As long as you upgrade correctly all posts attachments and members will still exist. Follow the instructions to the letter, and if you come across a problem ASK, don't just skip that stage.
If you want to check things first you can always make a test conversion locally.
- phpBB 3.3 is not completely backwards compatible with 3.2 and custom edits may no longer work. The easiest upgrade method is to remove all existing files prior to upgrading and re-applying custom changes after verifying their correctness.
To upgrade, perform the following steps:
- Make a back-up of the original files and database
- Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
- Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.3. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.If in doubt, disable the extension.
- Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
- Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
- Delete all of your phpBB 3.2.x files EXCEPT for the following:
- Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.3.x Full Package (EXCEPT for
config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original
- Browse to
- Click the Update tab
- Click the Update button
- Select "Update database only" and click Submit
- Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
- Delete or rename the
Remember, BACKUP first. That way if something does go wrong you have the original set of files and database to fall back on.