Hosting UK2 upgrading to PHP 7.3 we are on 3.2.7

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BeBop

Hosting UK2 upgrading to PHP 7.3 we are on 3.2.7

Post by BeBop »

Hosting provider UK2 suddenly advised us they are upgrading to PHP 7.3 we are still on 3.2.7, anybody else in the same situation?

To top it all our only tech support is on holiday for two weeks and likely to have to coronavirus quarantine for a further two weeks on his return. I am told it is better to go to 3.2.9, then upgrade 3.3.0 then 3.3.1. We are trying to get more time on PHP 7.2 but may need some help urgently?

We have asked UK2 for an extra two months on PHP 7.2 due to the coronavirus pandemic, cases of the virus are rocketing into a second wave in the UK and we are both on the extremely vulnerable list!

We have been told not to use Automatic Update to do the upgrades in the past, but use file replacement, we have never achieved this with our present, or rather not present currently, technical support and lost attachment image files using automatic update. We really can't to do this again for the sake of our members workload who have to replace their images. I have tried to convert everybody to direct image insertions but not succeeded in every case, as these do not get lost.

Kind Regards BeBop
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Hosting UK2 upgrading to PHP 7.3 we are on 3.2.7

Post by HiFiKabin »

As long as you upgrade correctly all posts attachments and members will still exist. Follow the instructions to the letter, and if you come across a problem ASK, don't just skip that stage.

If you want to check things first you can always make a test conversion locally.

Notes:
  • phpBB 3.3 is not completely backwards compatible with 3.2 and custom edits may no longer work. The easiest upgrade method is to remove all existing files prior to upgrading and re-applying custom changes after verifying their correctness.

To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.3. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.If in doubt, disable the extension.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.2.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /ext/ directory
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.3.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  12. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  13. Delete or rename the /install/ directory

Remember, BACKUP first. That way if something does go wrong you have the original set of files and database to fall back on.
P_I

Post by P_I »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 am
Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.3. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.If in doubt, disable the extension.
The [3.2][3.3][RC] Extension .yml check extension is very helpful to aid in this purpose. The OP can install it on their existing board.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Also, if you follow the directions to backup your files and database, you cannot lose attachment files.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Dear HiFiKabin and the ever present Steve Maury plus P_I,

Thank you so much for all your support board help, thanks to the consistent support advice of you fine people in the technical background, we enjoyed an amazingly smooth upgrade from 3.2.7 to 3.3.0 or 3.3.1. <removed links>

You gentlemen and ladies provide a superbly responsive service.

KIND REGARDS

BeBop
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links, pleas don't post links to your site unless you need to or are asked. Thanks.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”