Option "Merge Posts" in MCP is missing.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ancient Viking

Option "Merge Posts" in MCP is missing.

Post by Ancient Viking »

Right now I am running phpBB 3.2.5 and plan to update directly to 3.3, but today I wanted to get myself familiar with the different mod tools.

So, I posted a simple post which only had the OP then I enter MCP, just find out where is the "Merge Posts" option.

I know I could merge posts in the earlier phpBB version, mostly in phpBB 3.0.x, but in phpBB 3.2.5 I can't find it. Am I missing something? :o
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Option "Merge Posts" in MCP is missing.

Post by KevC »

Pretty sure there's never been an option to 'merge posts'.

I've got an old test installation of 3.0.x and it's not in that either.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
david63

Post by david63 »

Do you mean "Merge topics"?

Merging pone post with another would not make sense.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

KevC wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:03 pm
Pretty sure there's never been an option to 'merge posts'.

I've got an old test installation of 3.0.x and it's not in that either.
My bad, you're right Kevin. Soon after I posted this I remember how it was back in 2011 when I was a staff member on GHF, which still use phpBB 3.0.x (probably the latest version).

Shortly after I join staff I was told to manually edit a post and copy the content then edit the post I wanted to merge with and add the copied content. Doing that is both tedious and unnecessary IMO, especially when I know what other forum software does e.g IPS (Local Moderator aka LM), XenForo (tested a demo over 5 years ago), vBulletin (former LM and moderator on TWC).

I know what mod tools I could use during my time as a moderator on TWC and below I listed a few, which I think phpBB should have by now.

Merge Posts (merging posts without manually editing both posts)
Delete Post as Spam (that mean deleting all posts a spammer have posted before banning a spammer)
Reports will auto post a thread in the staff room there moderation discuss the report before making a decision

Something like that and I have probably miss a thing or two.

Merging pone post with another would not make sense.
Why do you think it doesn't make sense? Can you elaborate that please?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I suggest you either make an extension request or post in the ideas forum.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:06 am
I suggest you either make an extension request or post in the ideas forum.
Hmm, I wonder what alternative has the best outcome. Probably the ideas forum.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

probably the extension request forum

the ideas forum is for people to suggest things for consideration to be put in the code for future versions.

even if they thought it would be a good idea, it would be likely years before it showed up in a future version.

if you ask for and extension, if someone finds it an interesting idea it could be created and available within days or weeks.

rob ert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

Well, I post it here in the Ideas forum, because I want it added into the code in future versions.

Besides, soon will people ask for better moderation as the time goes by, especially the next generation of people when both you and I are long gone.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, here is a pictorial long version and a note on the quick moderation. Since I am not sure whether this means move posts or merge topics, you are welcome to try out your career. The behavior is similar in each case.

Mod Tools move posts example
Mod Tools move posts example

You need perhaps a little practice and if your permissions are correct, you should be able to fulfill your request in the procedure or similar.
In my opinion it makes sense to open links in the new TAB (Quick Mod Tools and / or). So everyone has their own experiences or suggestions.

Greetings
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Ancient Viking wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am

Shortly after I join staff I was told to manually edit a post and copy the content then edit the post I wanted to merge with and add the copied content. Doing that is both tedious and unnecessary IMO, especially when I know what other forum software does e.g IPS (Local Moderator aka LM), XenForo (tested a demo over 5 years ago), vBulletin (former LM and moderator on TWC).

I know what mod tools I could use during my time as a moderator on TWC and below I listed a few, which I think phpBB should have by now.

Merge Posts (merging posts without manually editing both posts)
I read the other topic you started (in Ideas) and, neither here nor there do you explain how merging posts is done on the other forum(s), and you don't give an example of how you want it.
Fact is that when 2 posts have to merged, 2 posts will have to be selected, and one of them will become the resulting merger, and the other one (should probably be) the deleted post. It's entirely possible that those 2 posts are in different forums and that a complete merge isn't even the end result wanted. The simple solution is to have 2 tabs (or windows) open and to edit both posts which might even require less clicking than a moderation tool which would also require selecting a "keep" post and a "remove" post (especially when those are not in the same forum).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”