new topic: Post approval icon always displayed in the Board index

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”