phpBB 3.2.2 (SYNC)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Elsa Ballerina

phpBB 3.2.2 (SYNC)

Post by Elsa Ballerina »

Hello Everyone,

I have several dedicated servers which phpBB is available in the background so that knowledge is shared.

Through time, topics where added and others were removed which makes it very complicated to update the forums.

Is there a way or has anyone found a way to synchronize several same phpBB version?

Example:
- If a topic is added on server A, the topic gets synchronized on server B and C
- If a topic was edited on servers A, it would synchronized on server B and C
- If a topic was deleted on servers A, it would synchronized on server B and C
- If a user was added on servers A, it would synchronized on server B and C
- If a user was removed on servers A, it would synchronized on server B and C
- If a user updates their profile on servers A, it would synchronized on server B and C
...etc,.

Thank you in advance and good day.
Stay safe!

Regards,
Elsa Ballerina

david63

Re: phpBB 3.2.2 (SYNC)

Post by david63 »

Let me see if I understand what you are doing. Taking the example above you have three servers each with an identical copy of a phpBB board - is that correct?

If that is correct then there is nothing within phpBB that would achieve that and I cannot recall ever seeing anything that would do it. I'm sure that you could find some software that would synchronise sites - but forgive me for asking but why do you want to have three identical boards each on a separate server?

If, on the other hand, what you are looking for is some form of backup then there are many backup applications out there.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Elsa Ballerina

Post by Elsa Ballerina »

Hello david63,

I am not focusing on backing up the system, the servers are well under controller and properly scheduled for backup.

Indeed,they are several servers with 4 Exact phpBB:
ServerA
ServerB
ServerC
ServerD

The main function, usage of those servers are completely for something else but we have room to run at low level resource like this phpBB by capture some knowledge and sharing via this wonderful phpBB.

Simply put, we have remote satellite locations and the weather can sadly impact us. It can happen that we have two sites down and on rare occasions, even 3 sites down. The routing is set to go to either available server that is online.

With that in mind, everything on those servers works well. Everything is synchronizing fine and all our applications are good but no phpBB.

We made it easier by using MySQL to hold the database for the phpBB and... hmmm, it just hit me. Maybe I can look into comparing information from those SQL Database servers and update the tables where applicable.

That would be a possibility, I will need to look at this deeply and see what is possible with MySQL or if I would need to change the database all together.

Thanks!

Regards,
Elsa Ballerina

Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Can't you just connect all your phpbb installation to single database with the same table prefix?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-My Styles-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HexagonHexagonRebornCleanSilverProject Durango
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Need help with styling or want me to port a style to 3.2.x etc. contact me here or here.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

I would say your best bet would be to look into proper mysql database clustering. That way you can force synchronisation on database level instead of phpBB's level.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Elsa Ballerina

Post by Elsa Ballerina »

Paul wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm
I would say your best bet would be to look into proper mysql database clustering. That way you can force synchronisation on database level instead of phpBB's level.
Hello Paul,

Indeed, I need to look at it a bit more as I need to know that if any of the servers A, B, C, D, goes down, that the DB is still accessible and synchronizing properly once the server(s) come back by checking the DB and updating accordingly.

Thank you!

Regards,
Elsa Ballerina

Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

If you use a master master setup it should work. I have no experiences with more as two masters, but I would say it would work as well. And otherwise just choice for one master a stable location, and the others are just slaves, but you will need to test it carefully.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”