Problems attempting forum updates

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
buksida

Re: Problems attempting forum upgrades.

Post by buksida »

The CLI method also failed. I followed these instructions:
https://area51.phpbb.com/docs/dev/3.2.x ... arted.html

And got this error when trying to update the DB only:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method ftp::transfer() in /home/davos/public_html/includes/functions_transfer.php:284
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Did you try a other browser or private mode?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've tried this twenty times at least on various systems, and now direct with CLI - its not the browser!!!!
buksida

Re: Problems attempting forum updates

Post by buksida »

So no suggestions on the CLI failure?

I'm coming to the conclusion this software cant be updated (or nobody knows how to) so we're stuck on an old version or need to convert it into forum software that is easier to manage.

I know the server will be blamed, but we've just migrated to a brand new one running the latest versions of everything.
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

buksida wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:22 am
So no suggestions on the CLI failure?
You might want to use type: db_only instead of type: all in your upgrade YML configuration file, however (as the documentation says) you will need to replace some folders and files manually, either though SSH (scp, rsync) or with FTP.

Those files and directories are specified here:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/
buksida wrote:
I'm coming to the conclusion this software cant be updated
Not true, I've been doing upgrades for years, and also many users here have been upgrading and their boards with no major problems.
buksida wrote:
I know the server will be blamed, but we've just migrated to a brand new one running the latest versions of everything.
And that's not a problem, my server runs on bleeding edge versions of a LEPP stack, OS and kernel, firewall, WAF, etc., without problems.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
buksida

Post by buksida »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:42 am
You might want to use type: db_only instead of type: all in your upgrade YML configuration file, however (as the documentation says) you will need to replace some folders and files manually, either though SSH (scp, rsync) or with FTP.
Yes, I did exactly that - and uploaded the full 3.2.9 package manually. In fact, I tried it both ways resulting in the same error. The regular update method times out no matter what I try.

Do you know what the functions_transfer.php error (posted above) on means? I am not an expert on phpBB and its nuances.
AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:42 am
Not true, I've been doing upgrades for years, and also many users here have been upgrading and their boards with no major problems.
I'd be happy to pay for someone's services for this, its driving me nuts and I'm wasting hours on it. Is this something you could provide? (I have three forums on different servers and there are always problems upgrading them).
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

If I understand correctly.
You want to update from 3.2.2 to 3.2.9.

The procedure to follow = https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents ... pdate_full.
This is using the full package, but using the changed files packages is just as trustworthy
There are a couple of caveats though.

For one: from your printscreen it seems an autoupdate or patching was used which means your starting files may have been changed already and since there were problems, only the full package should be used to ensure that all previous errors are removed.
I'm assuming that you have a full files and database backup so that you still have 3.2.1 (or 3.2.2) in full working order.

Take into account that any file edits you made previously will have to be redone (and may not work on the new version of phpBB. In cases like this, it always a good idea to test an update (and modifications) on a personal webserver before doing a live update/grade
Second: since you're having a timeout problem: truncate the search tables - these can be refilled after updating
Third: before starting the update, eliminate all possible sources of problems: e.g. outdated extensions. This also includes language packs and styles.
Disable or uninstall anything you don't need before updating and check for updated versions.
And (as mentioned before): in /store remove any migrationsXXX, io_lock.lock and install_config.php before starting the update, and purge the cache before starting the update.
Looking at the size of your board - that shouldn't be a problem for updating (nor upgrading) at all and CLI shouldn't be necessary.

If you continue to have problems, I'm willing to have a look at your board and update it myself (on localhost) and then send it back to you. that would be Wednesday evening or Thursday at the earliest. You can PM me if necessary (oh, and no payment involved).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
buksida

Post by buksida »

@warmweer - massive thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it! I think the problem is updating the database but nobody seems to know how to fix it. Server is running MariaDB 10.2.32, PHP 7.2.

Yes - trying to update from 3.2.2 to 3.2.9 on a smaller board before I attempt it on the larger ones (which is why I want to get it right myself).

Here is what I have tried (rolling back to a full cpanel backup everytime):

Update directly to 3.3 following guide to the letter - fails timeout
Roll back
Update to 3.2.9 using automatic update method - fails timeout
Roll back
Update to 3.2.9 using changed files method - fails timeout
Roll back
Update to 3.2.9 using full package (delete everything aside from config.php, images/, files/, store/, ext/ directories) - fails timeout
Leave 3.2.9 files from previous update and use CLI to update db only - failed php error in functions_transfer.php
Roll back
Current situ - back to 3.2.2 forum is functioning as before

Each time a full cpanel backup is made, all extensions are disabled. There are no outdated styles or languages, its pretty much out of the box.
Second: since you're having a timeout problem: truncate the search tables - these can be refilled after updating
How to do this? Do you think this will solve it?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

buksida wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 am
How to do this? Do you think this will solve it?
Sometimes, that magically solves the problem. The search tables can easily take up half of your database size (what's the database size anyway? uncompressed) (and while you're at it, check the size of the search tables).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
buksida

Post by buksida »

DB size is 128Mb which is pretty small compared to our 'large forum' at 680Mb which we have no chance of updating if this one won't work.

Search table I presume is phpbb_search_wordmatch, it is about half at 67Mb and phpbb_search_wordlist is 10.9 Mb.

So you reckon I should empty these tables and try again? I guess this would be done by clicking 'Empty' for the table in phpMyAdmin?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

buksida wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 am
DB size is 128Mb which is pretty small compared to our 'large forum' at 680Mb which we have no chance of updating if this one won't work.

Search table I presume is phpbb_search_wordmatch, it is about half at 67Mb and phpbb_search_wordlist is 10.9 Mb.

So you reckon I should empty these tables and try again? I guess this would be done by clicking 'Empty' for the table in phpMyAdmin?
Yes, your 680 MB forum will then be only around 400 MB which shouldn't be a problem, certainly not using CLI.
So, truncate all 3 search tables (after successful update they can be repopulated).
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, will attempt that and try again in the next day or so, and report back.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well ... as expected no joy - exactly the same problems even with the search tables truncated. Installer method times out, CLI throws up the same error.
phpbbFAIL.jpg

Now where is that smashing my head against the wall emoticon ...

On the upside, I've got very quick at restoring this website. :roll:
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

If you already replaced the files, you could simply run the following command from your board root, not from the install/ directory:

Code: Select all

php bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
Which should fix it, since it won't try to use the ftp class.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

buksida wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:46 am
Well ... as expected no joy - exactly the same problems even with the search tables truncated. Installer method times out, CLI throws up the same error.

phpbbFAIL.jpg

Now where is that smashing my head against the wall emoticon ...

On the upside, I've got very quick at restoring this website. :roll:
Did you try using the upgrade method I linked to. With the small board that should never time out, with the large board CLI (safe mode) shouldn't time out. The important part is that a) the database should be ready for upgrading (cleaned) and the new files should be uploaded (+ cache emptied and the /store cleaned of superfluous files).

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”