Change post order

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CarolC1

Change post order

Post by CarolC1 »

Hi,

Does anyone know of an extension/mod that allows you to change post order within a topic? The board is 3.2.5.

I checked the extensions database but might have missed something.

Thanks
P_I

Re: Change post order

Post by P_I »

CarolC1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
Hi,

Does anyone know of an extension/mod that allows you to change post order within a topic?
Am I missing something because users already have control of the display order via:

User Control Panel ==> Board preferences ==> Edit display options, directly link ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

It's a default feature
postorder.jpg
postorder.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 851 times
And users can set their preference in UCP > Board preferences > Edit display options
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Sorry, I was unclear. I want to create a new topic with a descriptive title. Then I want to attach copies of some individual posts to the topic to highlight them. But when you merge, the resulting merged topic has the posts in order of date posted, putting my new-topic-post-with-descriptive-title at the end. I want to be able to re-order the posts in the topic.

Thanks

EDIT TO ADD: I want to do it without going into the database because there are going to be a lot of these topics.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, but the reason they are sorted by date is because that is the sorting order YOU have selected in your UCP. Other users may have selected a different sort order. What order do you want them sorted in?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
david63

Post by david63 »

David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Thanks for your reply.

There is no short way to explain this, I'm sorry.

The board is nearly 20 years old and it is a support forum. Over the years some great ideas have been posted. I would like to highlight some of them in a new forum.

Many of the great ideas are contained inside longer topics, which contain posts both relevant and irrelevant to the great idea. I am in the process of copying some topics to the new forum and deleting irrelevant posts to trim them down to the idea only.

The issue is the title of the topic. A typical example would be a great idea posted in the middle of a topic titled "New here need help", and the relevant posts are all titled Re: New here need help.

If the title is not changed, nobody browsing the highlight forum will know what the topic is about. But I am stuck because I do not feel right copying a member's post to the highlight forum and then changing the title on it. Some admins/moderators might have no qualms but I just would not feel right doing it.

So I was hoping I could create a new topic with a title that accurately describes the great idea that was posted, and then attach the relevant post(s) to it (with whatever titles they originally had intact and untouched). In my post, while creating the new topic, I could also put a link back to the original topic for users to read in full if they want.

But when I create the post for the new topic and merge the relevant posts, my post is going to be attached at the end of the topic. I want it at the beginning.

Thanks

EDIT TO ADD: david63 thanks, I need that for something else, thank you very much. In the case of changing post times, some of these posts were pre-2003 when I joined.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:22 pm
Try this extension - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _post_time
With that extension a post can be moved to be in first position (sortorder post_time ascending) and that will solve CarolC1's "problem" :thumbsup:
That's the extension I use the most: each new topic gets a descriptive post made by me and antedated so that it's the first (mind the sortorder).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

The only thing is, if it's antedated to a date before my joined date? I joined in 2003 and a few of the posts are pre-2003.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

CarolC1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 pm
The only thing is, if it's antedated to a date before my joined date? I joined in 2003 and a few of the posts are pre-2003.
Don't worry about that. If it does matter, you could always edit your registration timestamp but there will be an inconsistency in the sense that your user_id will be a higher number than that of some members who in reality registered before you, but for their registration timestamp being later yours.
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

I really can't change my registration date as it is important for it to continue to be obvious that there are members on the board with more experience (longevity, seniority, knowledge, judgment, dedication) who are the heart of the board, but thanks for the suggestion, that might work for someone on another board.

I could conceivably create a user specifically for this purpose, a forum moderator with an early joined date, possibly matching the board create date. I'm not worried about user_id mismatch, I don't think people generally pay attention. In fact, a username just came to me. I need to run it by the rest of the group and see what they say.

Then the extension would be brilliant.

Thank you!
david63

Post by david63 »

You can, of course, change the poster name from the MCP tools
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Yes, I've used that and it would come in handy, thanks.

Last night I installed the Change Post Time extension on the test board and got PHP errors at the top of the screen. Checked and the server is on PHP 7.3 (board is 3.2.5). The board had actually been running fine until then. I uninstalled the extension and the errors went away, but I thought about it this morning. I may try it again and see if the extension works with the server set as it is. I did not actually try to use it last night, just saw the errors and uninstalled.

Possibly I could get all the posts moved into the new forum (which is currently hidden from public view while under construction) on the live board and then install the extension some night, change all the dates, and uninstall it again. Either that or upgrade to 3.3.x. I saw in the extension discussion where RMcGirr83 tested it and it worked on 3.3.1. I'd rather have it remain installed and continue to work because I know we are going to find more posts to highlight after the highlight forum goes live. Right now I'm moving the ones I can think of and that moderators have suggested, but later more will be found by tripping over them.

Thanks for suggesting the extension, otherwise I'm not sure how this project would get done. And thanks to the person who wrote/updated it from the old version.
david63

Post by david63 »

CarolC1 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm
Last night I installed the Change Post Time extension on the test board and got PHP errors at the top of the screen.
What were the errors?
David
CarolC1

Post by CarolC1 »

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-stdlib/src/ArrayObject.php on line 426: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 272: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 275: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 281: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 287: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 296: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 314: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/zendframework/zend-code/src/Reflection/MethodReflection.php on line 319: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 137: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3314)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_acp.php on line 137: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3314)
When I searched the error here it looked like it might be that the PHP version on the server is not compatible, but I don't know.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”